Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: QFM HPX Still Good? Stock SH9
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

QFM HPX on front with Liberty GT brakes and QFM HPX pads on stock rear setup. Used the shims that came with the calipers - no squeaking, a little brake dust and need a couple of stops to get into the working range but once there they stop great. The Liberty GT setup helps A LOT though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:11 am 

Vehicle: MY12 XTP - BLAAAACK

I have just put Intima SS pads on the rear of my SH, bedding in was easy, no noise and great cold bite i have found. No dust as of yet however I only put them in on Sunday afternoon so no much driving on them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:19 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP Forester

I highly rate the QFM HPX and have just purchased a set from GSL Rallysport. Hoping they arrive in time for the weekend so I can fit them before an Easter roadtrip.

I fitted them to my previous 2005 WRX and they were great pads, plenty of stopping power from cold (on the street) and hardly any dust. Hoping to get the same result on the Foz!

Currently my MY10 XTP has Bendix General CT and I'm not a fan in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:39 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

For decent cheaper street pads I've heard good things about remsa , they are rated higher to 650 c are cheaper and come with all backing plates unlike hpx - got a full set for the wife liberty for $110 posted Ill post back after install and a few weeks driving ..
Had hpx and well, meh...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 XTP

Thanks for the inputs guys. So I ended up getting the HPX based on your feedback and also because I could pick them up in Brisbane. Been driving with them for about 4 weeks now and here's my observation.

Brakes much harder than stock pads and require less pedal travel for same amount of braking. That makes fine tuning pedal pressure a bit of a challenge and takes a while to get used to.

No issues with cold braking, especially it's got more friction than stock, so plenty of stopping power even when cold.

They are fairly quiet apart from some slight grinding sound, perhaps due to rust around the disc edges. Not audible from inside the car and definitely not offensive or embarrassing squeak from outside. They can be a bit loud with vibration when hillstart releases the brakes, not sure why but I don't really care.

I find there's more dust than stock pads, so I'm not sure if you guys are comparing to other pads or stock pads when some of you mentioned that they are clean. It could be the wet weather making the rims a lot dirtier so I'll reserve my judgement until the wet weather ceases.

YMMV but the Foz is a spirited daily driver for me and I like the brakes so much I find myself not downshifting as much with my 5MT

MY08+ STi Rear Sway Bar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 pm 

I had Bendix pads on the stock SH setup and they were very "squishy" and not confidence inspiring at all. I can't say how much of an improvement the HPX pads were over the stock setup as they went on with new DBA T3 rotors and Gen6 Liberty GT calipers. The difference between the stock setup and this setup is vast.

I can hear/feel the friction of the pads on the rotors. It's a pleasant sound to me because I like the mechanical vibe it gives. I'm unsure if this is because of the pad material itself or if it's a combination of the pads and the T3 rotors. I couldn't hear any of this on the stock setup. Like yours, my pads make a kinda of stick-unstick sound when releasing the brakes on a hill etc. Not an issue for me in terms of noise or anything like that.

The only downside with my setup is I can "feel" the front bias in the braking now. I've got stock rear calipers & rotors with new HPX pads but they definitely don't seem as up to the task as the fronts.

Oh and just noticed you have an MY08 STI RSB in your WTB - I'd recommend going for an MY11+ as they went from an 18mm to a 19mm from memory. Should basically be the same price. I checked in with Wendy from Rising Sun Subaru a few months ago and she was ready to send me an 18mm but I wanted the 19mm instead, they might still have it in stock. I ended up with a Whiteline 20mm.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

I found that after I installed gen V rear vented brakes, it was more balanced under heavy braking on track. Prior to that, it was really biased to the front and nose diving. I was running RDA rotors with HPX pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:24 pm 

dwee. wrote:
I found that after I installed gen V rear vented brakes, it was more balanced under heavy braking on track. Prior to that, it was really biased to the front and nose diving. I was running RDA rotors with HPX pads.

Yeah I've been thinking about doing the rears but might hold off as the rear pads are brand new and the rotors didn't seem too bad either. Can you notice the increased balance on the street?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:33 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

JamesMR_ wrote:
dwee. wrote:

Yeah I've been thinking about doing the rears but might hold off as the rear pads are brand new and the rotors didn't seem too bad either. Can you notice the increased balance on the street?

I didn't really notice during normal driving... I'm usually engine braking and rarely under heavy braking on the street.

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2