Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Cleaning Electric Throttle Body
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP - Dark Gray Metallic

Hello all,

I am having intermittent drops in idle when coming to a stop and recently changed my turbo over to a VF52 with a tune etc.

Since owning the car I haven't checked the throttle body as yet and was interested in giving it a bit of a clean, I've read online that it should just be an easy removal of a few bits and pieces and spraying some Carby Cleaner/Throttle Body Cleaner in there and wiping it down. Due to the 08+ Foz and WRX having electric throttle body is there a way to do this safely without damaging the motor or confusing the calibration of it when moving the blade?

I was keen on removing the throttle body itself to give it a proper inspection and clean but a bit scared of doing damage to it, anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Damon :drinks:

2010 Subaru Forester XT Premium - "Stage 2" - TurboSMART eBoost Street Boost Controller @ 19PSI | VF52 | Home-made Mild Steel Dump | WRX mid-pipe and mufflers | Pedders lowering springs | Tuned by Torqued Performance

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Electric Throttle Body
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:23 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

You can have a look at the throttle by removing the intercooler (bolts & hose clamp) and throttle body hose (hose clamp/s).

Mark the upright position of the throttle body hose as accurately as you can, they can be annoying to "clock" correctly (for a good intercooler fit) when you put them back on.

Also, beware of the rubber ends/collars coming off OEM throttle body hoses. I bought a pair of Kobe Motorsports silicone hoses to replace OEM on both of our household SH foresters because i was sick of the rubber ends BS. Ends coming off isn't fatal, just annoying.

My throttle body stays pretty clean after a simple wipe of the intercooler side, but for a "tide line" from where accumulated oil has touched the bottom of the butterfly

From an inspection and a simple spray/wipe you might be content that your throttle body cleanliness isn't causing the idle drop (eg without removing the whole thing)?

I would grab a copy of the relevant-years WRX Gregorys (?) manual if you want to see the recommended process for removing throttle bodies (or similar jobs).

---

Is airconditioning on during the idle-drop you describe, or does it also happen without AC?

---

If you're in a cleaning mood with the intercooler removed, i recommend removing the PCV valve from the back of the manifold and cleaning it with throttle body & carby cleaner from this:-

to this:-

Post subject: Re: Cleaning Electric Throttle Body
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP - Dark Gray Metallic

Thanks for the info Yowie,

Yeah the idle issue appeared since I installed the GFB BOV onto the car but I found that this was me being a bit of a noob and leaving the out of the box spring tension on which was waaay too low, so coming to a stop at a set of lights and putting the car into neutral just before would have it drop to 600RPM~ and then stutter before correcting to 750RPM~ because the BOV piston was still open and venting to atmosphere. I know the small AC stammer you are likely thinking of, but that doesn't seem to be causing the issue.

I upped the spring rate and the problem went away but since going to the higher boost tune from Torqued Performance it has re-appeared, it might be worth me upping the spring tension a bit more due to higher pressures? Dunno, either way I wanted to check the Throttle Body anyway as the car is getting a bit of blowby, hasn't been cleaned since I got the car and is due for sparks/belt/water pump etc.

I am doing the AVCS solenoids aswell when doing everything else, which can also cause funky idle problems, and will be looking at installing a catch can for the blowby aswell for peace of mind. I'll add the PCV valve to the list!

Damon

2010 Subaru Forester XT Premium - "Stage 2" - TurboSMART eBoost Street Boost Controller @ 19PSI | VF52 | Home-made Mild Steel Dump | WRX mid-pipe and mufflers | Pedders lowering springs | Tuned by Torqued Performance

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]