Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: SH turbo forester tuning question - VF52
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:59 pm 

Vehicle: 2012 S-Edition Forester

Hi guys,

New S-Edition owner here, super happy with the car so far but as always - i'll be looking to do some upgrades to get the most out of it.

My question is - before i take it in for a tune, what mods should i be doing? Is a bigger dump pipe enough or should I do the full turbo back exhaust? Also is the stock intake okay or do i need to upgrade that as well?

Any advice from other owners/enthusiasts etc would be great, this is my first turbo car so i'm still getting used to everything.

Cheers!!!

Post subject: Re: SH turbo forester tuning question - VF52
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

Welcome to the S edition club. It sure is a capable car.

Plenty of options and everyone has done it differently.

My first tune was just the tune (no bolt ons) and it made a considerable difference to the factory tune. Put a big smile on my face.
I then put on the dump pipe and tuned again. The dump pipe will allow much better flow, the mid pipe and mufflers will only benefit sound.
Then a few other things after that (check my build log in my signature)

In regards to the air intake, these are generally fine up until around 200kw at the wheels so not needed to upgrade just yet unless you wanted the intake sound.

Have a look at some of the S edition build logs in the gallery and get an idea as to what people have done so far.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge so welcome aboard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 pm 

Thanks for the welcome mate! i've been trauling around this forum a bit, so much good info on here. Sounds like I might just chuck a nice DP on and see how we go - not looking to make a whole lot of noise, my last car was loud enough :p

How about the fuel system and intercooler - are they capable enough for the stock turbo?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:50 pm 

Everything will be fine if you were to throw a good dump pipe on and tuned it. The invidia do a dump pipe for the S edition (auto). Note it's not the same dump pipe as the forester auto as the S comes with the 5EAT transmission. The specific one needed is labelled "legacy auto down pipe"

In the end it depends if you want to go big bang or piece by piece.

As for a tuner alot of us on here use Throttle Happy tuning (myself included) very well priced and Matt knows his stuff. He flys all around the country so makes it easy for anyone to use him

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

The dump pipe plus tune will be your major "bang for buck" steps.

Everything else will be marginal in comparison until you want to mess around with E85, bigger turbos, etc. which is more of a "stage 2" set of steps.

The air intake and intercooler in particular will be fine for what you are doing.

I would be interested in making sure the transition from the aftermarket dump pipe to the OEM cat-back section is smooth (rather than a hard reduction in diameter). I'm not sure what parts or exhaust shop fabrication work would be needed for that. The other option is to get a cat-back section custom-made for the level of quiet you want, which would be a bit of a hit & miss affair and probably not great value.

You'll lose your OEM heat shield around the dump pipe if you go to after-market dump pipe. While heat shielding is not strictly necessary, I like the idea of reducing radiant heat in that area (near brakes and under the intercooler). Perrin make this heat blanket, which isn't cheap:- https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/the ... ubaru.html . Consider also wraps (pain in the backside by some accounts) and/or coatings (arguable efficacy).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:42 pm 

Cheers guys, great info! I found this DP from nvidia which says it fits the S-edition in the description but have shot them an email to confirm as the 5EAT is alot different to the 4EAT in terms of clearance, as mentioned above. I’ll be interested to see what they say...

https://invidia-exhausts.com.au/product/61/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 pm 

This is the dump that went on my S edition.
Slightly different number but they may have made some tweaks. Best to wait for invidia to confirm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAsaXTKQufyyi2TF7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:10 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Along with a dump pipe you may want to consider a silicon turbo inlet and SFB. These help improve spool time therefore bringing power in a bit earlier. Perhaps a 3 port boost solenoid to help with tuning. These are optional but all help get the most out of your engine.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:47 am 

Excuse my ignorance but what is an SBF??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:00 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Good to ask :)

SFB = Short Fat Bit. It connects the turbo inlet to the air box to increase flow over stock.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 14 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next