Change font size
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: MY03 Forester XT - JDM black mesh grille upgrade?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:39 pm 

Vehicle: MY03 XT - Black

I recently bought a 2003 Forester XT and want to get rid of the stock grille and put on one of the JDM black mesh style grilles - Like the one shown here:

http://www.ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 541aed8f64

Where is the best place to try and find one of these? Will it bolt straight on to my Forester? Some places say it will and others say you need to replace the front bumper as well. Any advice from someone who has done this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Looks like the cross-sports grille I linked to is not compatible with the MY03 XT, without replacing the bumper etc.

But is there another JDM Black mesh style grille that would go straight on? I haven't been able to find much...

Post subject: Re: MY03 Forester XT - JDM black mesh grille upgrade?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:13 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

The bolt on grille options for the stock 03-05 SG Front bar are very limited, as you have discovered if you want the Crossport or STI look you are going to need the whole front end. DC Jap imports can get you the body parts but its money. About the only grill option that fits the 03-05 front bar is this one https://dcjapautomotive.com/collections ... 7401059974 but you also need the two headlight garnish to go with it, this is what i have on my XT, it's a mesh grill with a mid bar.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:11 pm 

Thanks mate,

That is pretty much exactly what I was after (and unable to find). I don't actually love the cross-sport/sti front end anyway so I am glad there is another way to get the grille I wanted.

Did you get yours professionally painted somewhere or did you just spray it yourself? I'm worried if I do it that it may not match the car as well as if a proper place did it. On that note if anyone knows a good car paint/detail place around Brisbane that would be good to know.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:11 am 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

http://www.ultrex.com.au/index.php?main ... cts_id=210

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:47 am 

Venerator wrote:
Thanks mate,

That is pretty much exactly what I was after (and unable to find). I don't actually love the cross-sport/sti front end anyway so I am glad there is another way to get the grille I wanted.

Did you get yours professionally painted somewhere or did you just spray it yourself? I'm worried if I do it that it may not match the car as well as if a proper place did it. On that note if anyone knows a good car paint/detail place around Brisbane that would be good to know.

Yeah I got mine done by a professional shop not because I couldn't do it myself just didn't have the gear to do a mint job but I saved time and money be doing the prep work myself, cleaning and sanding back ready for painting, in the end the grille came out perfect colour match very high quality work cost a few hundred. Word of advice when changing the grille you will need to purchase new grille clips, can be sourced from a dealer or via OS for half the cost because after nearly 15 years they go brittle and break.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:37 am 

Vehicle: my07 xt silver

try japan parts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:14 am 

^^ Japan Parts are awesome so much goodness, freight on body parts is expensive but grilles not so bad.

These are the two for the stock XT bumper and even better come prepainted in correct colour codes.
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/15138

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 am 

Getting one prepainted from japanparts would be tempting, but for some reason they don't have the color code I need (18L). Otherwise the type 2 sports grille they have looks like what I have been after.

Getting the other one painted shouldn't be too much of a problem though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]