Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2013 XTP SJ - the road to better handling
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 am 

Vehicle: 2013 XTP

I have some experience racing. Time Attack in my Supra and off road with the Finke. I love racing.... so why not use the skills I’ve learnt to make my family safer.

First step? By a SUV (for the family) that is AWD all the time - because activating AWD once slip has occurred is too late!

So. Step 1: buy the car the wife wants XTP. Done!

Step 2: MCA suspension. I’ve raced at WTAC for many years. Murray Coote knows road suspension.

Step 3: install as low as stock LCA’s will handle and corner balance

Step 4: see if under, neutral, or oversteers. If either of the 1st or last then install whiteline adj swaybar and tune out.

Step 5: decent width tyres! 225?! Are you kidding me????

Step 6: I tow so prob change the brakes out to handle multiple stops/towing etc

Well the journey starts. I need real data so the video choc will come in handy.

Post subject: Re: 2013 XTP SJ - the road to better handling
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:32 am 

So MCAs are purchased. I want comfort as well so went for MCA Street Essentials with 6kg fronts and 4.5kg rears.... let’s see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:19 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

Looking forward to seeing how this comes along mate!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:56 pm 

So I installed the MCA's, very easy install on the 2013 SJ. Took me about 3 hours from start to finish including getting my dog back after he escaped through my garage when I had it open.

Initially set them to ground scrapingly low clearance of 90mm... rode in it and it was harsh, not hard or bone jarring, just harsh. Not what I wanted.

So the next day, I re-set the suspension to 1 finger clearance on the front and two fingers on the rear and 1 click softer allround (MCA recommend 8/5 clicks - preset). The car rides like a dream now. I would go so far as to say it is SOFTER than before over bumps and corners like a dream. To qualify this my dad has broken his back twice and rode in it and my wife is pregnant. Both said it is 'extremely' comfortable. Kudo's to MCA!

Of course I now have the issue where it needs a wheel alignment, and to do so I have read I need LCA for the rear and perhaps Toe arms.

I took the car for a test ride and it still understeers mid and corner exit (didn't test corner entry). No chance for a thorough test with the video vbox, but it counts. So the camber is very negative (guessing around 2/3 degreees f/r). The front is lower than the rear, and I couldn’t feasibly lower the front more (scrubs) or increase the rear more (looking odd).

I don’t want to increase the stiffness of the rear spring weight (springs are perfect), so I have to turn to the rear sway bar to remove understeer. I know it’s not a performance vehicle, but all vehicles should be able to be balanced around a corner within reason. It is only 1607kgs, it’s not crazy heavy…

pics

Last edited by alj on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:46 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

Photos or it didn't happen!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:53 am 

Vehicle: Diesel S4

Hi All,
I recently purchased a 3 year old SJ diesel Forester entry level with CVT. An awesome vehicle with one issue that is bothering us. The ride comfort is way to harsh when not loaded. Even with recommended tire air pressure we feel every bump. Family of 4 and they all feel car sick from the bumpy city ride. Never an issue in any of our other vehicles or 4x4's.

Can we fit the rear end shock/spring assembly out of the XT which has self leveling I understand?

Is it just the rear end or the front as well that is super stiff?
Will this give a more comfortable ride? I'm guessing Subaru fitted a firm rear end in the SJ Forester to compensate for when it is loaded and removed the softer self leveling units?

Any help appreciated. Who has OE left overs I could try? Or would the soft adjustable MCA's resolve this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

diesel_forest wrote:
Hi All,
I recently purchased a 3 year old SJ diesel Forester entry level with CVT. An awesome vehicle with one issue that is bothering us. The ride comfort is way to harsh when not loaded. Even with recommended tire air pressure we feel every bump. Family of 4 and they all feel car sick from the bumpy city ride. Never an issue in any of our other vehicles or 4x4's.

Can we fit the rear end shock/spring assembly out of the XT which has self leveling I understand?

Is it just the rear end or the front as well that is super stiff?
Will this give a more comfortable ride? I'm guessing Subaru fitted a firm rear end in the SJ Forester to compensate for when it is loaded and removed the softer self leveling units?

Any help appreciated. Who has OE left overs I could try? Or would the soft adjustable MCA's resolve this issue.

Not sure on the Diesel models but as far as I know, the self-levelling struts were only on the SH (09-13) XTP models, with the exception of the S-Edition which used normal struts/springs. Are you sure there's been no modifications to your car prior to purchasing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 am 

Vehicle: Diesel S4

I'm sure the Forester is super stock without mods. Checked the suspension shocks still have original OE label. I know it's a shorter wheel base and apparently on an Impreza chassis but our previous Liberty's and Outback's were a dream in ride comfort.

I have read on USA web sites of people complaining of the S4 Forester "bumpy" ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm 

JamesMR_ is right. ALL SJ models are not self leveling.

I am surprised you thought the stock ride is harsh. Might be an issue with your specific car's suspension. First thing I'd do if I was you is buy a XTP.. oops I mean 'test drive another deisel Foz', see if it has the same ride. Thus eliminating the possibility it's only your car.

I gaurantee that Street Essential MCA's would solve your problem. I went with 6/4.5kgs and went down 1 click softness on all corners. Its softer on the bumps than stock, yet handles better when you push it. The magic of qaulity parts with a suspension expert that has built the suspension specific for the platform.

If you go with their default springs 5/3.5 and go down 2 clicks from their recommendations you would have Bentley smooth ride... even if you didnt like it you could go fully soft on the valving.

If you come up to Brissie I could take you for a ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm 

OKay, so on another note. I ordered 22mm whiteline RSB and Whiteline LCA...

Also tested against JamesMR_'s SH in a brake test (albiet before the suspension install) and stopping distance for his SH @50kms/hr was 5feet and the stock SJ was 7.5feet. He has QFM HP-X pads and swapped to Liberty GT front brake rotors/calipers.

So I have bought A1RM front pads ('cause I tow at full capacity 1800) and HPX rear (cause I want it to stop when pads are cold). For those that dont know, front brakes do all the work when stopping, rear do little in proportion).

So we will test again when they are installed.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next