Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Discrete Dual Battery Setup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:58 am 

Vehicle: MY06 X - Forest Green

Gday,

I recently acquired an '06 SG9 X qfter my nissan navara 2.5 diesel was stolen. Always had a love for the soobs and this is my first.

After the navara was recovered I removed the batteries and sold for salvage, so now I have two decent size batteries kicking around.

Does anyone have experience or point me to resources for building a discrete dual or multiple battery setup so I can run electrics through the 12V sockets.

I've got some decks and speakers and would like to go bush raving in my soob. Would be awesome if I could run an inverter off the rear socket for a couple hours.

Cheers.

ps: by 'discrete' I mean it doesn't fill the boot with batteries, something under the hood would be awesome. I need to use the back seats frequently.

Post subject: Re: Discrete Dual Battery Setup
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP & MY06 RColt

What type of batteries are they?

If they are sealed you can lay them on their side which can expand mounting options - Eg, under a seat, in or under spare wheel, or if thin enough put 2x in place of the standard location with a customised tray if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:21 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Orfester wrote:
Gday,

I recently acquired an '06 SG9 X qfter my nissan navara 2.5 diesel was stolen. Always had a love for the soobs and this is my first.

After the navara was recovered I removed the batteries and sold for salvage, so now I have two decent size batteries kicking around.

Does anyone have experience or point me to resources for building a discrete dual or multiple battery setup so I can run electrics through the 12V sockets.

I've got some decks and speakers and would like to go bush raving in my soob. Would be awesome if I could run an inverter off the rear socket for a couple hours.

Cheers.

ps: by 'discrete' I mean it doesn't fill the boot with batteries, something under the hood would be awesome. I need to use the back seats frequently.

Underbonnet placement of a second battery in an SG is problematic - space and heat.

Anyway, some light reading for you:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=47673
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=43040
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51869
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55650

just to give you some ideas.

In my case (the first link) the battery I had on hand was a slimline AGM and would fit on side under the passenger seat, a space that is generally wasted (sound systems aside).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 X - Forest Green

zippo wrote:

Underbonnet placement of a second battery in an SG is problematic - space and heat.

Anyway, some light reading for you:

Thanks for the info, i'll have a read over. A quick peek under the bonnet suggested as you have, that it was problematic. I was hoping someone had blazed that trail.

skyrex wrote:
What type of batteries are they?

If they are sealed you can lay them on their side which can expand mounting options - Eg, under a seat, in or under spare wheel, or if thin enough put 2x in place of the standard location with a customised tray if needed.

They're lead acid (you know, usual car batteries) and while the housing is 'sealed' I don't think thats what you meant since they contain the usual warning 'Keep Upright' whihc suggetss laying them down could be bad for my carpet... and the floor pan... and the road underneath....

cheers

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]