Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Stiff steering and stalling when turning hard in 2nd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:22 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 Forester Columbia

Hey all, so what happened is i was approaching an intersection to turn, so i changed into 2nd and as i went to turn the corner the wheel went super stiff to the point where i had to put all my force in to turn the wheel, as this was occurring the engine also stalled. I continued on then it happened 2 more times, both in 2nd turning hard. So i pulled over and ended up getting it flat bedded to the mechanic, who looked it over and couldn't see anything wrong and off course it stopped playing up when he tested it. I ended up having it serviced as it had done 10k since the last service and drove home without any issues.

Also it was the first time i had driven it after disconnecting the battery to change head unit. Also i hadn't reattached the HVAC cables, so the temp was on full, which is the first time ive used the heater this year.

As i said before it seems to be driving fine but figured i would see if anyone else here has had a similar thing happen.

Post subject: Re: Stiff steering and stalling when turning hard in 2nd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

I Say: Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot! Sorry son, you can't do both!! :D
Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury AT, white

What rim / tyre combo do you have? Maybe you're scrubbing and binding the drivetrain?

:drinks:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:46 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

The steering going stiff is becayse the engine isnt driving the steering pump.

You should focus on why its stalling / cutting out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 Forester Columbia

craig747400 wrote:
What rim / tyre combo do you have? Maybe you're scrubbing and binding the drivetrain?

:drinks:

Has 1 inch lift and stock 16s with standard road tyres.

Bram wrote:
The steering going stiff is becayse the engine isnt driving the steering pump.

You should focus on why its stalling / cutting out.

Im thinking it could be related to disconnecting the neg on battery while doing the headunit. Maybe it made the ecu freak out a bit. Also it was driving quite poor in a straight line and felt low on power for maybe 5km until it lost steering.

It was perfect this morning when i drove it, although i have lost some confidence and am very hesitant driving it at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:08 am 

MrStretcheo wrote:
Im thinking it could be related to disconnecting the neg on battery while doing the headunit. Maybe it made the ecu freak out a bit. Also it was driving quite poor in a straight line and felt low on power for maybe 5km until it lost steering.

It was perfect this morning when i drove it, although i have lost some confidence and am very hesitant driving it at the moment.

Yep this is exactly it, it lost the idle memory when the battery was disconnected so it drops too low and stalls while the car is moving. Clean the throttle body and google the idle reset procedure to fix it

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]