Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:32 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Towbar DIY or Fitted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:28 am 

Vehicle: MY15 2.5i-L

Have a NA 2.5i auto Forester 2015 model, no rear sensors, just rear camera.

Will be needing a Towbar to tow one of those tray trailers for moving sometime in September 2017. Also plan to tow a small tinny with small engine for light fishing crabbing in the local creek next year.

I have some experience with basic servicing of my car and don't mind getting under and dirty, but have never done a towbar install before. So just wondering what you guys recommend regarding below

1) Brand and costs of Towbar - Hayman Reese? Don't need something fancy, just someting regular since I am not planning to tow anything major.
2) Type of towbar end - I saw some sold online with ball end or flat with like holes in a circle or in a line.
3) DIY kit or fitted? What's the rough difference in costs?
4) If DIY, what special tools,like metal drill, clamps, etc?
5) Budget around $600

look forward to your suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Towbar DIY or Fitted
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 pm 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

If it's anything like all the previous foresters, fitting a tow bar is easy easy. You'll need the specific one made to match your vehicle, so lookup the hayman reese catalogue.
Will be ~4 bolts to attach it, will probably need to drop the back end of the exhaust system temporarily while you fit it.
Your existing wiring will have the trailer support built in; there'll be a spare female socket in the rear door behind the plastic inner lining that the hayman reese wiring will plug into.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:43 pm 

Vehicle: 2009 Forester XT

I fitted once recently to my SH. I used a locally made Boronia towbars unit. It required drilling two holes in the spare wheel well and trimming of the rear bar, but otherwise was a bolt on affair.

The loom provided was a plug in affair and did not require additional power or relays.

It did also come with a handy feature, the pin to secure the tongue has a lock so noone can come and pinch the tongue when parked on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 2.5XT Premium - Dark Grey

I considered these guys below when I was looking for a towbar for my SH but I found a genuine unit for a good price elsewhere.
http://www.towbarsaustralia.com.au/towb ... forester-2
Their online quote calculator indicates $557 plus shipping for your model.
They let you choose which type for the trailer wiring connector plug, just depends what you may already have to attach to it. I've always preferred the flat 7 pin plug over the round ones.

The 50x50mm Hayman Reese tongue is a pretty common size for Towbar attachments like bike racks and is usually associated with towbars that are heavier duty than the 40x40mm ones. Bigger has always seemed better to me, just in case.

I'm not a mechanic or anything but am a bit handy and the towbar wasn't difficult to install, just followed the detailed instructions provided, backed up by some videos online for some tips and tricks. Not sure what the fitted price would be, might be a 1-2 hour job for someone experienced, took me longer but I was being slow and methodical.

No special tools as far as I can recall, socket set, spanners, coping saw for the bumper cutout and I used a plastic pipe burr trimmer to tidy up the saw cut. I used my new Torque Wrench when tightening the bolts, but only because I could, I mean it's just a towbar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Yikes, do the SH onwards require a bumper cutout?
Gecksta wrote:
I considered these guys below when I was looking for a towbar for my SH but I found a genuine unit for a good price elsewhere.
http://www.towbarsaustralia.com.au/towb ... forester-2
Their online quote calculator indicates $557 plus shipping for your model.
They let you choose which type for the trailer wiring connector plug, just depends what you may already have to attach to it. I've always preferred the flat 7 pin plug over the round ones.
We've done three so far on SG's and we used them for supply on the first two. Same story (except the cutout bit!) Last one we found a local HR agent who had it even cheaper (and no freight).

Certainly on the SG it's case of following the instructions and making sure all the spacers and bits go in the right place.

From some suppliers the heavy duty ones do require fixing a brace to the wheel well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:05 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP

I installed a secondhand oem one on my wifes SJ. They come up on eBay quite often for SFA.

Basically a bolt on effort - the hardest bit is doing the cutout on the rear bar but it has a template so its simple.

Make sure you get the loom and you'll be done in a couple of hours with a few sockets and screwdrivers.

Pretty sure the instructions are on techinfo if you want to see what you'd be getting into.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:38 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

If you go brand new mate go with BTA (boronia) locally made and been doing it since Moses used one to hook up his ark

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions ;) ,

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 am 

Oh are there any tow bar installs that don't involve cutting through the rear bumper ?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:16 pm 

Vehicle: Forester

A class III or IV towbar hitch is a good choice for your needs. I've seen some on 4 wheel online and ebay.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next