Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: P0030 Heater Control error
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XS - Regal Blue/Silver

Hi all, I have been looking in other parts of the forum but can't seem to piece together this puzzle. I got a CEL and popped over ot my mate's place tonigh and grabbed his OBD2. Turns out it's throwing up a P0030 'HO2S Heater control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1'. Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I have a 2005 XS Forester manual 2.5L. I'm quite happy to buy my own bits and do my own work (it doesn't look like too much of a contract to replace a sensor if I need to). I'm not however overly confident in checking voltages etc without a 'dummies guide'.

Has anyone else had this exact issue and can you please give me some advice/guidance on how to fix it? I have noticed recently that my fuel has been chewed through, it is rough accelerating and yesterday morning it took a good 5 seconds to turn over. I'm guessing the fuel/air mix isn't on point.

If anyone has the part number or advice on correct parts or suppliers, or perhaps a basics on what I should do before I go forking over my cash, I'd be very grateful.

I have checked various forums and googled the hell out of this issue but I'm confused on part numbers etc. I think I've found about 4 so far that all look the same.

Post subject: Re: P0030 Heater Control error
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:18 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Looks like a stuffed 02 sensor.

Your mechanic (or smarter ozfoz members) might be able to tell you which one and/or if they are all the same part number anyway so you can experiment with which one to swap.

On the SH model i believe they are (at least) two different types - one in the exhaust manifold and one in the mid-pipe. The plug connection is the major difference.

Should be replaceable at home with a 22mm (i think) ring spanner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Yeh or if you want to have a close look the ones I've seen have a part number stamped on them which you can then cross reference to denso or hitachi and go from there .
Yeh as yowie said usually 22mm , I bought a cheap one and cut a slit in the top with a grinder to make it easy to thread the wires in / out .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm 

Thanks, yeah it's definitely 22mm. All the videos I've seen have it shown. Some folks say a spanner will work but then a lot say a 22mm socket with a groove for the cable or a proper O2 removal socket is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:57 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I have the special socket.

It won't fit on the exhaust manifold 02 sensor on an SH (socket wall too thick and 02 sensor too close to the cast iron manifold wall - from memory).

The 22mm ring spanner is fine. I didn't even need to cut a slot because the unclipped plug end will fit through the 22mm ring.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Cool , I bought mine ( denso ) and the wife's ( hitachi ) from here , that was a few years ago so no idea how their prices compare these days with the dollar etc - was good price / top service back then .

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 am 

cam99 wrote:
Cool , I bought mine ( denso ) and the wife's ( hitachi ) from here , that was a few years ago so no idea how their prices compare these days with the dollar etc - was good price / top service back then .

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/

Thanks mate. I'm in the process of chatting to this bloke:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/DIRT-DEVIL-IND

He seems really good to deal with and stocks Denso stuff about $40-$50 cheaper than other places I've found. Hopefully get it overnight shipped down to Tas from Brisbane tomorrow. I rang around a few places like Repco and Supercheap but they were all a bit useless and didn't stock Denso which (from what I can tell) is the best type of sensor to go with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:38 am 

Yowie wrote:
I have the special socket.

It won't fit on the exhaust manifold 02 sensor on an SH (socket wall too thick and 02 sensor too close to the cast iron manifold wall - from memory).

The 22mm ring spanner is fine. I didn't even need to cut a slot because the unclipped plug end will fit through the 22mm ring.

That's awesome to know. I have an SG EJ251. I won't bother with the socket unless the ring spanner won't work then I'll bite the bullet and shoot into the local supercheap and grab a 22mm slotted socket. When I'm done I'll gift it to my mate whose garage I'll be borrowing to do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm 

Hi all, here's the hoping someone here has some advice. I got the Denso sensor and I have located the sensor (a 22mm spanner did the job to undo it) but how the hell do I undo the plug?? It's flush up against the engine block and my giant hands are struggling to fit in there and undo it. Anyone have a trick or suggestion? I've sprayed it with CRC and will give it another crack in the morning.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:39 pm 

Disregard, I found that the plug was fastened to a steel clip and I couldn't see behind it to see it had a press release that allowed it to slide off and made getting it off a hell of a lot easier. Done and dusted. A couple of banged knuckles later and it's all running beautifully with now P0030 error anymore. :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next