Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Sanity Check - Help me Brains Trust!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:40 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT

I'm at a bit of a cross-roads with my Foz, its a 2010 with a 4EAT Current mods are:
VF46
3 port
TBE
Lib GT brakes
Bigger 18x8.5 wheels
Currently tuned to about 160KW

So here is the current status of the car. I need to replace two CV shafts, and the diff. No big deal, they are knocking and binding a bit so that's a certainty.
The other issue is that I think I have a small (inconsistent) head gasket leak of combustion gas into the coolant.

Sitting at home ready to go on the car is lowered suspension, New silicone bits (intake, SFB and throttle body), split fuel rails, 300l/h fuel pump, ID 1050x injectors and fuel pressure regulator all to go e85.

I want to keep the car as it suits my lifestyle too well and if i sold it I would just end up wanting another foz. My current thinking is to just jump as far as is practical down the rabbit hole and do it in one movement.

Which leaves me wondering what to do next.

Current thinking is:
Open the motor, new rods and pistons, better head gasket and head studs.
Stick all the E85 and intake bits on and run it like that for the bedding in period with the vf46.
Step 2 would be larger turbo and Process West TMIC...

Any pearls of wisdom about all this would be great.

Also who would you recommend in Melbourne (ideally out east) to do the internal engine work?

Post subject: Re: Sanity Check - Help me Brains Trust!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:45 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!

Might be best to disclose your budget first, before wisdom starts flowing :lol:
(Top Torque are a very renouned subaru engine builder)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:54 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Presumably the budget option is:-

(a) install the bits you have, tune for E85, run it for a while and keep an eye on the suspected head gasket leak;

Then at a certain trigger point (budget, goals & deterioration dependent);

(b) do the most basic "new gasket" reconditioning job with existing heads/block and keep enjoying the car; or

(c) get the "built block" started while you still have the driving-around use of the car (assuming "block/etc exchange after engine swap" is financially workable)

Don't underestimate the fun to be had in a road car with a standard block, 16psi boost, VF46, E85 and a quality tune (i.e up to 200kw with torque kicking in very early in the rev range). Ask me how i know :p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:59 pm 

Vehicle: 00 gt

What if you put all the good bits in a s-edition with a 5sp auto?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:13 pm 

Well budget is fairly open TBH. I know that the built motor is not going to be cheap as parts alone would be running me $3,500 without the turbo or TMIC. I'm prepared to spend the money where it is "justified". That said I want to be smart about how it all gets done.

From what I understand the EJ255 block can be used with the above changes in the same way as the EJ257 and there is no tangible difference. So Ideally I would take the car off the road and get all the work done on my existing motor. I have access to another car should i need to have it away for an extended period.

Does anyone have any idea on a ball park $$$ to put on the actual work to get the motor built as above in addition to the parts list?

Whitfoz - I thought about that, but the idea of selling a foz to buy "the same car" in my wife's eyes would fly as well as a brick.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:25 pm 

[The following are genuine questions I've had Re my car, not smart-@rsery directed at you]

Do you need a built motor for your goals?

If a major benefit of a built motor is the knock-resistance of forged pistons - you are going to an amazingly knock-resistant fuel in E85.

If the other major benefit is running higher boost - consider what (big) turbo you need to take advantage of that. At what revs will it kick-in? (see some dyno charts of apesh!t built subaru engines) Will that be fun or "a pig" to drive on the road daily? What is the limit of the gearbox?

---

Contrast with just doing your head gaskets, or just grabbing an off-the-shelf new STI bottom end ($3000ish) like SNEK, running a VF46 or VF52 at 16psi on E85 and having a great time with a very responsive/fun/fast road car. You don't even need a bigger-than-stock intercooler with that plan ($1000 saved right there).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:36 pm 

Yowie wrote:
[The following are genuine questions I've had Re my car, not smart-@rsery directed at you]

Do you need a built motor for your goals?

If a major benefit of a built motor is the knock-resistance of forged pistons - you are going to an amazingly knock-resistant fuel in E85.

If the other major benefit is running higher boost - consider what (big) turbo you need to take advantage of that. At what revs will it kick-in? (see some dyno charts of apesh!t built subaru engines) Will that be fun or "a pig" to drive on the road daily? What is the limit of the gearbox?

---

Contrast with just doing your head gaskets, or just grabbing an off-the-shelf new STI bottom end ($3000ish) like SNEK, running a VF46 or VF52 at 16psi on E85 and having a great time with a very responsive/fun/fast road car. You don't even need a bigger-than-stock intercooler with that plan ($1000 saved right there).

That sound way too sensible.

I think the reality is that I won't be happy if I get the car up to 200KW. at least not in the long term. I'm thinking that a good idea would be to build the motor and get all the e85 jazz going with the vf on it and sit with that for a while. I have next to zero confidence in my current motor and fully expect it to poop itself when I least want it to.

I hear what your'e saying about drive-ability which is why I would like to see how it all was after the work and the vf.

The idea behind the built motor as opposed to just a fixed head gasket is that if you're in there already might as well make it as good as you can while your paying to have the guts on the floor.

Ultimately I may end up taking this car from being a daily to more of a dedicated project car and have something a little more practical for day to day. but that's looking 12m +

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:40 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
Might be best to disclose your budget first, before wisdom starts flowing :lol:
(Top Torque are a very renouned subaru engine builder)

Just spoke to these guys and liked what I heard. All the above (minus new turbo and TMIC) with labour plus new timing stuff water pump etc... Just north of $8k.

I'm happy to walk away from this for less than $10k so that is now top of the options list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:45 pm 

Fair enough (Re goals etc).

I've pondered myself whether a forester is a good car to go "all in" on performance mods due to mass/height/shape, or if that money/effort/love were better spent on a track-type car (road registered or not).

Eg having a less powerful rear-wheel-drive "car height" vehicle (Mazda MX5? clubman? 86 etc) with a dedicated racing community around it to earn & build ones' skills on the track.

I'm not in a financial position to do either of course. Also, Bram has probably just added me to his list of enemies for questioning the "racing forester" concept :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:25 am 

Vehicle: S-Edition

Does the 4EAT also need strengthening?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next