Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: MY09 Takata passenger airbag failure recall
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:08 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

nomads64 wrote:

Two issues you need to consider, yes, there are two:
1) The imminent exploding air-bag due to corrosion and moisture.
2) The shrapnel that can sever arteries.

Or the combination of both ! Good luck, wear a helmet with neck protection until then !

"Imminent exploding airbag?" You know that only 1 person has ever died in this country from this so called "common deadly fault?" If you read my comments on the previuos page you will see how statistically unlikely this event actually is.

Lets recap.

More people die in this country every year from "freak lightning strikes" than have ever died in this country from airbags.

More people have won 1st division lotto than have died from faulty airbags.

The common flu kills more people than faulty airbags.

Falling coconuts kill more people than faulty airbags.

Car crashs kill more people than faulty airbags.

Do i need to go on? This "deadly airbag lie" has been beat up so much by the media, and swallowed by so many ignorant people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:24 pm 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

We tend to agree a lot.

Correct - It was the guy who had his arterial severed when the bag went off, which only addresses one of the faults.

However, the second issue is around the corrosion of the parts in the air bag. The information I have seen states that it takes about 6 years to corrode, once corroded enough, bang ! these are the imminent ones.... It really depends on how old you car is and how exposed it is to moisture. i.e where is is parked, where you are located etc. These are the unknown ones.

An exploding airbag while you are driving can not be good.

It is up to the informed person to weigh up the risks and take action. It is a low probability, it is important that people understand the risks and assess the mitigation as appropriate.

The main problem here, is that not all of the information is readily available. Most people know of the recall, but not the specifics to make an educated decision.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Headers & Up-pipe Lava wrapped, Large TMIC, GFB BPV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x inj, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm 

Vehicle: 98 N/A 5MT Foz - 82 BMW E28

Whilst i was a tech at BMW, over the 3 years I was there whilst they were recalled. We detonated over 200 bags in that time, possibly 300. Not a single bag faulted or let out shrapnel.

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Black

Had mine done today No dramas. Even gave me a loan car was quite pleased with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT -Black

Got a letter today from subaru confirming the replacement device installed under the airbag recall performed on my car in December is not manufactured by takata and is more stable won't corrode etc etc etc. But this has certainly been blown (s use pun) out of proportion. "Imminent explosion" lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

71Foz wrote:
Got a letter today from subaru confirming the replacement device installed under the airbag recall performed on my car in December is not manufactured by takata and is more stable won't corrode etc etc etc. But this has certainly been blown (s use pun) out of proportion. "Imminent explosion" lol.

Same here in today's mail.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:00 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT

Got same letter yesterday

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Bram wrote:
nomads64 wrote:

Two issues you need to consider, yes, there are two:
1) The imminent exploding air-bag due to corrosion and moisture.
2) The shrapnel that can sever arteries.

Or the combination of both ! Good luck, wear a helmet with neck protection until then !

"Imminent exploding airbag?" You know that only 1 person has ever died in this country from this so called "common deadly fault?" If you read my comments on the previuos page you will see how statistically unlikely this event actually is.

Lets recap.

More people die in this country every year from "freak lightning strikes" than have ever died in this country from airbags.

More people have won 1st division lotto than have died from faulty airbags.

The common flu kills more people than faulty airbags.

Falling coconuts kill more people than faulty airbags.

Car crashs kill more people than faulty airbags.

Do i need to go on? This "deadly airbag lie" has been beat up so much by the media, and swallowed by so many ignorant people.

Review of Brams Recap: I think Bram is giving our media a hit. Rightly so, they can't be trusted.

But Airbags are an additional safety device, the idea I believe is they prevent serious injury not cause serious injury. Yes Airbags will hurt you when they smack you.

Airbags are not optional equipment, so saying 'please can I have my Subaru 'bagless' like my Dyson', will not get you anywhere.

I feel all your examples Bram fall into the risk/benefit of doing life. I did not choose to put myself or family or others at risk 'however low that might be' because of the Takata passenger airbag potential to failure. Takata are people too and got it wrong. I am pleased the media have placed the spotlight on this and we are better off for it even if they have over done it, maybe.

Ozfozzers give us some comparable examples to this notable Takata Airbag recall, say versus additional safety devices in our cars that have been recalled due to a possible death risk?

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:34 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT SWP

I rang Subaru on their Air Bag hotline and gave my details. The chap told me that Subaru needed to carry out (on my VIN at least) the passenger airbag and the puddle lamps.

I Googled this and its common in the US but not here. The recall is documented back as far as 2013.

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/03/sub ... le-puddle/
Quote:
Summary:
Subaru is recalling certain model year 2010 and 2011 Legacy and Outback vehicles, certain model year 2006 through 2012 Tribeca vehicles sold before January 2012, and certain model year 2009 through 2012 Forester vehicles sold before January 2012. These vehicles may have been equipped with accessory puddle lights that, when illuminated, brighten the area under the doors of the vehicle. A short circuit can develop when either the puddle light or connector are exposed to an electrolytic moisture source (such as road spray that has road salt in it) and it penetrates the circuit board of the puddle light or the pins of the puddle light connector(s).

Consequence:
Over time, migration of the moisture into the circuit board and/or into the connector cavity, may result in a short circuit of the puddle light system. This may generate heat which may melt the plastic resulting in smoke or fire.

Remedy:
Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will install an additional fused-harness, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin during February 2013. Owners may contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783 for more information.

So, heads up, you may be making another trip to the dealer.

Edit: If you've purchased puddle lamps from the accessory store, these will be replaced. The lamps were not factory fitted. I assumed the red lamps at the button of the front door were these lamps, i was wrong.

Last edited by craig_ on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:34 pm 

Vehicle: 2010 Forester Diesel

I sent my details last December. Still waiting for the replacement date...

2010 Frosty
2" lift, Snorkel, no EGR or DPF, 235/60/17, bashplate, sidesteps, rear wheel carrier, Aldi roofrack, tray and awning

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 9   [ 89 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next