Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rattles and Squeaks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP Forester

Alrighty lads, I've got a few rattles and squeaks coming from the rear cargo section inside the car. The squeaky noises start over the smallest of bumps are high pitched like two surfaces rubbing together. They drive me mad!

Where are the obvious places to look first? The polystyrene in the boot?

Who's had similar squeaks and rattles in the rear of their car and tracked them down?

Post subject: Re: Rattles and Squeaks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:05 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Is the threaded piece holding the spare tire down nice and tight?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

The rattle could be coming from the tailgate as sometime it is where the lock mechanism comes in contact with the catch. Try wrapping some electrical tape around the metal 'loop' and see if that stops it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:55 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

The SH has a notorious rattle from the reclining latch for the rear seats. If you lay the seats down and check if the bracket attached to the body is loose. This had happened to our 2nd SH and friends as well.
Another rattle is where the retractable roof seat belt is stored. The two clips can make contact when in storage and produce an annoying rattle.
I have a list of rattles which I'm still trying to hunt down and isolate in my car. After a six hour drive its best to avoid me as I am usually on the verge of having a meltdown from the constant rattling and creaking.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:42 pm 

Vehicle: 2011 S-edition

I had a simliar issue and it nearly drove me to drive it off a cliff.

It was the rear windshield wiper rubber boot rubbing on the glass panel (had slipped off somehow). Like where the motor comes out to reach the arm of the wiper.

But it sounds like theres plenty to check

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Tobyo wrote:
The SH has a notorious rattle from the reclining latch for the rear seats. If you lay the seats down and check if the bracket attached to the body is loose. This had happened to our 2nd SH and friends as well.
Another rattle is where the retractable roof seat belt is stored. The two clips can make contact when in storage and produce an annoying rattle.
I have a list of rattles which I'm still trying to hunt down and isolate in my car. After a six hour drive its best to avoid me as I am usually on the verge of having a meltdown from the constant rattling and creaking.

My Sound Technician aka The Audiologist aka The Wife, hates the SH Rattles and Squeaks.
She habitually sees another SH and asks 'Has it got rattles?"

Ptfff! I can't hear most (Profoundly deaf!) but that retractable roof seat belt, I can hear that bugger! Must be loud.

I have Dynamatted extensively and The Audiologist still complains! What next?

Thanks for the declared Rattles and Squeaks so far, there is 'quite' a list! Pun intended!

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY11

Add cargo blind and any child seat restraints to the list. I put rubber around my child seat anchor points to solve one squeak. My cargo blind has to be in just the right position to stop another. Anything loose in the storage around the spare tyre is bound to squeak against the polystyrene, not sure where Subaru's excellent designers went that day and left it to the relief staff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:32 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Arrr yes cargo blind. Removed that cargo blind to eliminate that bugger! Put cargo blind back as it is useful.

What else!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:48 am 

Vehicle: 15 Forester XT

I had a very similar problem on my 15 foz, turned out to be the door seals squeaking, used some leather cleaner on them all and pretty much fixed the problem imediately.. Hope it helps..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:08 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

I am so glad to see that I am not alone.

I have a squeak going over speed humps, I am suspecting the bushes on the anti sway bars may need re-lubing. I have the whiteline front and rear heavy duty.

It has been a little worse since driving on dirt roads. Does anyone know whether there is a way to clean/lube the underside of a Foz?

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next