Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: HELP - Mishimotoiator on S edition (and transmission cooler)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

Hey guys.
My radiator started leaking on my S edition so I got myself a mishimoto MMRAD-STI-08.
I had it all installed and fitted then I realised that the mishimoto doesn't have the lower tank for the transmission.

I do have a Davies Craig 677 transmission cooler but I'm wondering if this is enough now?

I'm hoping I don't have to get another radiator but I obviously don't want the transmission to cook.

Seeking feedback.

Cheers
Luke

Last edited by thorpef1 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Mishimoto radiator on S edition (and transmission cooler)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

You could find a way to monitor trans temps then upgrade the size of the fluid-to-air cooler if the ATF is getting/staying too hot.

I hear the "Scanguage 2" allows ATF temp monitoring via the ECU/OBD system, but I don't know much more about it.

Post subject: Re: Mishimoto radiator on S edition (and transmission cooler)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm 

I could do that but I would prefer to make a decision now before I fill the radiator.
I can see 3 options.
1. Drive as it is and fingers crossed.
2. Upgrade the cooler and keep the mishimoto (additional cost ~ $200)
3. Swap the mishimoto with a golpher which has the lower tank for the AT (I could probably swap them at no additional cost as the golpher are around $400

Hoping I can come to a decision over the next few days as I'll keep the radiator "as new" without filling it.

Post subject: Re: HELP - Mishimotoiator on S edition (and transmission cooler)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:33 am 

Can anyone else comment?
Otherwise I'll just trade the mishimoto for a golpher to be safe.
I want to get the foz back on the road.

I have emailed Mike for availability and price.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am 

The common/accepted (?) consensus is that the Coolant-to-ATF method of controlling ATF temps is flawed for the warmer parts of Australia because:-

(a) a rupture between the ATF and engine coolant in the base of the radiator will blend the two fluids and perhaps ruin a gearbox;

(b) "cooling" the ATF to approximately 90 degrees Celsius isn't cooling it very effectively; and

(c) in non-icy conditions, the need to warm the ATF at the start of driving is less of an issue (and "over chilling" with ATF-to-Air setups is solvable with a Derale-style thermostat).

I recommend:-

(i) either using the ATF-to-air cooler you have, or upgrading it to a larger unit;

(ii) making a decision about thermostats (you probably have until winter to decide/install); and

(iii) keeping/installing the alloy radiator you have.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am 

In the cooler instructions (Davies Craig) I remember they recommended installing it in conjunction with the radiator rather than on its own.

TYPES OF INSTALLATION CONNECTIONS (Figure 2)
* IN-SERIES - The recommended transmission-oil cooler connection is the “in-series” installation. It utilises the existing cooling system and complies with all new car warranties. This method provides maximum cooling effectiveness by returning the coolest oil directly to the transmission.
* REPLACEMENT - This method must only be used if the existing cooling system is damaged and repair costs are excessive. The replacement installation may void new car warranties and will provide less total cooling than the “in-series” installation, therefore, this application requires an oil cooler one or two sizes larger.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:44 am 

It's your choice obviously.

However I would consider the fact that Davies Craig are selling a generic product all over the country/world and have no control over how every type of Wally hooks it up to all different types of car for all different driving conditions.

The risk-minimisation team would have figured out recommending "in-line, after factory ATF-to-Coolant" will have the least overall effect on anything (in very hot or very cool conditions) and therefore produce the fewest meritorious complaints to Davies Craig.

Their recommendation to "go bigger" if you bypass the ATF-to-Coolant part entirely may be worth noting however.

I run a large-ish ATF-to-Air cooler only (no Coolant, no thermostat) and the results of my last ATF service (a bit more than 12 months) were good in the sense of nothing to report about ATF condition etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:24 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

I had the same issue, not realizing the rad I bought didn't have the ATF cooling lines in the bottom of the tank.

I installed the Mishi rad per normal and simply plumbed the ATF feed & return line back on itself to create a closed loop system, bypassing any ability to cool. I drove the car like this for 1-2 weeks while I waited for the Mishi trans cooler to arrive. This was then installed by my mechanic in front of the mishi rad but he did move the A/C condensor slightly down to allow it to fit as there's a pesky brace in the middle which hinders placement of the cooler.

I've been running the car this way since mid-winter and have had no issues and no lights on the dash, even yesterday in 37deg heat and in traffic - everything was fine. Drive it hard and it may be another story.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm 

By coincidence, there is some trans cooler chat in today's Skid Factory video, starting at about the 10 min mark:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv6XBzp93So

Not sure if you can easily estimate the size of the cooler that Al is waving around.

EDIT - mounting the cooler at approx 15 mins.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:58 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Yowie wrote:
a rupture between the ATF and engine coolant in the base of the radiator will blend the two fluids and perhaps ruin a gearbox
Something that Falcons are notorious for, but I didn't know Subies did it at all frequently. Split top tanks yes, but not ATF milkshake. Have I missed something?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next