Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Bang for buck SH Sedition Bushing and sway bar kits
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:08 am 

Vehicle: MY12 XT S-edition

Hey Guys,

So I've completed the upgrades to the suspension and brakes to my S-edition, ended up getting some BC racing coilovers and Liberty GT brake upgrade with DBA rotors and EBC Reds. Im looking to upgrade my sway bars and bushes.

The car is lower then std, the control arms are level, but I'm looking for basic upgrades that will give the best bang for buck. I'm planning to track the car as a hobby maybe once a year lol.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Bang for buck SH Sedition Bushing and sway bar kits
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Not saying this is a direct comparison to the S-Edition, but my 09 XTP definitely benefited from a larger rear sway bar (on MY08 STi struts/springs as well). A stiffer front bar is recommended to suit but the RSB is essentially a "must do".

As far as bushes go - I'd stay away from the whiteline anti-lift kit - I'm about to pull mine off and throw it in the bin. The added NVH is absurd and not worth the trade-off IMO. Besides that, I only have some HD steering rack bushes and Whiteline Roll Centre Adjuster kit. Car feels pretty planted but the steering rack itself needs to be pulled out, shot and left in a ditch - to be replaced with an AUDM WRX or STi rack.

Post subject: Bang for buck SH Sedition Bushing and sway bar kits
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:24 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

A 22mm RSB would be a good option. This will remove a lot of body roll. If you are going to track your car then a bigger FSB would help.

For bushes, I have stayed with OEM as hate avoid NVH so prepares to compromise some performance for comfort as my car is a daily driver. You may want to look into RCA kit given you have coilovers.

As James said, you may want to consider a STi steering rack. Makes a big difference in feel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 pm 

Okay great, So from above, must do;

1. 22mm Rear sway bar
2. Bigger front sway bar (what size)
3. Sti Steering Rack (which year?)
4. Roll center adjuster kit
5. Any other bushes?
7. Anything else that will make a big difference

Am I correct in saying, essentially anything else would be law of diminishing returns?

Last edited by daniellib on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 pm 

I Say: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition WR Blue

I kept the front sway bar standard and fitted a 19mm Perrin rear sway bar. Still the best bang-for-buck change that I've made.

Phat-GT - Perrin RSB - PW Verticooler - HKS ES Premium - AVO Castor Correction - Liberty Brakes - Pedders Springs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I have the thicker rear swaybar and Superpro alloy lower control arms (more caster)

Each made a big difference in handling. The extra caster has a trade-off in terms of extra NVH and a steering wheel that wants to fight you over potholes. Personally I think it's worth it but it depends what you want. Ironically JamesMR and I each drove each other's cars for a bit and (I recall) each of us thought the other's car was ok for NVH but our own car is harsh. Perhaps it wasn't a big enough test drive swap.

I'm about to go to a larger (24mm) front swaybar for sharper turn-in.

Also, don't overlook quality tyres in terms of the overall grip and handling package. Personally I think it's easier to get desirable handling with cheap tyres then upgrade the tyres. Quality tyres will probably cover for bad geometry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:00 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

I'd probably remove the HD steering rack bushes from your list if you plan on getting a new rack - wouldn't be any need for them. I got them to see if they'd fix the play in the rack just off centre but they didn't do anything really.

RCA kit is worthwhile if you're dropping the car by a few inches. ALK I'd personally not worry about unless you're going to track the car or drive it hard. On the street the NVH is ridiculous.

Best bang for buck is the rear sway bar. Can keep stock end-links but with a stiffer bar they then become the limiting factor and can break.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:03 pm 

Okay great, I read somewhere that the foresters dont need ALK as they have that already being an SUV?

So looks like I don't need any bushes then, Great! lol,

What year steering rack do I need to buy?

So I'll get RCA kit, Front and rear swaybars, STI steering rack and call it a day.

Whiteline sent me this HUGE list inwhich they recommend to upgrade lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 am 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

2 things you should do given your current mods... Perrin subframe lockdown kit.. Car feels more planted on acceleration and brake master cylinder stopper.. Will improve braking feel

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:57 am 

I just spoke to my mate who races Targa west, and he is saying, that the front sway bar and steering rack are a waste of time and money?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next