Change font size


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:16 am 
User avatar

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Posts: 17724
Location: Spearwood Perth WA
Quote:
Which means doing it the way bob said, except for figuring out a way to keep the ECU monitored switch. Thinking about it, a Y-piece should work fine for pressure. Oil temp seems easy now, going to order the 11024AA210 bung and just roll with it.

There is no ECU monitored sensor. Unless you have an aftermarket ECU and have then fitted an additional sensor.

All there is is a low oil pressure switch. Which simply turns on the dash light. But its threshold is very low, around 50kpa / 7psi from memory. So basically if you see that light at any other time besides engine off or maybe idle, then you have just wrecked your motor.

_________________
>>>My Ride<<<


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:40 am 
User avatar

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Posts: 1927
Location: Brisbane
Plus coolant temp needs to be sorted, too. The upper rad hose has a few kinks and bends to it, no estate to cut out a few cm and fit an adapter pipe. Is there a galley plug somewhere on the engine for that?


Depending on year if ob2 you may be able to just use the stock coolant temp sensor - I have the coolant temp displayed via the Ecu using btssm. , there's other free program's available to - torque app etc


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:23 pm 
User avatar

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Posts: 17724
Location: Spearwood Perth WA
cam99 wrote:
Plus coolant temp needs to be sorted, too. The upper rad hose has a few kinks and bends to it, no estate to cut out a few cm and fit an adapter pipe. Is there a galley plug somewhere on the engine for that?


Depending on year if ob2 you may be able to just use the stock coolant temp sensor - I have the coolant temp displayed via the Ecu using btssm. , there's other free program's available to - torque app etc

No easy spots for coolant. If you have an alloy radiator then its super easy to drill and tap one of the tanks for a sensor. Otherwise you could drill and tap into the coolant crossover pipe if you have the mani off. If you have an alloy top geader tank thing you can also drill and tap them.

As current i have a low coolant alarm in the header tank, aswell as an extra bosch sensor. And in the top tank of the radiator i have the defi probe aswell.

At one stage i had a small inline adapter put into the engine outlet heater hoses. The heater hose on subarus is always flowing and takes coolant straight off the crossover tube, so is a suitable spot for coolant temp monitoring.

_________________
>>>My Ride<<<


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:07 pm 
User avatar

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Posts: 1927
Location: Brisbane
Yeh what i mean is despite the factory gauge being pretty crappy in the sg the Ecu gets the actual temp so I just have a digital gauge of the coolant temp from the factory sensor with a high alarm on my in dash tablet , that does me just fine... Btssm and others are great for the average joe I reckon , as mentioned just need oil pressure / temp , just about everything else is covered via the Ecu


Attachments:
File comment: And more if required, you can set up and save a stack of different configs
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 91.41 KiB | Viewed 49 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 17.07 KiB | Viewed 57 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Posts: 2454
Location: S.E. Melbourne
be_oh_be wrote:
Sandwich plates aren't that great if you have stock headers. There is very little room due to the heat shields.

Bram wrote:
Which from memory is m20x1.5 (i think thats right).

I recommend the Mocal ones, as they have a very nice seal design. You could probs pick one up from the likes of Demon Tweeks over in the UK or any number of other retailers.

Bump gents,

Just to double check, if I still had stock headers and got a Mocal or Mishimoto thermostatic sandwich plate, I will have trouble installing it? I see some kits have spacers so I believe they position the plates a litter further away from the block?

Cheers,

Pete.

_________________
Current: '09 SH9 XTP (click)

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am 
User avatar

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

Posts: 16228
Location: Medowie (near Newcastle), NSW
dwee. wrote:
be_oh_be wrote:
Sandwich plates aren't that great if you have stock headers. There is very little room due to the heat shields.

Bram wrote:
Which from memory is m20x1.5 (i think thats right).

I recommend the Mocal ones, as they have a very nice seal design. You could probs pick one up from the likes of Demon Tweeks over in the UK or any number of other retailers.

Bump gents,

Just to double check, if I still had stock headers and got a Mocal or Mishimoto thermostatic sandwich plate, I will have trouble installing it? I see some kits have spacers so I believe they position the plates a litter further away from the block?

Cheers,

Pete.


With stock headers you may get away with removing the heat-shield from the cross-over pipe and wrapping it. This may give you enough real estate depending on sensor size. Adding a spacer is there is adding another potential leak source. Over tightening the bolt for the sandwich plate(s) can also cause issues for the heat exchanger above it, so don't get too agricultural.

_________________
:drinks: Bob
Often cynical and/or sceptical
New Ride MY17 BRZ Last Ride Image Previous Ride Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 am 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Posts: 2454
Location: S.E. Melbourne
Thanks Bob. I'll have a real look next time I jack up my car. This is not for sensors but for a custom fit oil cooler setup I'm trying to work out..

I'll look into the OEM heat shield for the header cross pipe too. Heat exchanger, are you referring to the OEM oil cooler above the oil filter only on the STIs? I've been looking at several installation manuals for kits. I'll have another look at them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Current: '09 SH9 XTP (click)

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:05 am 
User avatar

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

Posts: 16228
Location: Medowie (near Newcastle), NSW
For an oil cooler set up the room is about the same. Ideally you'd want the sandwich plate to have the outlets facing straight down (PW ones back in the day were like this) and once some 90 degree hose fittings are on there the hoses would clear the stock headers.

_________________
:drinks: Bob
Often cynical and/or sceptical
New Ride MY17 BRZ Last Ride Image Previous Ride Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 am 
User avatar

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Posts: 17724
Location: Spearwood Perth WA
You can get non thermostat equipped take-offs for oil coolers which are smaller than those with built in thermostats.

You can also get take-offs designed to relocate the oil filter. These can even have the plumbing going down instead of sideways aswell. But either of those options requires a full relocation of the oil filter. It would probs be easier to just fit headers with more clearance.

_________________
>>>My Ride<<<


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Oil filter sandwich plate size
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:39 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Posts: 2454
Location: S.E. Melbourne
be_oh_be wrote:
For an oil cooler set up the room is about the same. Ideally you'd want the sandwich plate to have the outlets facing straight down (PW ones back in the day were like this) and once some 90 degree hose fittings are on there the hoses would clear the stock headers.

Bram wrote:
You can get non thermostat equipped take-offs for oil coolers which are smaller than those with built in thermostats.

You can also get take-offs designed to relocate the oil filter. These can even have the plumbing going down instead of sideways aswell. But either of those options requires a full relocation of the oil filter. It would probs be easier to just fit headers with more clearance.

Thanks gents, appreciate it.

PW plates these days don't anymore? I'll have a look. I haven't seen any with down facing outlets yet.

From the installation manuals of the kits I see for WRXs, they have a spacer and then the plate. A bit hard to explain (I'll have to attach a photo or few from the installation manuals next time I'm on the computer) but I think the spacer does two things: 1. Gets the sandwich plate further away from the block and more room for lines/fittings etc; and 2. Gets the sandwich plate low enough so the in/out lines go under the timing belt cover but over the headers. The STIs have the OEM cooler above the oil filter so I believe that is why their kits don't have the spacer. I'll attach a photo tomorrow.

Bram, I think I'll go thermostatic plates mainly because I don't want the oil cooler active all the time. Somewhere warmer like QLD, a non-thermostatic plate might be okay? I guess if a car is always on track, it doesn't really matter if the plate is thermostatic or not. Just my thoughts out loud..

Aftermarket headers would be ideal, and maybe in the future. However, I said above that I think a spacer is still required so the plate outlets are under/clear the timing belt cover. I'll have to confirm this. Did you guys have the same problem/did you guys even need to use a spacer?

I've been looking up sandwich plates and spacers. Most spacers come in a kit and can't seem to find them sold separately. Then I remembered you talking about Mocal plates - they have spacers separately. Did you get your plate from Motorsport Connections (MSCN) or from the U.K.?

I'll keep doing my research.. :lol:


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Current: '09 SH9 XTP (click)

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 35 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
"Takka LE" for phpBB3