Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 11   [ 102 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's running a VF46?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:49 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT Dark Grey

I'm now running a VF46. With 3 port, silicone intake and Invidia TBE making 172kw on MSR tune/dyno.

The difference is night and day between midrange response. Car pulls much stronger though the rev range, where as before with TD04 it would be out of puff, the VF46 seems to be much smoother in the delivery and pulls all the way to redline.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:03 pm 

I Say: Hitting the Apex!
Vehicle: '11 FXT+'14 GLA45+'15 WRX

twisties wrote:
That's an impressive number considering the turbo size, what would it be making on 98?

98 tune would be around 185Kw
The VD peak power number is not a 'huge' number but the fact it comes in early and holds to redline is what makes it much quicker. Owners clutch has since been identified as having a mild bit of clutch slip since tune so Virtual Dyno may have seen a small influence(clutch slip lets engine rev faster which inflates VD figures) although on E85 the dyno figure could be influenced as well. Mainline dyno reported 850Nm@2800rpm in 4th gear seems to love frying clutches :roll:
The VF46+E85 tuned 150+Kw@wheels exhibit, is what makes them an animal off the line though. Adelaide LGT on flex fuel is quicker than a 240Kw STi until well past the legal speed limits.

Had an 08 TBSTi LGT 5 speed Auto with stock VF46 turbo, Dump and 3 Port make 164Kw on a Mainline dyno running 98 in December, 17psi@2700rpm on the torque converter really had it rocketing away and tapering to 13.2psi by redline. Owner lives in Glenn Innes so will be doing a flex fuel tune in a few weeks :)

Throttlehappy Tuning

Upcoming Travel Dates
June 30th - July 3rd: Taree, Newcastle, Gosford(30th-1st), Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Canberra(2nd-3rd)
July 6th -13th: Sydney, Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Brisbane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:36 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

throttlehappy wrote:
twisties wrote:
That's an impressive number considering the turbo size, what would it be making on 98?

98 tune would be around 185Kw
The VD peak power number is not a 'huge' number but the fact it comes in early and holds to redline is what makes it much quicker. Owners clutch has since been identified as having a mild bit of clutch slip since tune so Virtual Dyno may have seen a small influence(clutch slip lets engine rev faster which inflates VD figures) although on E85 the dyno figure could be influenced as well. Mainline dyno reported 850Nm@2800rpm in 4th gear seems to love frying clutches :roll:
The VF46+E85 tuned 150+Kw@wheels exhibit, is what makes them an animal off the line though. Adelaide LGT on flex fuel is quicker than a 240Kw STi until well past the legal speed limits.

Had an 08 TBSTi LGT 5 speed Auto with stock VF46 turbo, Dump and 3 Port make 164Kw on a Mainline dyno running 98 in December, 17psi@2700rpm on the torque converter really had it rocketing away and tapering to 13.2psi by redline. Owner lives in Glenn Innes so will be doing a flex fuel tune in a few weeks :)

Cheers TH

Just when I was starting to feel a bit down about my auto gearbox and "mere" 155kw (in the peak power p!ssing contest) you post this set of comments about real-world "area under the torque curve" performance and torque-converter slingshot launches. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT

Hey everyone.

I have a 2010 XT auto with a vf46, 3 port grimm speed EBC, AVO dump and WRX/STI catback.

Have bought new silicone inlet, SFB and Throttle body piping in anticipation for a "final" upgrade to e85.

So I need to suss my fuel pump and injectors for the next stage. I am currently thinking that the DW65C would work for the fuel pump (https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/dw6 ... 04-09.html)

and maybe the ID1050X PNP injectors (https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/id1 ... ti-2001-16)

Firstly, as an idiot check. Are these going to fit my car?
Secondly, is this a good configuration? I am pretty certain the pump is one of the only direct fits out there other than the DW300C and I would like to not have to stuff around to make it fit. Injectors I am pretty sure these are a good size but again just want to make sure before I commit.

Finally, anything else I should consider adding for this setup? I am planning on doing some heat wrapping of the dump and chucking on a turbo blanket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Hi rossg,
I have a VF46 too.
Doing much the same but will run 98 RON.
Kobe MS is a vendor on here, check his fuel pumps out.

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:35 pm 

I have a different set of injectors and different fuel pump (but have the VF46 and E85).

Your flow volumes for the pump and injectors look about right to me.

---

If you don't already have it, perhaps look seriously at using two catch cans (one for crank gasses, one for valve cover breathers). E85 brings a LOT of water vapour into your block and it will come out again (along with oil-based nasties) into your pre-turbo pipe from both of those sources.

The catch cans help collect and drain off SOME of that material on its way to your pre-turbo pipe.

---

Also, make sure you're using an E85 compatible oil. I use Penrite Enviro+ GF5 5w30 full synthetic oil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:38 pm 

Vehicle: 2011 XTP

rossg wrote:
Hey everyone.

I have a 2010 XT auto with a vf46, 3 port grimm speed EBC, AVO dump and WRX/STI catback.

Have bought new silicone inlet, SFB and Throttle body piping in anticipation for a "final" upgrade to e85.

So I need to suss my fuel pump and injectors for the next stage. I am currently thinking that the DW65C would work for the fuel pump (https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/dw6 ... 04-09.html)

and maybe the ID1050X PNP injectors (https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/id1 ... ti-2001-16)

Firstly, as an idiot check. Are these going to fit my car?
Secondly, is this a good configuration? I am pretty certain the pump is one of the only direct fits out there other than the DW300C and I would like to not have to stuff around to make it fit. Injectors I am pretty sure these are a good size but again just want to make sure before I commit.

Finally, anything else I should consider adding for this setup? I am planning on doing some heat wrapping of the dump and chucking on a turbo blanket.

DW300C fuel pump, plugs straight in. No need for upgraded injectors stock with be fine. Your current limit factor will be the AT.
I have gone this (E85) route with Vf46 ect ect after tuner's advice (TH). Been running this setup coming up to 2 yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:01 pm 

Speaking of the Auto Transmission, perhaps:-

(a) get a "pan off" service to check the state of it;

(b) get an appropriate size fluid-to-air ATF cooler on it;

(c) ask the tranny place how much a rebuild costs (and check prices on 2nd hand auto gearboxes).

If anything the above might inspire a sense of maturity when tempted to do hard launches. Ask me how I know :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:37 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT

Yowie wrote:
Speaking of the Auto Transmission, perhaps:-

(a) get a "pan off" service to check the state of it;

(b) get an appropriate size fluid-to-air ATF cooler on it;

(c) ask the tranny place how much a rebuild costs (and check prices on 2nd hand auto gearboxes).

If anything the above might inspire a sense of maturity when tempted to do hard launches. Ask me how I know :oops:

And when you say hard launches... How hard are we talking??

Also does anyone have any issues running the DW300c and getting fuel to all injectors?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:50 pm 

Quote:
And when you say hard launches... How hard are we talking??

as in "putting it in sport mode, stomping on the accelerator and having the auto box, traction control, pre-redline shift etc take care of launching the car and changing gears"

Now I tend to go easier on the throttle in first gear and manually change gears with "sportshift" - usually short-shifting on account of the efficiency of the VF46 being finished pre-redline and most other traffic being in the rear-view mirror anyway.

My new style is likely to be a slower launch according to a stopwatch but still feels very fast and must be a lot easier on the whole drivetrain.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 11   [ 102 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next