Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sti manifold to replace plastic manifold on SH Foz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:07 am 

Anyone changed over their manifold with an sti red one? Ive got one from a 2011 sti and I was reading they flow better. Is it a bolt on like for like job?

Post subject: Re: Sti manifold to replace plastic manifold on SH Foz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

They are also a much better heat sink that plastic. You would have to change your turbo, intercooler, piping etc. You would be far better just upgrading the turbo if you want any noticeable results.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

On the topic of heat only, are you talking about:-

(a) heat in the runners from being connected to the engine; or

(b) heat from the post-intercooler inlet charge.

I would have thought that (a) would be the main reason for the inlet manifold to heat up and that metal runners would be counter-productive to a cool inlet charge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:43 pm 

The STI intake runners would be great in re heating the post cooler air. A good heat sink for the engine bay. Never heard of issues with the plastic manifold, so not sure of the science behind the aluminum manifold.
Would be good to get hold of someone local in Vic S/E to take a thermal image of their aluminum manifold to compare to mine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:17 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

There has to be a good reason why Subaru kept the aluminium manifold on the STi model, yet moved to plastic on all the other turbo models. (Wrx, XT etc...)

One can only guess the aluminium manifold is the preffered option for performance, as it is used on the premium performance orientated sports offering of the subaru range.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:36 pm 

Interesting that so many high end sports car manufacturers use plastic manifolds. Im guessing a bright red plastic STI intake manifold would look rather nauseating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:01 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Bram wrote:
There has to be a good reason why Subaru kept the aluminium manifold on the STi model, yet moved to plastic on all the other turbo models. (Wrx, XT etc...)

One can only guess the aluminium manifold is the preffered option for performance, as it is used on the premium performance orientated sports offering of the subaru range.

My little unsupported theory on all this is that:-

(i) the older style manifold (with downward-flowing intercooler) with central throttle body position probably distributes air between cylinders more evenly than the offset-throttle plastic manifold (with side-flowing intercooler);

(ii) the STI skunkworks tends to hold on to older style engines a lot longer than the rest of Subaru on account of the development work already put into them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

Yowie wrote:
Bram wrote:

My little unsupported theory on all this is that:-

(i) the older style manifold (with downward-flowing intercooler) with central throttle body position probably distributes air between cylinders more evenly than the offset-throttle plastic manifold (with side-flowing intercooler);

(ii) the STI skunkworks tends to hold on to older style engines a lot longer than the rest of Subaru on account of the development work already put into them.

I had also thought the move to plastic was an effort to reduce production cost. EG, its less expensive to mould a plastic manifold, than it would be to cast an alloy one. But then that theory doesnt hold true when you look at the NA EJ engines, which still used the cast alloy NA types, even after production of the plastic turbo ones had begun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
Interesting that so many high end sports car manufacturers use plastic manifolds. Im guessing a bright red plastic STI intake manifold would look rather nauseating.

That is a trend that is not specific to performance cars though. Practically ALL Japanese and Euro consumer vehicles use plastic manifolds these days.

Look at ford and mazdas for example, like the mazda 2/3, and focus/fiesta and stuff like that. They arent just plastic manifolds, pretty much the entire front ends are plastic aswell. No longer do cars even have metal for radiator supports and such hidden under plastic bumpers. Now a days, its plastic everything. Before long, i think we will be seeing plastic/composite body shells aswell.

I **** hate it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:31 pm 

Apparently the sti manifold flows better, but if the changeover process is huge then it's probably not worth the effort.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next