Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Standard Chassis height
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:12 am 

I Say: I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say
Vehicle: MY11 S Edition Steel Silver

stumped wrote:
what is this eyebrow you speak of?

"Eyebrow height" is the distance from the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the guard.

Sackster wrote:
We are just crazy. That's all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:40 am 

I Say: I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say I say
Vehicle: MY11 S Edition Steel Silver

Quote:
The heights provided by the manufacturers to all the "RTA" sites are what are now used, and that these heights give the minimum allowable eyebrow measurements (nothing to actually do with either ADR43 or the 1/3 suspension travel rules used on their own or together - but also these manufacturer measurements are taken as gospel

Firstly... glad to hear you got through this relatively painlessly!!!

Secondly......This eyebrow height requirement is interesting......

The ACT have advised that they have adopted the NCOP requirements (i.e. VBS14). Nowhere in the NCOP requirements is there reference (that I can find) to an eyebrow height requirement. What they are saying is that it is now impossible to lower a vehicle below the min OEM height, and justifying this by using an eyebrow height requirement that is not referenced in the NCOP requirements. NCOP allow raising a vehicle by up to 2", and this would also not meet the eyebrow height requirement either under their interpretation.

It seems to me that they only have half of the equation/information that they should be using. The manufacturers specs for OEM eyebrow height are needed, as well as the manufacturers specified suspension travel. Using this information and the 1/3 rule in VBS14, a min lowered eyebrow height would then be established for each vehicle type.

I might get this situation looked at by an engineer.......

Cheers

John

Sackster wrote:
We are just crazy. That's all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:40 am 

I Say: bring me a shrubbery!
Vehicle: MY00 GT no more :-(

thanks john... just reading thru the other thread of ozgumps and it's starting to make sense. nice post over there btw 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:55 pm 

I Say: The New Purchase (weekender only though) - Foz is still the daily driver
Vehicle: 1975 Porsche 911 S 3.2

Yes it certainly is very confusing John. The guys yesterday weren't 100% certain about it all themselves - which is why I tried discussing the information you provided in the other thread - but they reckon they can only go off what Subaru provided to them (which kind of negates the whole VSB14 part 11 blurb about ground clearances and 1/3 suspension changes as well as ADR43)!!! So why have them I ask.....

Perhaps I should write to Subaru Australia and see if they can shed any light and also see if they would consider adjusting the figures they provide to national "RTA" types for cars like ours - one set of measurements for those that actually go off road (soft-road) and one set for those of us that use them as everyday street vehicles similar to the WRX - afterall from what I understand (particularly for my model on) its basically a WRX underneath the Forester body parts anyway as far as drive train, engine, chassis, etc goes but just with a Foz body instead of a Rex sedan/wagon body put on top of it. And then see what they say.

Any suggestions/comments about that anybody??

MY06XT, VF34 P18, 3" TBE, Catless Up-pipe, Tein Coilovers (RUS Dickson App'd), 22mm Sways F & R, Whiteline Strutbrace, STi Inj, Walbro Fuel Pump, Ozzy Decades, PW TMIC, Cusco Heat Shield, Resonatorectomy, Silicon, STi Bugeye Scoop, 206.6Kw atw!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:19 pm 

I Say: bring me a shrubbery!
Vehicle: MY00 GT no more :-(

(mods - is it worth merging these two threads somehow? just a thought...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:51 am 

I Say: The New Purchase (weekender only though) - Foz is still the daily driver
Vehicle: 1975 Porsche 911 S 3.2

Hi All,

Well here is the transcribed document that I was given by the ACT Inspectiors regarding lowering of vehicles. Note that the final statement says that ALL of these dot points MUST be met - not any single one on its own..... I'm assuming this will be standard nationwide before too long.

QUOTE:
Requirements for modified “Lowered vehicles”

• A vehicle must maintain 100mm ground clearance with the equivalent of 68Kg in each seated position of the vehicle. This means that any part of the underneath of the vehicle must be a minimum of 100mm from the ground, this includes the exhaust system.

• The vehicle must maintain two thirds of its original bump stop clearance. This does not mean that the vehicle can have modified bump stops fitted in order to meet the requirements.

• No part of the steering, suspension or body may be fouled by the wheel/tyre combination on any of the vehicles’ steering or suspension travel.

• No part of the suspension or vehicle may be loser than the bottom of the wheel rim.

• A minimum acceptable vertical measurement from the wheel centre to top of the wheel arch must be maintained, as per manufacturers specifications.

• The original relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be changed and therefore the front and rear suspensions must be both raised or both lowered by the same amount.

Vehicles must meet all the above requirements as set out in the ACT Vehicle Inspection Manual, the National code of Practice and the Manufacturer’s specifications.
UNQUOTE

MY06XT, VF34 P18, 3" TBE, Catless Up-pipe, Tein Coilovers (RUS Dickson App'd), 22mm Sways F & R, Whiteline Strutbrace, STi Inj, Walbro Fuel Pump, Ozzy Decades, PW TMIC, Cusco Heat Shield, Resonatorectomy, Silicon, STi Bugeye Scoop, 206.6Kw atw!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 pm 

I Say: What ever my wife tells me to say....
Vehicle: MY07 XT - Burgandy

So with this minimum 2/3 bump stop clearance, how does this affect the guys with coil-overs, as the ride is adjusted independent of the spring seats.

With the car having to maintain 100mm clearance under the car including the exhaust. that is different to NSW laws, when i was defected in my old car for being to low, i took it to the RTA lot and they said it was the lowest fix part, doesn't include body kits or exhaust and its mounts.
Whereas the retards in VIC hammered me on the lot, and red stickered my car.
Was not impressed to say the least.

Would be so much better if they had the same standards throughout Australia to make life easier on modifiers and the inspectors.

De-Tuned Family Wagon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT SWP

SH9 attached from the FSM.

Attachments:
File comment: SH Forester
SH9.PNG
SH9.PNG [ 47.23 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:28 pm 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

I know it's a bit of a thread mine, but since the photobucketocalypse the pictures in the OP aren't working any more. Would anyone be able to either repost them, or tell me the stock wheel arch to center of wheel heights front and rear for an SF?

Thanks.

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3