Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 2013 XTP SJ - the road to better handling
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm 

Vehicle: 2013 XTP

My plan was to install bigger rims so I can install some STi Brembo's I have sitting on the shelf. But if these pads bring the braking in-line then I wont change the rims.

Speaking to a tyre expert, you can comfortably go to 235/50R18's on a 7 inch rim (perfect calls for 7.5"). Because it is a 50% sidewall you can go wider. Tyre and Rim Association of Australia Standards Manual (pic) says you can actually go 255/50R18, but Im not keen to test that theory.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:30 pm 

Vehicle: 2013 XTP

If I could I would buy Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but they just don't do them in the 235/50R18 size.

So researching 235/50R18's, I've found the following max summer tyres with trusted brands:

-Pirelli Pzero
-Bridgestone RE003
-Yokohama Sport V105

In tests (Tirerack.com tests are the only ones I trust) Yoko's are pretty even with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport and actually exceed them in the wet. I might be giving them a try. Unless I get a deal on one of the others on the list.

eg
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=174

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:43 pm 

Vehicle: 15 FXT and Parting out 02 GT

Nice work! Very cool with the suspension, I will go a similar way if I ever change it. We occasionally go down a rough road needing a bit of clearance so dont think i will just yet.

I have the Bridgestone RE003 tyres on the oem rims and really like them, although I dont have a direct comparison to the other tyres. Got them on a buy 3 get the 4th free deal so worked out pretty good.

Do you have a CVT cooler? Im thinking about getting one and I dont even tow, I think if you tow its a must.

My favourite recent mod has been the torque solutions steering dampener (perrin also make one). Improves the steering feel considerably, I used to find it sloppy. Mid corner I would be constantly overcorrecting, whereas after fitting this I can make small precise changes and hold the wheel nice and steady. Quick transitions like small roundabouts are also considerably better.

https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/torque-solution-steering-damper-lockdown-subaru-wr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY16 tS

Quote:
My favourite recent mod has been the torque solutions steering dampener (perrin also make one). Improves the steering feel considerably, I used to find it sloppy. Mid corner I would be constantly overcorrecting, whereas after fitting this I can make small precise changes and hold the wheel nice and steady. Quick transitions like small roundabouts are also considerably better.

I installed a Perrin steering dampener lockout and noticed that steering feel is heavier after doing this - more effort is required to turn the wheel whether it be while parking or driving. Is this expected? My understanding is that the steering dampener will reduce the flex/slop/vagueness of the steering wheel which it does but not make the feel heavier. Appreciate any comments.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:54 pm 

tecnica wrote:
Quote:

I installed a Perrin steering dampener lockout and noticed that steering feel is heavier after doing this - more effort is required to turn the wheel whether it be while parking or driving. Is this expected? My understanding is that the steering dampener will reduce the flex/slop/vagueness of the steering wheel which it does but not make the feel heavier. Appreciate any comments.

As you said it reduces the flex/slop/vagueness of the steering wheel but does not make the steering any heavier. Not sure if its a placebo thing or something else is wrong? Did you change anything else at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:56 pm 

alj, did you consider swapping to a Levorg which is basically a lowered forester with 20kw more power?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 16 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2