Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: XTP Dump Pipe fitment/brand
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Hi all,
Seeking opinions and experiences on what dump pipe people have fitted to their SH's. Speaking to my mechanic the other day, he told me there's a difference in the subframe or crossmember (can't recall) between the 4EAT and the 5EAT, which can affect how the dump pipe fits. I have a 4EAT with the TD04 and I have the below TurboXS dump pipe which was removed from an 08 WRX Hatch running a VF48.

There's three things that confuse me:
1) The 'dog leg' in the dump pipe for most WRX/STi systems I've seen, most notable on the Invidia "Aussie Spec" system.
2) Fitment issues with the 4EAT, unsure whether the current dump pipe I have will fit or not
3) Whether I need an STi steering knuckle?

The pipe I have doesn't have the dog leg in it, instead it's angled back towards the middle of the car and has a kink right at the end of the section, where it bolts to the mid-pipe. The dog leg kink is typical in basically every other system I've seen, including the OEM one.

My dump pipe:

Example of dog leg:

https://www.revworksinc.com/TURBOXS-CATTED-DOWNPIPE-WRX-2008-2014-STI-2008-2018-LEGACY-GT-2005-2009-FORESTER-XT-2009-2013_p_3555.html

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: XTP Dump Pipe fitment/brand
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:37 am 

I Say: Once was
Vehicle: Previously SH...

5EAT is a bigger box, you need to use the dump pipe to suit 04-09 auto liberty, its the only dump that will clear.

Dumps sold as "auto" are referring to clearing 4EAT, then of course the manual which needs the least clearance.

I previously bought a dump to suit 4eat and it would not clear my 5eat, had to buy the liberty one. Lesson learnt :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:23 pm 

Bugger! So it's quite possible the dump I have, which fit on a manual WRX, won't fit the 4EAT. That's a bit of a bastard to be honest. I thought they'd be fine for clearance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:23 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Serious question - how hard is it to fit a dump pipe to test-fit?

Eg you could buy enough new flange gaskets (so that you can put the OEM stuff back on if it doesn't fit) then set aside some time on the weekend to remove the current dump and test-fit the new one.

If time is more precious than money you could get the exhaust shop to have a crack, with instructions as to how you want the back-end (after the pictured gear) to go if they can get it to fit.

They would have a few tricks of the trade and better gear to make your dump fit if it just needs a cut & weld or a few hangers moved to get it on track. You could ask them how modification costs stack up against the cost of procuring a different dump pipe. These guys built my custom dump-back section - https://www.absolutecarcare.com.au/ .

(I would supply the exhaust shop with the proper OEM steel gasket/s so they don're re-use the existing one off the back of your turbo).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:32 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP & MY06 RColt

Or possibly have the rear/lower section of the dump re-made to fit?
Ie, due to in part luck of it being flanged in the middle, keep the bell-mouth section, and have the rear made to fit?

Things I could see go wrong is the angle of the bell-mouth flange to the pipe looks odd, angled like it was a twist mount or something compared to pictures of other dumps.

Is that pipe double catted? Could inevitably work to your advantage performance wise to have the rear bit re-done to exclude the second cat..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

skyrex wrote:
...Is that pipe double catted? Could inevitably work to your advantage performance wise to have the rear bit re-done to exclude the second cat..

Or ditch the first cat & keep the second for easier fitment options and better performance (more pipe before the exhaust gas hits an obstruction).

My X-Force dump just has the one cat towards the back and I've never had any issues with funky 02 sensor results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:40 pm 

There's no issues with test-fitting, just setting aside the time and motivation to do it I guess.

I spent a bit of time under the car yesterday fitting a 2011 WRX mid-pipe and mufflers. There looks to be just enough room for the second section of the dump, considering it's a straight piece compared to the OEM which does have the dog leg kink in it. Won't know until I test it I guess!

The dump has 2x cats in it, one on each section of the pipe.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]