Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sanity Check - Help me Brains Trust!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:09 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT

Wil06 wrote:
Does the 4EAT also need strengthening?

Most folks tell me it's strong enough... If it's not then I can budget for a new one each year. Just part of the maintenance schedule. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:41 am 

So she went in yesterday for all the work at Top Torque then will have a quick trailer trip to Spingy Performance for a re-tune on the jungle juice.

It sucks not having the foz. It has been a day and a half and I'm having major withdrawals. Kinda confirms that I was right to hang on to the car and just make it betterererer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:26 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 SH S Edition Forester

Please do tell how the upgrade works have progressed?? Happy with the result?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:16 pm 

DIGBOTT wrote:
Please do tell how the upgrade works have progressed?? Happy with the result?

She's back from getting all the goodies stuffed into her.

Totally different car to drive now and a whole bunch of new things to address going forward.

The jump to 9.0:1 compression, e85 and the vf46 turbo has given me a very interesting power curve. Max power is 188kW up from 159kW and where I used to be at 120 kw at about 2800rpm i am getting getting about 166kW.

Turbo is most certainly running out of puff to keep up with the increased fuel coming in with the bigger injectors/pump and e85. It runs a max boost of 20psi and that drops to 15psi for the top end.

She's a bitch to start in these low single digit mornings and the bottom end is now noisy like a little truck but that is fine to live with.

The issues that have cropped up is that the stock suspension with 165k on them is no good if you want to stay connected to the road. Front is spinning like a bitch all the way through 1st and most of second with the front just pointing at the sky.

I have wrx struts to chuck in it as an interim to stiff coilovers.

On the power side the next step is the dom2.5 xtr with the 10cm hotside and a verticooler. Not sure where that will get me but no point in doing any more power mods when traction is the biggest issue in the car.

Still trying to keep it sleeper(ish) but the smell is giving me away and have had mr highway patrol pull in behind me for much longer than i would appreciate just off the pong of the E85.

The journey continues.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:22 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!

Lots of Dom 2.5’s come up for sale second hand with very little km’s. I believe it is due to the fact they are a fair bit more laggy and dont suit a daily driver. All nice having a big kw figure.. but when that is measured at 160kmph, its rather pointless (unless of course you do track days). The blouch 1.5 is a far more common turbo for the street scene.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Nice big difference over stock :) You are definitely being held back by the VF46. Agree with Tobyo that dom1.5 will be a better daily driver with power coming in earlier. Maybe a VF52 as an interim step if you don't want to or can't afford a Dom right now? VF52 should be about 210-220ish.

Will the bottom end quiet down over time?

Wow - on stock suspension must be scary on launch with major bum squat. Additional to new struts/springs/coilover, I found the Perrin subframe lockdown kit helped remove some bum squat.

Enjoy the new ride!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:55 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Tobyo wrote:
Lots of Dom 2.5’s come up for sale second hand with very little km’s. I believe it is due to the fact they are a fair bit more laggy and dont suit a daily driver. All nice having a big kw figure.. but when that is measured at 160kmph, its rather pointless (unless of course you do track days). The blouch 1.5 is a far more common turbo for the street scene.

I sold mine because it was too small :dontknow: Far from laggy. Spooled faster than a td05 and made more power too. Was on song from 3600.

The way i see it its kinda a size that once you get to that level of mods, you may aswell go bigger turbo anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:22 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!

Dedicated track car vs street car are two different kettle of fish. It’s just an observation that on the social media “For Sale” pages the 2.5 come up for sale very often. And their reason for sale is “going a different direction”, but they never elaborate further.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:38 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

I honestly had no issues with it being too large. Even when i did drive the car on the road. The thing spooled fast. As said, faster than a billet wheel TD05-18G and have the graphs to show this.

I will tell you the reason people sell them. What happens is first the EJ goes dok-dok, (pretty typical of a slightly modified Subaru). Then they build a engine, and put something like a DOM2.5 on, thinking its a big turbo. Then the car doesnt quite make some magic power number as seen on some US car forum, because the turbo isnt actually a big turbo, its a mid size, stock location turbo, and its confined by the limitations of its size and stock location setup, (and it probably hasnt been tuned to within an inch of its life to get the magic power figure seen on said US forum). So they sell the turbo and do what they should have done first time around which is do something like a rotated setup.

Dont get me wrong, the DOM is a great turbo for what it is, but its at an awkward size where its too big for a basic low modification level setup, and too small for a proper build. This is my honest $0.02

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 am 

jonp wrote:
Will the bottom end quiet down over time?

No.

The noise is a because a little bit loose piston to bore clearance. The reason you loosen the piston to wall is with forged alloy pistons, they expand at a faster rate than the block. So when hot that clearance reduces. But when the engine is cold, it willl rattle like a tracktor. If you dont drive it hard enough to keep heat in there, it will still rattle like a tracktor. No amount of KMs will reduce the piston clearance. Infact, if anything, it will only increase with use.

Some engine machineists will take a forged pistons recommend PtB clearance, and then increase it more for an evenn more rattly engine, because either lazy machining, or stuck in the mindset that the piston will grow. Obviosly piston manucfactures already account for the heat expansion with thier recommoneded clearances. And they leave a little wiggle room, because having a loose fit is a million times more desireable than having a tight fit nip up in the bore and destroy an engine. When the engine machinesist does the same thing, and set the clearance a little looser than the piston manufactures recommended, (because again a little loose is more desireable than too tight), you end up with a motor that is definitely too loose. And it will be a noisy engine.

The other common cause of engine noise on subaru builds is the excessive valve lash. The lash is set with individually sized and purchased lifters/buckets. And these lifters arent cheap. (More than $50 each in Aus, and you may need 16, plus subaru australia literally carry 0 stock, so order in from overseas, and associated delays with sourcing them, not practical for a shop where time is money) so often they will be re-used and swapped about with whatever they happen to have lying around. (The mix n match approach) Every subaru builder will have a big box of used lifters for this exact reason, but i can garantee, none of them will have every size in his collection. As its not practical.

And ontop of that, setting the lash correctly is immensely labour intensive, like to do it properly, you gonna take the best part of a full day, no joke. So quite often, its not practical to spend the time getting it exact, because the customer is gonna complain when he gets a $1-1.5k bill just to set his valve lash. And then there is joe blow heads who supposedly do the entire job for half that. Well guess what, its not gonna be exact. And then there will be rattly lifters too.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next