Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Catch can install help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:41 am 

Vehicle: 2008 MY09 F XTP

I have a 2009 SH XT Forester.

Picked up two catch cans for a dual setup, but got a bit confused on how to actually plumb it up correctly.

There is a mishimoto YouTube video, but it confused the hell out of me....

Has anybody installed a catch can and can give me some pointers or advice on how to plumb them up ?

Post subject: Re: Catch can install help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:35 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I was actually doing my install last night for the Mishimoto cans. 100% agree with the useless video by Mishimoto. And interestingly there are many incorrect diagrams out there on the web. Im at work now, but I could lay out all my hoses when I get home tonight to show how Im routing mine. Though someone will no doubt assist between now and then.

This is a good link to explain it. The “WRX ideal” diagram is the proper way and how I’m doing mine
https://www.seccs.org/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=9

Attachments:
07E84B14-B9F3-4861-9BE5-66243B2294A5.jpeg
07E84B14-B9F3-4861-9BE5-66243B2294A5.jpeg [ 230.94 KiB | Viewed 65 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:23 am 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Tobyo wrote:
I was actually doing my install last night for the Mishimoto cans. 100% agree with the useless video by Mishimoto. And interestingly there are many incorrect diagrams out there on the web. Im at work now, but I could lay out all my hoses when I get home tonight to show how Im routing mine. Though someone will no doubt assist between now and then.

This is a good link to explain it. The “WRX ideal” diagram is the proper way and how I’m doing mine
https://www.seccs.org/forums/showpost.p ... ostcount=9

Hi Tobyo and booki,

I have a SH XTP and just ordered a EBay 'copy of the Mishimoto single Catch Can.

On the Mishimoto web site, they have what I consider to be as EDIT USELESS good Installation Guide for SH Foresters,

'MMBCatch Can-WRX-08BE_Install Guide'. But the diagrammatic plan is able to be followed!

I have been searching for a good guide for a single Catch Can and Mishimoto's Dual Catch Can Installation SH Forester Guide is one of the better ones. (I could not locate a single version guide.)

Hey Tobyo, please do lay out your Catch Can set up and post an explanation with pics.

Cheers Al

Last edited by Forester4thetrees on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:48 am 

Thanks for the links guys. My catch can came with the wrong size fittings, so I will need to buy some new fittings and some hose.

What's the best kind of hose to use and where should I get it from ? I noticed in the Mishi video they had some T pieces and blocked off a hose. Where should I be looking to purchase those things ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:48 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I threw the hoses that came with it in the bin and got the Samco silicon hoses and reducers. You dont block off any ports. I still dont know why they say to do that. All you are doing is intersecting the factory hose and diverting it to the can and then returning it back to where you intersected it. I made my own T piece for the crank breather as the factory one is soft plastic, but you could use the plastic fittings found in hardware stores. The only catch is there are different sized hoses connecting to the T piece.

Attachments:
F7D3370F-76FE-4702-AC90-ECD0A13BBE1D.jpeg
F7D3370F-76FE-4702-AC90-ECD0A13BBE1D.jpeg [ 21.04 KiB | Viewed 41 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

DIY for Mishimoto "Compact" catch can install on passenger strut tower for Crank Case breather half of the problem:-

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=55412

EDIT - since last updating that DIY i have actually drilled out the guts of the OEM T-piece for better flow. A brass 1/2" T-piece from Supercheap would also work if you run enlarging adaptors before you get to the various hose inputs on the engine.

Head Breathers catch can is much simpler, albeit needing you to jam your hand into a tight place (ooh-er missus!) to access hoses under the inlet manifold.

For the head breathers you:-

(a) intercept and extend the hose that goes from the head breathers to the turbo inlet pipe. The clue is that it comes off that hard plastic crossover piece that runs behind the inlet manifold;

(b) whack a catch can on the end of it in a suitable location ( i did under the air snorkel next to the radiator);

(c) then run the hose back from the catch can to the turbo inlet pipe.

An aftermarket turbo inlet pipe helps because you can swivel the little spigots to the direction you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:38 pm 

Thanks fellas, bit of stuff for me to read up on so I know exactly what I am T'ng into.

I understand the basics of it - Intercept the lines between the PCV and the intake - plumb the catch can inbetween there....least thats my understanding of it but lots of different ways to do it and plumb into different things.

Can get confusing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Most extreme solution is dry sump the engine, then put 1 huge AOS on the vent to the external sump. What PCV valve...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]