Change font size
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:22 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: STI Wing Install on SF5?
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm 

Vehicle: 2000 5MT

I know this is a popular mod, and I have an STI wing on the way for my 2000. I do not have a factory wing installed, so my hatch doesn't have any holes drilled into it. If you did this mod "from scratch", how did you go about installing? Is there a template floating around to use, to know where to drill the holes? And one thing I haven't been able to find out is how it bolts on. I know there is a stud on each side that you use a nut on, but there is also another fitting on the wing that has the cap over it. Does a bolt go through the top and secured with a nut as well? Or how does that one attach? Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Post subject: Re: STI Wing Install on SF5?
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm 

I Say: Keep the hammer down
Vehicle: 02GT/6MT

5 holes are needed. I did mine by eye and used images from yahoojapan of rear SF tailgates for sale to make sure the holes were in the right places. You could also make a paper template using the wing itself.

1 x Wiring. This plugs into the current rear brake light wiring and there is a cover available to blank your current upper rear light.
2 x Internal nut. This is the stud on each side.
2 x Plastic clip and screw. A plastic clip goes through the wing in to the panel and a screw spreads the clip and locks it in place.

With the foam sealing tape, make sure its in place or replace to seal the bolt points and wiring against the elements.

Always getting logged out? Drop the .au, ozfoz.com.au

Wanted to buy: Rays Volk CE28N 17x8 +44 PCD5x100 10 spoke, Qty: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:37 pm 

waali wrote:
5 holes are needed. I did mine by eye and used images from yahoojapan of rear SF tailgates for sale to make sure the holes were in the right places. You could also make a paper template using the wing itself.

1 x Wiring. This plugs into the current rear brake light wiring and there is a cover available to blank your current upper rear light.
2 x Internal nut. This is the stud on each side.
2 x Plastic clip and screw. A plastic clip goes through the wing in to the panel and a screw spreads the clip and locks it in place.

With the foam sealing tape, make sure its in place or replace to seal the bolt points and wiring against the elements.

I know for a fact that the wing has a stud on each side. There are also the plastic clips under the outer caps, however the screws are missing. Do you know the size of screw that is needed in order to make sure the plastic clip spreads?

As for the blanking cover, is there another car this can come off of or is it Forester specific? Is there a part number I should search for?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:04 pm 

Measurements for the install i worked out for mine.

bmxgt wrote:
Bottom hole 890mm apart 15mm up from glass
Top hole 860mm apart
65mm in from edge
Wire hole is 35mm from bottom across and 35mm up from glass.
Four holes 10mm
Wire hole 20mm
Have everything central using the washer jet as center.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:03 am 

bmxgt wrote:
Measurements for the install i worked out for mine.

bmxgt wrote:
Bottom hole 890mm apart 15mm up from glass
Top hole 860mm apart
65mm in from edge
Wire hole is 35mm from bottom across and 35mm up from glass.
Four holes 10mm
Wire hole 20mm
Have everything central using the washer jet as center.

So for clarification purposes:

Bottom hole (the stud) is to be drilled 15mm above the glass. 445mm from the washer jet.
Top hole (plastic clip) is to be drilled 430mm from the washer jet. Where is the 65mm measurement coming from?
Wiring hole is to be drilled 35mm above the glass. 480mm from the washer jet (35mm to the right of the stud hole)

Is this correct? The only thing is the 65mm measurement...when you say 65mm from the edge, where exactly am I to measure from? The glass?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:24 pm 

I'm pretty sure I measured it all from the glass man. It was a long time agoe

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:21 am 

What type of nut is used on the stud? And also, what size screw do I need for the plastic clip up top? The wing that I have does not have the screw or the nut for installation.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]