Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: New turbo supporting mods?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:46 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT

In early April I will be looking to replace the turbo from stock to a vf34, and get a tune along with it. The car is my daily and averages ~500ks per week, so it still needs to be reasonably safe. At the same time I will likely be changing the inlet hose to a silicon one as I've heard the stock ones die with age. I've also read here and there that the fuel pump and injectors should be changed as they can be limiting.

My question is, should this be necessary on a stock engine? What other supporting mods do you recommend and why?

Cheers for any input :D

Post subject: Re: New turbo supporting mods?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:45 pm 

I Say: Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot! Sorry son, you can't do both!! :D
Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury AT, white

G’day,

Lots can be said, to answer your questions ... here’s a start.

Fuel pump = yes, definitely ... may as well change the fuel filter while you’re at it.

Fuel injectors: it will take you quite a while before you max-out the injectors, but it will be necessary if things go beyond about a moderate level. It’s really only the 565cc STi injectors in the Subaru range that are any bigger, so after that, you’re in need of aftermarket injectors (parallel fuel rails, pressure regulator, etc).

As a daily driver, ya say!?
- 3-port boost control solenoid
- if you do get a silicone turbo inlet hose, get a steel reinforced one. Eg: Perrin ... expensive, but good. In fact, the OEM intakes collapse when the boost goes above a certain level ... and yes, they crack.
- a bigger TMIC with better aftermarket bypass valve. Note: you will need an STi bypass valve return hose, or add an extra section to the original hose to connect it, because the MY05 bypass valve faces differently to other Subies.
- while you’re installing the VF34, replace the up-pipe with a catless up-pipe (numerous options to choose from).
- at least get a better dump pipe, if not an entirely new exhaust ... not much point getting a bigger turbo, otherwise.
- while the TMIC is off, do the throttle body coolant bypass mod.
- while the TMIC is off, install an allow pitching control rod.
- better air intake.

You will absolutely need to get it retuned! You’ll happily run 16 to 18psi boost from the VF34 with this set-up.

Now ... upgrade the brakes.

Upgrade the suspension. Get the best tyres you can afford.

Good luck :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:23 am 

On an MY06, the stock bypass valve is the same part number as that years STI valve, so no real advantage in changing it. Injectors will be fine for a VF34, unless you plan to use E85 fuel. If you haven't done it already, when you get a tune make sure they delete the codes for the secondary air pump system, then block it off. I would talk to your tuner before fitting a 3 port boost control solenoid, while they do help to bring the turbo on boost a bit earlier, a VF34 on a 2.5 litre comes on pretty quick anyway, it's not like it's a big turbo with a high boost threshold. You wont need a catless up pipe, MY06 has this as standard. A bigger exhaust turbo back will definitely help.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 pm 

I Say: Mum, when I grow up, I want to be a pilot! Sorry son, you can't do both!! :D
Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury AT, white

*what’s his vehicle in the avatar: it’s not a MY06? Hence my comments, based on my MY05*

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:16 am 

How foolish of me, thinking that someone posting in the model specific 06-08 forum, who said they have a MY06, might actually have a MY06! A senile old man like me can't see the obvious differences between MY05 and MY06 in an avatar pic. Time for a glass of warm milk and a nap!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:56 pm 

Hi guys,

Cheers for the responses, and apologies for the slow response on my end. The foz in my dp was my first foz that I may have broken and sold for almost pocket money, then proceeded to miss to this day.

I currently drive an 05 MY06 (first of the my06). The car is currently fitted with all the basic suspension bits; mca greens, whiteline rsb + front and rear end links, wheels are everyones favourite xxr variety wrapped in a pretty fresh set of Michelin PS4s, and brakes are stock calipers with unknown pads sitting on DBA T2s all round. Engine wise, its got the Process West top mount, Mishimoto alloy rad, and GFB response Bov. The exhaust is all aftermarket other than the headers, made up of an unknown dump (havent bothered looking for brand, but is pretty big), xforce mid pipe, and an Sti axel back of some variety (pretty sure it isn't a foz one as fitment is questionable).

So as for the pre-turbo installation shopping list, I've currently got the following:
- PSR silicon turbo inlet
- DW200 fuel pump
- relevant turbo/manifold gaskets for the inevitable destruction of the existing ones
- possible 3 port
- possible CAI (dependant on funding)

Anything else?

It will defiantly be getting a post install tune asap too.

Allow pitching control rod = pitch stop mount?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:51 am 

I Say: Plan for tomorrow,Live for TODAY!
Vehicle: MY12 XT

The only additional (possibly future):
- Larger injectors - depending on what boost you are push and whether you go E85
- Headers - ceramic and wrapped.
- Up-pipe

You are pretty much maxed out with a tune with a rebuild.

VF-52 with Lava blanket, 11psi WG Spring, Company23 EBCS, 3" Mishimoto CAI, PSR Intake, Ceramic Headers & UP Lava wrapped, Ceramic DP, Large TMIC, GFB BOV, Grimmspeed AOS, 3" TBE, F&R Whiteline HD Anti-Sway bars, DW65C, ID1050x, Exedy HD Clutch, DBA F&R T3s - Pmu NS400S, Short shifter,Pitch Stop Mount, KiddoRacing 18psi Tune for E85(FF Shifting & Launch Ctrl)-220kw atw

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]