Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Air Oil Separator Location
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:42 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT

Hey Guys,
I have purchased an IAG competition air oil separator for my SH9 Foz and finding it a bit of a pain to find a good spot to mount it as the instructions were all for LHD cars :dontknow: .

Has anyone installed one of these and has any installation tips? My tuner suggested getting a Cold Air Intake to free up some room on the driver's side.
Cheers
Andrew

Link to unit
https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-Comp-Air-Oil-Separator-AOS-Subaru-WRX-STI-p/iag-eng-7251.htm

Post subject: Re: Air Oil Separator Location
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

With a bit of mdf and duct tape you can fashion up a bracket by the ABS.

Attachments:
C80305AF-47D1-4505-81E8-700AB0EB2108.jpeg
C80305AF-47D1-4505-81E8-700AB0EB2108.jpeg [ 309.48 KiB | Viewed 70 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I put a smaller catch can on the passenger-side strut tower:-

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=55412&start=0

With a bit of bracket & angle creativity you might be able to find somewhere to mount it in that area.

For your IAG can you can probably simplify installation hose routing (and therefore installation) by disregarding engine coolant lines and running the drain to a tap rather than back to sump.

Check out this cr@p that collects in mine (running E85 fuel):-

The only potential saving grace might be that the coolant boils off the water content and turns the catch can contents back into 100% oil. I doubt it would be 100% effective in real time in all cases. Especially for a road car that has a lot of cold starts etc. As such, if you want to test it I recommend draining to a container (eg fortnightly) before you decide to drain to sump.

Search "flatirons tuning" and "catch can" on youtube. They send that sort of cr@p to the lab and got back a report on the content (incl water) and a recommendation against letting it back into the sump.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 am 

Thanks everyone for your fast replies, I am always impressed by the OzFoz forum :thumbs:

I see Tobyo you have a Process West CAI, I have ordered one to make room where yours is going or next to the radiator. BTW how is the noise from the CAI? I am worried about mine being loud, but my tuner said it will be quieter than my ELH! With all my reading into ELH there seems to be no clear info on what is louder. I have had a ring land failure in #4 piston, hence my journey on the built engine path, hopefully the ELH will help keep #4 cooler.

Good idea Yowie on using it with a tap, I might do this to start with. I am a bit unsure how much I will collect as it will be my first motor with forged pistons. I was going to leave the coolant lines off to start with.

In hindsight, I probably should have got a cheaper catch catch can if I was not going to use the coolant lines and the oil return :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

The noise from the CAI? best described as that same feeling when you accidentally drop the 10mm spanner over the engine and it falls straight out onto the ground.
A mixure of pure joy, a grin ear to ear and that little lump in the back of the throat.
Its not very loud and if you put a bigger turbo on is even more subdued with restrained driving.
Dont feel too bad about a purchase that upon reflection you regret. Thats what half of my ebay sales are about.
The PW CAI does require a tune due to the larger diameter around the MAF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am 

1) You've just reminded me, next to the radiator an be a good site for a tall catch can. This is my "valve cover breathers" can:-

2) If an overkill (or non-used or sold as new) catch can is the worst of your "spent more than i should have, I know more now" adventures with this car you're laughing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm 

Yeah might go with 2x Mishimoto Compact or Radium Engineering Dual Universal kit. Hopefully a bit smaller and will reduce the plumbing required as no oil drain back and no coolant lines.
I will have few items for sale once I am finished, a VF52 turbo with only 15,000 km on it and now an unused IAG AOS!
For the price of all this mucking about I could I got new cams, hopefullly will be ok with the stock cams being a daily driver. I don't want to scrimp on the reliability of it, hopefully the catch cans help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:27 pm 

Getting an aftermarket silicone turbo inlet pipe (with spigots you can swivel) will also help with catch can fitment - particularly the hose from the "valve cover breather" catch can back into the inlet pipe in my case.

The stock plastic turbo inlet pipe has fixed right-angle spigots.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm 

I am using a silicon inlet hose the IAG competition unit vents to the atmosphere so I dont need to run any lines back so i don't need to worry but will keep in mind if i change to the catch cans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm 

I Say: www.facebook.com/perfectiondetailing
Vehicle: MY06 X Lux --> MY10 XTP!

Tobyo wrote:
The noise from the CAI? best described as that same feeling when you accidentally drop the 10mm spanner over the engine and it falls straight out onto the ground.
A mixure of pure joy, a grin ear to ear and that little lump in the back of the throat.
Its not very loud and if you put a bigger turbo on is even more subdued with restrained driving.
Dont feel too bad about a purchase that upon reflection you regret. Thats what half of my ebay sales are about.
The PW CAI does require a tune due to the larger diameter around the MAF.

Without disagreeing with any of this, after I put my PW CAI on, and drove it and parked it, the next time I drove it wasn't throwing any error codes and went like a dream on WOT and small loads. I'd still 100% tune it.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next