Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Bought a stock 2011 XT manual, ideas for suggested mods?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:44 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 XT Steel Silver

Sorry if this has been posted before. Just looking to create a single thread with various mods that you guys have done. If one has already been done please link it

Hey guys, bought a 2011 XT manual earlier this year and just haven't had the time or money to modify. Times have changed now so I'm just wondering what you guys can recommend and have done in the past.

So far I've got:
- GFB TMS BOV
- Custom 3" turbo back anodised steel exhaust
- Leather seats and door cards from a wrecked premium
- RDA slotted rotors and EBC red stuff pads
- HEL braided lines
- Plastidip black stock wheels
- Kenwood DMX7017bts headunit

Interested in:
- Chiptorque ezyflash tune. Has anyone done this? I'd like to increase the performance without bolt ons at this current time. Definitely in the future maybe a VF52 or E85.
- Lowered suspension. Maybe Pedders XA, BC BR or maybe MCA Blue. I drive out to the mines a lot so comfort is key, but lowered at least 2" would be awesome as well.
- I've heard great things about whiteline swaybars. 22mm RSB plus endlinks? (not sure which brand)
- Kartboy short shifter kit and bushings.
- New tyres once these wear out a bit more. Thinking Potenza RE003? What else are good grip/occasional wet weather tyres you guys use?

If you guys have any other suggestions or feedback that would be awesome and much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Bought a stock 2011 XT manual, ideas for suggested mods?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:33 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Suggested mods - depends on your budget and what you want from the car :) You have made a good start!

I suggest you start by going to the Forester Gallery and checking out what people have done. Some like loud exhaust, some don’t. Some want very firm suspension, some don’t etc. Part of the fun of modding a car is learning and making it your own. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Welcome to the fun!

Pretty keen to see a picture of the Wheels in Plastidip!
I am heading down that path soon for both sh9's I have here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:52 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

I agree with Jonp.
Have a look through the gallery section and see what some of the other guys have done.
Everyone has their own journey based on what they want to achieve (and how fat their wallet is)

You will slowly learn what are the quick bang for bite upgrades and and what you need to save a birthday or two for.

Either way, its a great car to play with and plenty of interchangeable parts from other subi cars :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:52 pm 

I Say: I JUST WANT QUICKER SPOOL UP WITH MORE TOP END
Vehicle: MY09 SH Forester XT Premium

In my opinion and if I was starting from scratch.
I'd get stock Gen5 Liberty GT front and rear brakes. $500 at a wrecker. Huge difference! Bolts straight on. Don't worry about Master cylinder changes. It doesn't do anything for brake performance just peddle feel.

Tune and Thick sway bars to minimise body roll.

That should wake the car up with power, handling and braking.

Later on you can get the TD04 modded for more efficiency to maintain a responsive engine around the city, or go for a vf52 which will bolt straight on or a vf30-vf34 but they are a hose fitting flange rather than the factory bolt on flange.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:58 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

FOZVF34 wrote:

Later on you can get the TD04 modded for more efficiency to maintain a responsive engine around the city, or go for a vf52 which will bolt straight on or a vf30-vf34 but they are a hose fitting flange rather than the factory bolt on flange.

Personally I wouldn't mess around modding the TD04. It's still a "too small" turbo to get decent bang-for-buck.

If you like low-end response but want more power to higher in the rev range, check out the VF46 as an inexpensive bolt-on option from a Liberty GT.

In my experience - 150ish kw on petrol and 180kw on e85 (through a 4-speed auto) with the power-hit coming in from 2000 revs. See the dyno charts on page 1 of my build thread.

Comparative VF52 dyno charts have about the same midrange but kick-in later and pull harder to higher in the rev range - so it depends what you want.

Personally, I like the responsiveness for a road car.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:24 am 

I Say: I JUST WANT QUICKER SPOOL UP WITH MORE TOP END
Vehicle: MY09 SH Forester XT Premium

Yep. What he said ☝️

Internally Stock EJ255, VF34 Turbo, internal fuel pump, Hyper-flow TMIC, Full set of lightweight under drive GFB pullys, 3" TBE, GFB recirc valve, GrimmSpeed AOS, Baffled Catch Can, CAI, MAF Pipe, Turbo intake Pipe, Turbo blanket, Auto Trans-cooler, ECUTEK tune, F & R Gen5 GT brakes, SS lines, master cylinder brace.. (Power? No idea, it's fun though)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:26 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT

Agree with Yowie, VF46 is a fantastic and inexpensive upgrade for a daily :-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:43 pm 

Vehicle: 2008 MY09 F XTP

Get a E-Tune done, even with a TD04 its pretty zippy after a tune. Feels like a different car. Its worth doing if you don't see yourself putting on a bigger turbo in the near future.

I recently put on a whiteline rear sway bar with new whiteline adjustable endlinks.
At first I didn't think much of it, and thought I wasted my money but as I drove the car more, it did make a noticeable difference. I suggest throwing the car through some corners right before you put the bigger bar on.

Can't say anything about lowered suspension, I havn't lowered mine. But if you are planning on lowering, I would probably do that before the rear sway bar as lowering will remove some bodyroll anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:21 pm 

I Say: 212Kw... im just getting started.
Vehicle: MY12 XT - Pearl White

I would look at what you want out of your car. and whether you want to do it in one hit or in stages.
me personally, i did mine in stages, not quite like this... but if i had a chance to do it again, it would be like this: guarantee +200Kw (for a manual)

Stage 1 (great sound - gets and keeps you interested) budget for $2300
Catted Dump-Pipe - catback exhaust - yes two cats, that is because your car originally came with two and yes if you want to comply with laws it has to stay the same.
Short Shifter - it just makes the sporty racey experience just sooooo much better. BTW a short shifter doesnt kill transmissions - crappy drivers do :lol:
these mods will have a minimum if not no impact on your ECU and engine - at this stage.

Stage 2 (getting ready for the increase of power) budget for $1500 - $2500
Sway bars - back first, front later or both
Suspension - coil over or springs - what ever

Stage 3 which i wish i had have done prior - (once again preparing for the increase of power) budget for $3000 - $5000
Wheels Breaks Tyres with more power means you need to grip and stop quicker/better

Stage 4 (the expensive yet super fun stage) budget for $5-6000
If you are tuning - well if you want to do this you will have to get a tune to see any performance result and not damage to your engine.
Turbo – VF52 (because i can fart better than what the TD04 puts out) it bolts right on.. sort of
Intercooler - if you can do it, look at a front mount. top mount - yes less lag but warmer air. front mount more lag but cooler air.
Cold Air Inlet System - meh small gains whatever, im a fan of the woosh.. secretly 8-)

Flash ECU and get a reputable tuner to load maps - don't do it yourself.. well if you want to see what a piston looks like when you ram it out of the side of your car :thumbs: the benefit of having a professional do it is... well for one they have professional experience, know way more than you... and secondly if anything goes a miss you have someone physical you can call talk too... or grab violently :twisted: hah hah. but most importantly you can learn from them.

yeah you can email your engine data and get maps from some dude munching on breakfast burritos and sucking down bolt cola all day long in his mothers garage while picking zits and trolling car tuner forums... lol going on a tangent... back on track.. i just think its better to be able to chat face to face and have that trusting relationship with the tuner... another plus, professional tuners from a shop usually have a dyno. If you don live near a place that tunes, well look for a reuptable place as close a possible, call and email ect. just put a face to the name is what im saying.

Stage 4 is very important, you can just get the bits and install them and drive around on low boost sure, but if you put too much boost in and your ECU cannot deal with it, you will wreck your engine. All the parts here will affect the ECU to a high degree.

IMPO loose the BOV and get another recirc valve, yes there are lots of conjecture as to whether they are good for the engine... well i will just say this the BOV sits past your MAF and that reads how much air your engine is getting and ECU adjusts accordingly. you mess with that and you mess with the engine, Yes it might only be for a very short period and yes its only when you car is not on load, but hey how many rpms in a second??? quite a few.. and put that over time.... just food for thought. If you were running mega boost with massive psi well BOV would be an essential addition i guess but not when you are running with 12-16 psi. oh and they are illegal in australia.. all of australia, all it takes is for you to bust out a little pop off in front of a cop car and yeah your fun day just turned bad all because of a $300 mod... even that $300 for a valve that pops open and closes... would rather put that to better breaks or you could even get a decent second hand intercooler for that.

sorry for the rant... Just my thoughts on the matter :drinks:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]