Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Sedition Enkei Sti wheels fit over 4pot front brakes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:45 am 

Vehicle: MY12 XT S-edition

Quote:

Stock lines fit right up - no need to change them unless you want to. I kept the stock rear rotors as they're in decent condition and I didn't see the value in replacing them with DBA's. I'll replace them later on but for now they're fine.

Do you when the stock Liberty rotor or the stock forester rotor?

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 am 

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.p ... bd75bf3998

These seem okay if i can get them without rotors, Can someone confirm that the rear calipers from a gen 4 are the same as gen 5. From memory its only the rotor thats different

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:05 am 

Just did the maths, Upgrading to the liberty rotors provide an extra 15% surface area for the front. So is it correct to say, that this really is only a 15% improvement over stock?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:12 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

daniellib wrote:
Just did the maths, Upgrading to the liberty rotors provide an extra 15% surface area for the front. So is it correct to say, that this really is only a 15% improvement over stock?

I don't think it would be that simple.

The swept area is also further out from the centre of the wheel hub, so there is better leverage on the parts of the rotor being grabbed.

Plus, the bigger cylinders presumably exert greater grabbing pressure.

Plus, for a long downhill run, the extra mass of the bigger rotor can absorb more heat before you hit the point of brake fade.

The overall braking feel and confidence over stock SH brakes (which feel marginal at best) is remarkable, regardless of the maths.

You can of course get bigger brake upgrades (including different rims and other costs) but the bank-for-buck of a Liberty front brakes upgrade is extraordinary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:35 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

daniellib wrote:

The way I explained it to my wife last night was to use a lazy susan as an example. If you spin the lazy susan (akin to a brake rotor) and then place your fingers close to the centre and try and slow it down (fingers acting as the brake pad) - it takes quite a lot of effort to decelerate the rotation. Now spin it again and put your fingers on the outside and apply the same pressure - there will be a spike in temperature due to the added friction (caused by the faster rotational speed at the outside of the disc compared to the middle), however the clamping pressure is magnified and allows for rapid deceleration with an increase in friction/heat as the byproduct. The larger rotor will absorb more heat, but I do recommend having pads/fluid that can tolerate the increased heat as well, especially if you're planning on doing some mountain runs etc.

Yowie wrote:
The overall braking feel and confidence over stock SH brakes (which feel marginal at best) is remarkable, regardless of the maths.

+1. I'd recommend the QFM HPX pads for your setup to be honest. I didn't get a chance to stand on the brake pedal in your Foz but it didn't feel much different to the stock setup during that short trip. The feeling in my car was immediate as soon as I put any sort of pressure on the pedal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:19 am 

Thanks for the explanation guys, it nakes sense. Ill be searching for some liberty calipers! Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:46 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 SWP E-EDITION

I have a set of RDA slotted front rotors from my old SG, if your looking for rotors.

They have about 5000kms on them before I swapped for a bargin set of DBA T3. Theyve been sitting in a box in the garage for 4yrs so they will need a clean up from surface rust.

Previous Ride: MY04 XT Luxury - JDM STI SG9 Heart/VF41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:58 am 

Thanks SAV, but ive recently purchased front and rear rotors from brakes direct. Ended up getting DBA T2 for 2011 liberty. Ive also found a set of front calipers. All I need to do now is find some rear rotors and get some pads

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

daniellib wrote:
Thanks SAV, but ive recently purchased front and rear rotors from brakes direct. Ended up getting DBA T2 for 2011 liberty. Ive also found a set of front calipers. All I need to do now is find some rear rotors and get some pads

Nice choice. They'll definitely fit and are a marked improvement over stock. I love my brakes and purposely brake at the last second just to feel them do their thing. Wife HATES when I do that.

Check out my thread in the Gallery section - I've got some pics of my brake setup there and a really dumb moment documented as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:19 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

jonp wrote:
New rotors and pads will be an improvement. Liberty calipers would be an additional added improvement.

brake master cylinder stopper also an improvement

oh and the cylinder cosy also adds better feel :lol:

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2