Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Pete's MY09 Forester XT intro and questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:46 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT

Hey guys and gals,

I am picking up my first 09 Foz XT next weekend probably and have a few mods in mind for it to get some more power out of it, it will be a budget build so any comments on saving money on the build would be appreciated!
This may become a build thread of things that I will modify, it may not lol.

I have in mind the following:

-VF52 Turbo swap and a Custom dyno tune

-GFB Respons BOV (already purchased lol)

-Short shifter (cheapest option)

-Boost controller, not sure what one to get yet, any hints and tips would be great.

-Exhaust of some sort, I'm thinking a WRX or sti system as I don't want to spend over $800 and don't want something really loud and droney as I'll be doing 600 hwy kms a week. I still want it to breath well though so may consider an aftermarket dump if that would work better with a bigger turbo. I want that boxer rumble without being hugely loud and obnoxious. Any ideas would be great!

-Wheels are low on the list but would be looking at some 17 inch Rota Grids wrapped in Potenza re003s.

-Suspension is staying stock as I want it to be able to handle dirt roads etc plus I want it to look like a sleeper. It already has a Whiteline rear sway bar in it.

-Brakes I may eventually upgrade to WRX 4 pots.

-General body work like removing small dents and a few scrapes to get it looking great!

It needs to be reliable so I'm not going to be running huge boost or anything crazy.
Any tip or tricks on the above mods would be very much appreciated.

Pics to come.

Cheers,
Pete

Last edited by Fozpete95 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pete's MY09 Forester XT intro and questions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:24 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S Edition - Black

exhaust and turbo is best bang for buck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:46 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Welcome.

For what it's worth, my comments on budget "bang for buck" are added below. If your budget is bigger than my comments match then ignore some of my stingier suggestions.

Fozpete95 wrote:

I have in mind the following:

-VF52 Turbo swap

Fine/good. If you prefer responsiveness and can give up some top-end a VF46 will be cheaper

and a Custom dyno tune

Essential. Do after turbo, exhaust and any boost control is fitted. Matt of ThrottleHappy Tuning is excellent value and a great tuner.

-GFB Respons BOV (already purchased lol)

Not needed. Sell it again if you want to free up some $$

-Short shifter (cheapest option)

-Boost controller, not sure what one to get yet, any hints and tips would be great.

The tune will control the boost. The choice is between the stock 2-port boost control solenoid or an aftermarket 3-port. Main difference is speed of the boost hit rather than total power.

-Exhaust of some sort, I'm thinking a WRX or sti system as I don't want to spend over $800 and don't want something really loud and droney as I'll be doing 600 hwy kms a week. I still want it to breath well though so may consider an aftermarket dump if that would work better with a bigger turbo. I want that boxer rumble without being hugely loud and obnoxious. Any ideas would be great!

Aftermarket dump is essential. After that you can mix & match stock, aftermarket & custom-made parts to match your requirements for sound and "shiny stuff" within budget. I use an Xforce dump, then a custom mild steel mid section with two resonators, then a custom mild steel rear section with two tri-flow mufflers. It is relatively free-flowing with a nice (but not too loud) sporty note. My wife isnt a fan ("still too loud"). It's not the only way to do things and plenty of people have success with WRX mid and rear sections - probably very cheap to obtain as the vape crowd upgrades to full stainless.

-Wheels are low on the list but would be looking at some 17 inch Rota Grids wrapped in Potenza re003s.

stock rims with the 003s under the current/regular "4 for the price of 3" deals is good value

-Suspension is staying stock as I want it to be able to handle dirt roads etc plus I want it to look like a sleeper. It already has a Whiteline rear sway bar in it.

-Brakes I may eventually upgrade to WRX 4 pots.

Try Gen4 or Gen4 Liberty GT fronts and (if needed) Gen 5 Liberty GT rears. The stock Liberty pads & rotors are fine if you want to save $$. fancy slotted stuff can come later.

-General body work like removing small dents and a few scrapes to get it looking great!

It needs to be reliable so I'm not going to be running huge boost or anything crazy.
Any tip or tricks on the above mods would be very much appreciated.

Pics to come.

Cheers,
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Welcome Pete.

Yowie - nailed it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 pm 

Thanks for the response Yowie.

The BOV was a must for me so it's staying, I know it's not necessary but it was more of a want haha!

Turbo wise, I've been looking at the vf46 turbo's and if they are going to be more responsive than a vf52 it sounds like that's the way to go. I'm not hugely worried about the top end because let's face it the car will never be tracked to get maxed out and I'm not worried about being a dyno queen and it pumping out huge figures.

Do I need to get the tune done straight away after doing the turbo swap or can I still drive it for a few weeks on a bigger turbo and stock tune? I'm just assuming it would be fine and that there just won't be any gains from the bigger turbo.

Cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:08 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

No worries. Good on you for asking. I would have saved a lot of money by researching harder before spending.

---

If you drive carefully at low revs/boost you can probably get away with a delay between turbo fitment and tune.

If it's more than a day or so you probably want to temporarily set it up to make the wastegate open super early - I believe by running a piece of vacuum line from the nipple on the compressor outlet straight to the nipple on the wastegate diaphragm (I think...because I haven't done it personally).

You're trying to prevent the car from having a lean mixture (due to not being tuned for those conditions) under boost/load because it is likely to knock badly and break pistons.

---

Opinions differ, but I really enjoyed the VF46 in terms of responsiveness and overall balance for a road car when I was still on petrol.

Now I'm running on E85 the responsiveness is apesh*t and the car would probably still be responsive on a bigger turbo due to the extra exhaust gas and ignition advance on E85.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:39 pm 

Thanks for that reply once again Yowie!
Decided to go vf52 with an aftermarket dump pipe with hiflow cat and a Stock STI catback system. Hopefully will give me the tone and flow I'm after without being too loud.

Just a question with the exhaust, am I able to run this without a tune then when I've got the turbo then get it tuned?

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:46 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

You will be able to run the exhaust mods without a tune, you will get a slight gain, but the tune will certainly make a huge difference.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:00 pm 

nomads64 wrote:
You will be able to run the exhaust mods without a tune, you will get a slight gain, but the tune will certainly make a huge difference.
Thanks for this!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]