Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Cluster swap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:29 am 

I Say: Piston slap.. at least you know it wont seize...
Vehicle: MY08 XT- silver

Spent 2 years looking and ringing around for a secondhand S-edition /2012 cluster for the SH. i got desperate at one point and tried a local dealer but they didn't want to sell me a new one saying its not a supported upgrade , policy etc etc etc. i bought one from the US thru ebay and was willing to put up with the dual imperial-metric reading but they sent the wrong one citing they didn't have the one pictured anymore :evil: :evil: :evil:. Finally 2 weeks ago i was able to get my grubby hands on a 2012 . i could have gone the WRX/STi cluster route but have always been drawn to the S -edition style cluster.

There's one very good write up online on swapping and that was my main guide :
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulleti ... -a-563497/

and one not so clear translated write up (original in Russian)
https://www.drive2.com/l/3767153/

my experience was pretty much the same as ajiuo in his forester.org write up. i first removed the hood/visor/cluster bezel/trim around the cluster and undid the 2 screws securing the cluster. Then started the car and turned it off , leaving the key in position i undid the connector on the back swapped the cluster over and it started.

Next up was to match the odometer, on Ebay i found one odometer correction guy in Sydney and one located in QLD. I have had Michael from Prestige- fix do pixel repairs for me before ( the sydney guy) his quote was a little more but as i 'know' him i sent off the 2012 cluster to him.
To reprogram the odo he had to take the front face off so he can access the chip. It was at this point one of my contacts rang me and offered up a S-edition cluster
...arrrgh...always the way ..
when i got the S-edition version i tested that as well and took it for a short test drive. Video is on the S-edition test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xSGgamSbkM

I took it for a short drive and everything worked and as you can tell from the video the dash lcd screen wasnt fully functional it lost the outside air temp and fuel usage leaving only the current time. i understand i mite need to get the LCD from the donor car to make it work fully. My car is the auto 4EAT and the cluster displayed the SPORT setting and the individual gears ( but obviously it didn't get to 5th lol ), it was so nice to have a temp gauge again.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE .. if you turn off the car, after about half a minute it wont start again!! regardless of if you have the key in or not. i suspect its to do with the security settings. I had the original cluster with me so i just swapped it back and started the car again. It wasn't the drama it could have been had i not brought the old cluster along lol.

lastly was the key coding. i booked a time to get the keys done but had to move up the appointment as i was fast approaching the reading Mike had set for me (only about 300 kilometers more on the replacement so no biggie). This i thought was the tricky part. I drove up with the old cluster in place and swapped the cluster in the parking lot, presented the car and stressed that it might not start again if they left it too long.
1.5hr and 82 bucks later i had 2 keys all programmed and was good to go.
The service manager i spoke to was saying how his tech and him had been wondering if it was possible as they were different clusters. He had a query about this a while back (i'm guessing one of you guys lol) but yes it can be done and they did it.

p.s. i haven't quite decided what to do with the spare S- edition cluster yet i guess if i get a good offer id let it go..or not lol

Attachments:
38600464_10214949223698610_894748507888418816_o.jpg
38600464_10214949223698610_894748507888418816_o.jpg [ 119.17 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

Last edited by vicey on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Cluster swap
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:03 am 

Vehicle: MY09 SH XTP 5MT

vicey wrote:
1.5hr and 82 bucks later i had 2 keys all programmed and was good to go.

The service manager i spoke to was saying how his tech and him had been wondering if it was possible as they were different clusters. He had a query about this a while back (i'm guessing one of you guys lol) but yes it can be done and they did it.

Great advice and write up - I'm just about to do this. May I ask where you got your keys reprogrammed? Best I've been quoted so far is $66 each

Post subject: Re: Cluster swap
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:51 am 

I Say: Piston slap.. at least you know it wont seize...
Vehicle: MY08 XT- silver

Mentone Subaru, originally booked into Doncaster ( enquired with Camberwell but they never got back to me) .

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]