Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Clunking binding when turning.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:04 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT -Black

So this morning I pulled into the UG parking at work to feel and hear this clunking noise as I went left. Far out I thought I had a flat tyre and was on the rims. But it only happens during turning. Cv joints? I've ordered a pair of driveshafts as Im going to change them anyway. I hope it's not diffs but I figured if it was diffs they'd do it all the time not just turning. Got some driveshafts coming in from QLD for the fronts.
Subaru steamers wanted $375 each. I got both shipped to Perth for 279.50
Will see how I go changing them.

Post subject: Re: Clunking binding when turning.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:17 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Well CV's that are buggered do the Clunking binding when turning.

You have ordered CV's and will soon know if that was the issue!

Hope that's it. Cheers Al

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:12 pm 

Changed driveshafts (one leaking) also changed the centrediff as shagged. It was the centrediff that caused the binding. Ah well..
My saga continues.
Last night made it home on the back of a tow truck precisely about a month after I got it back on the road. Clutch this time. God I hate that smell. But yeah she's nuked. Typical symptoms squeal as clutch pedal pushed in, grippy nuggetty feeling on the clutch pedal and then then can't change gear and clutch pedal sinking all the way to the floor needing toes to retract it back to height.. Stalled at a roundabout in traffic. Moved it in end using the starter motor and surprisingly I managed to drive it about another 2km up the road. Almost teeboned the farker that then decided to u turn 2 car lengths just in front of me. And that's where the fun ended. I had run out of patience, energy and the fumes got to me. Had wife and kids in car to boot.
Now to mod the FARK outta this darn car or fix and trade it in.

Anyone got advice on going heavy duty on an sh9 xtp or should I stick with OEM. Does going HD mean a heavier clutch pedal activation and not fun for daily driving duties?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:49 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

"HD clutch" usually means a slightly stronger diaphram spring. (More clamp force on clutch.) They usually have a stamped steel clutch cover like OEM, which may be painted pink (or whatever colour the brand you pick is using as thier promo color) The stronger spring will usually result in a heavier pedal.

Most stage 1 HD clutch kits have an organic friction compound alot like an OEM material. (Might be slightly different mixture. And might even be a re-branded friction material aswell. Alot of clutch makers buy thier friction material from a major manufacturer like Exedy/daiken or Sachs etc, then put together the rest of the kit. The driven plates are usually sprung alot like an OEM one. This alows some give/flex in the plate as the clutch engages etc.

Because they use an organic friction material, on a sprung driven plate, the clutch will behave and drive for the most part like an OEM clutch with a slightly heavier pedal.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm 

Cheers Bram. Great info as always. I have a couple of weeks in QLD for work so I will try and work out my way ahead. No doubt I will fix this and the engine bay will let me know who is boss. Lol.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]