Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: P0032 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:48 am 

Vehicle: MY03 XS 2.5

Hi guys,

We have a 2003 2.5XS Forester and we have the check engine light on the dash. I've read other posts on the net regarding other Subarus with the same error but can't seem to find specific info on location and removal of the sensor for my MY03. From reading it seems there maybe a couple of these sensors ???I want to make sure I have located the right sensor relating to the following error I get from doing a scan:

This is the error code I get:
P0032 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater - Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I'm trying to sort out this P0032 error code and replace the part but I want to make sure I'm removing the correct part. I've attached a photo of what I think is the sensor (but not sure if this is the sensor relating to this specific error)...please see photo.

Also I had a go at removing the sensor in the photo and am able to move it a little with a 7/8 spanner but after a turn or so it doesn't seem to come loose at it normally should....it's not a reverse thread or something is it?

Thanks very much for your expertise.

Regards
Tim

Attachments:
File comment: Is this the correct sensor to replace with error code P0032 ?
IMG_3062-3.jpg
IMG_3062-3.jpg [ 599.79 KiB | Viewed 25 times ]

Post subject: Re: P0032 Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:17 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

22mm ring spanner (pretty close to 7/8", which might also work) is the right one for the job if the space doesnt permit use of the special slotted 02 sensor socket.

For some 02 sensors you can unplug the sensor then feed the plug/wire through the ring on the spanner to get the ring onto it (rather than the open end).

Normal clockwise thread with some wd40 soaked in first.

If you're replacing the 02 sensor under suspicion of being rooted, loosening it with a few mallet blows on your spanner shouldn't be a worry. If you want to keep it, owner's choice about how hard to hit the spanner.

In my experience (not with your model forester) there are often at least two (and sometimes only two) 02 sensors:-

- one closer to the engine pre-turbo; and
- one after the cat.

The close-to-engine one usually goes first because it has a harder life. If your budget can handle it (and you get no joy interpreting the codes with greater accuracy), perhaps replace the close-to-engine 02 sensor first and see how it goes.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:49 pm 

Vehicle: MY03 XS 2.5

Thanks Yowie...awesome help!

Do you know if the sensor pictured (which is above muffler...coming out of catalytic converter I think) is the front or rear O2 sensor?

Regards
Tim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Probably rear if that's where the picture was taken.

On my 2009 model the front sensor is in the exhaust manifold just after both sides merge (but before the up-pipe to turbo).

If you take the undershield off and have a look around on the exhaust manifold you might see a similar-looking 02 sensor further forward in the exhaust system.

[my understanding of the manufacturer's reasons for using two sensors is the first one gives the main air-fuel ratio information to the computer and the rear (post-cat) sensor is just to check on the efficiency of the cat over its life - presumably with the measured oxygen being x amount different from the front sensor if the cat is working properly under certain conditions].

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:43 pm 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Yowie wrote:
[my understanding of the manufacturer's reasons for using two sensors is the first one gives the main air-fuel ratio information to the computer and the rear (post-cat) sensor is just to check on the efficiency of the cat over its life - presumably with the measured oxygen being x amount different from the front sensor if the cat is working properly under certain conditions].

Yup. Pre-cat sensor just gives the ECU information about the combustion process itself. While it is possible to regulate emissions using just that, it's nowhere near as precise and predictable. Post-cat sensor basically tells the ECU the actual emissions after the cat and if the latter is working properly. This means that while a given A/F ratio is great for combustion and temperature control, it might be not as good from an emissions point of view. Post-cat o2 sensor is also a requirement, if you want to meet EURO3 standard for petrol engines, in addition to exhaust gas content limitations.

Euro1: Regulated Cat (O2 Sensor in front of cat)
Euro2: Euro1 + electronically controlled idle (IACV)
Euro3: Euro2 + controlled cat (O2 Sensor after cat)
Euro4: Euro3 + secondary air pump

Euro5 was when they introduced particulate matter limits. Can't figure out if there are any hardware requirements though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:36 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Euro 5 has further reduction of NO^X limits decrease as well as other emmissions targets decrease aswell. But from memory, its the NOX target that takes the biggest hit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:51 am 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Ah, yes, forgot about those limits being seriously cut down. Though, to be fair, NOx are probably the nastiest stuff coming out of the combustion of petrol.

BTW, in case you haven't heard it, they're starting to fit particulate filters to petrol cars (think DPF). Those are the reason why, as an example, the Cupra 300 doesn't live up to it's name any more. Doesn't reach the 300HP with the filter.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]