Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Slight gearbox/clutch problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:33 pm 

Vehicle: MY99 GT + SG9 STI (soon)

How do I remove the box after this has happened?

If you dont know what this is then you probably won't know the answer!

Can't move the pivot pin. I managed to get a bolt into it but it feels fairly stuck.
I assume thats the gearbox casing that has broken???

06 SG9 STI 6 speed.

Last edited by bizman on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Help - Slight gearbox/clutch problem
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:04 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Usually i use a long m6 screw/bolt into the pin, then i use bent long nose pliers to leveridge it out.

Its hard to see from the pic, but if its proper stuck in there, (or broken) then you might be able to remove the rubber boot from the clutch fork, then use a very long flat blade screw driver to unclip the release bearing from the clutch cover while the gearbox is still attached to the engine.

These pull clutch release bearings are designed to clip in to the diaphram spring when you put the box and engine together. And stay that way until you remove the pivot pin on dissasembly. Only once the box and engine are seperated do you usually unclip the release bearing.

But you may be able to unclip it while its in situation. There is a collar that must be pushed in, while simultaneously pulling the entire bearing away form the clutch. If you can get the screw driver on the collar and depress it and pop the bearing out of the clutch cover, then you can continue removing the gearbox and go from there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:50 am 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

Yep, m6 into that threaded hole then pull.

A SHORT m6. I used a too-long bolt, it bottomed out and I torqued the head of it straight off, and it was a grade 10 bolt.

The solution was to drill out the m6 bolt, install an m8 helicoil and bolt, and pull it all out carefully. Fortunately it was a parts car so I cut the radiator support and pulled out the engine and gearbox as one, then did the drilling. Don't stuff up clutch fork pins, you'll have a bad time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:51 pm 

Thanks for the responses.

Looks like the bellhousing that holds that pivot shaft has failed, i.e. completely broken off.
similar to this https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2083081

The pivot does not line up with the hole and will not simply pull out.
I'm up for a new bellhousing and clutch bearing at least.

But the problem still remains of how to get the damn thing out.

Thought about cutting a larger hole around the clutch fork and trying to disengage the clutch bearing with a long screwdriver. Might work. Bellhousing is rooted anyway.

I don't imagine many shops will want to touch this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:12 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

andrew_k wrote:

A SHORT m6. I used a too-long bolt, it bottomed out and I torqued the head of it straight off, and it was a grade 10 bolt.

How the hell did you do that? :dontknow: What do you mean 'torqued the head off' ? Did you try and do the bolt up tight or something? :lol: I usually just put a long bolt in a few turns by hand, literally less than fingur tight. I dont even screw it in all the way, just a few threads to engage the pin.

It needs to be a long-ish M6 so that there is something protruding from the gearbox that you can grab onto. Then I use pliers to pull/leveridge the bolt out of the hole, which pulls the pin. I then un-wind the bolt by hand (because it wasnt even fingur tight) and chuck the sacrificial M6 in the bin because i would have scarred it up while grabbing it with the pliers.
Quote:

The solution was to drill out the m6 bolt, install an m8 helicoil and bolt, and pull it all out carefully. Fortunately it was a parts car so I cut the radiator support and pulled out the engine and gearbox as one, then did the drilling. Don't stuff up clutch fork pins, you'll have a bad time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 am 

So I got the box out and a picture tells a thousand words so see below...

The missing pieces that fell out:

Had no warning at all. Just sitting in traffic and went to put it in first and bang it went (didn't actually go with a bang but you get the idea).

So now i'm up for a bellhousing, bearing, pivot shaft (mine is prob ok but why risk it?) and I might as well replace lots of seals seeing they've got to be pulled out anyway.

I rang Subaru Aus and got a price on a bellhousing for a giggle - $1593!!! They actually had one in stock in Sydney.

Can get from US for AU$688 delivered. Then i'll prob take it to Gotitrex to have it swappped over.

Has anyone done this sort of work on a 6 speed? Is it straightforward or should I leave this job to the pros?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]