Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: SH Budget Rumble
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium Silver

A while back I swapped the cat back stock exhaust with one from a 2011 WRX.
That was a step in the right direction and the drone was OK, but had to stomp on it a bit to get a half decent sound...

Last weekend I was installing a towbar and on an impulse buy bought a pair of VEOnline diff back exhausts - basically looks like the hotdog I had on my 72 Capri as a kid. The quality is OK for $250 - welds are a bit ugly but you don't really see them. I've been living with them for a couple of weeks now and thought I'd do a quick write-up.

They are pretty loud (but not too obnoxious). Hardly any drone and a nice deeep rumble - as good as any I've heard on other subies with custom exhausts. These are hanging on slightly longer kartboy hangers so don't vibrate against the bumper either.

Below are some pics...

The last pic shows the original WRX mufflers. While I definitely prefer the look of the WRX exhaust tips, these new ones don't look so bad. And I'm regretting not keeping my stock mid-pipe as it would have been cool to compare the sound and volume. For $250 I'm happy how it sounds and looks though.

Cheers (n)

Post subject: Re: SH Budget Rumble
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:29 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

They look alright but the WRX mufflers sit nicer IMO.

I'm contemplating going with some WRX mufflers myself. Did you use the WRX mid + mufflers or just the mufflers? I'll probably keep the stock mid, throw a set of WRX mufflers on and I have a TurboXS catted downpipe ready to go as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP

is that red lining around the bumper valence stock? mine doesnt have that and i would like to get that sorted :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

esir wrote:
is that red lining around the bumper valence stock? mine doesnt have that and i would like to get that sorted :D

Make sure you get a re-tune after adding a red racing stripe! You wouldn't want the ECU to fail to account for the extra power.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

If that is the V1.3 race stripe from Supercheap, I dont believe they need a reflash. It was the earlier models which caused problems when used in conjunction with Dot4 wiper fluid. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:49 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Yeah but the V1.3 race stripe from Supercheap plus any stickers on the car can still cause issues with the tune, depending on the size, number and awesomeness of the stickers.

I wouldn't take the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:08 pm 

JamesMR_ wrote:
They look alright but the WRX mufflers sit nicer IMO.

I'm contemplating going with some WRX mufflers myself. Did you use the WRX mid + mufflers or just the mufflers? I'll probably keep the stock mid, throw a set of WRX mufflers on and I have a TurboXS catted downpipe ready to go as well.

Yep - I agree that the WRX tips look better... but I don't look at the back of my car often... but do hear it all the time :)
And I still have the wrx mid there. The WRX mufflers definitely made a difference compared to stock, but they were still reasonably quiet.

Edit - also my last car was 60s musclecar running headers and not much else so loud is relative.

Last edited by napes on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:10 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
If that is the V1.3 race stripe from Supercheap, I dont believe they need a reflash. It was the earlier models which caused problems when used in conjunction with Dot4 wiper fluid. :dontknow:

Supercheap PFFFT! From Autobarn... and version 2.6 - basically the same as having twin turbo :o

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Sorry, my bad..
Yeah, I’ve heard about the genuine Autobahn ones. Apparently they have as much kick to them as the turbo exhaust whistle. Some people where known to fit two whistles which ended up with the dreaded rod knock. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:51 pm 

If you put you rod where your turbo whistles go then it would knock you around a bit for sure!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next