Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Left front headlight not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT White

Hi everyone.
After some advice please, my left front low beam headlight stopped working tonight @ 6pm. :x
I have checked and found no power coming out of the small copper coloured terminals in the centre of the big grey plug which pushes onto the headlight.
Have checked to ensure a good the earth on the outer of the silver braided cable and it works. Did this by having the clamp end of my test light on the + battery terminal and touched the earth wire with probe.

The globe works fines as I swapped it with the driver side and it works .
have checked all the fuses, under the bonnet and inside the cabin and now I :dontknow: where to look next.

any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Left front headlight not working
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

HID? your pretty brave poking a test light onto the high voltage side of the ballast.

Id suggest if it is a HID setup to swap the ballasts from side to side and see if the problem stays on that side or goes to the other side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:55 pm 

Thanks for that.
Can you please tell me where the ballasts are located ?

Should I have to take off the front bumper, or front grille to remove the headlight unit ?

I have already taken out the battery to make the front left light easier to get to.Using well secured and insulated jumper leads to give the lights power.

Once again any advice is greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:42 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Crystal Gray

The HID ballast would be on the underside of the headlights. I'm pretty sure removal of front bar is required to get to them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:14 am 

I had a further look inside the left headlight. Found quite a bit of water in there.

Mainly pooled around where the wires go into the ballast. :roll:

Drained/sucked it out using some thing long tubing, into a empty plastic 2 litre milk bottle. The water removed filled up to where the bottom rung is. Hopefully it will dry out completely over next couple of days and come back to life.

Going to use my air compressor to give it a thorough drying 2mro. :idea:

If I have to remove the front bumper bar is it a complex job or just a bit fiddly at times :?:

Post subject: Draining HID lights- ballasts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:33 am 

Draining HID lights- ballasts.
I am relatively new to the forum, and would like some advice please.
Can anyone please advise how to drain water away from your HID light ballasts.
I found a fair bit in my left front headlight for low beam. I ended up using some thin tubing and a straw.

I am hoping this and heat of the engine will make it come back to life and work again.

Post subject: Re: Draining HID lights- ballasts
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:41 am 

Vehicle: SG9

When it happened to mine (all bulbs blew due to water damage, ballast soaked with water) i removed the headlights... opened them up and totally dried them out with a heat gun... then let them sit out for a day...replaced bulbs & resealed with sikaflex and it all worked... 3 months later, lights are still working fine but there still seems to be a small amount of moisture in the headlight
If you're going to open them up then resealing with the oem rubber butyl is recommended whether it be recycling your old stuff by reheating it or by buying new stuff... its on ebay... "butyl rubber"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:34 pm 

I Say: Mission: Kill the CEL
Vehicle: MY07 XT Silver

I removed the bumper to remove the headlight.
I haven't tried, but suspect with some wrelly flexible arms it would be possible to remove headlight with bumper still in place.

I too used a heat gun plus a few hours of summer sunlight to dry out my light & balast.
I didn't reseal the headlight, but left the rear cover off. I haven't had a recurrance in 6+ months, but then it hasn't rained a great deal either.
Definitely no river crossings with the rear cover off, but mines never doing there anyway :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Crystal Gray

It's not too hard to remove the front bar. The only thing to look out for would be the two screws (one on each side) holding the bar onto the front quarters.

Other than that, undo the clips up top, on the under tray and the front half of the guard liners.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:18 pm 

Are you able to re locate the ballast anywhere ;) near the headlight unit so it does not get affected by water ?
Does it have to be mounted underneath the headlight ?

Any advice or photo's of another person who have re-postioned their ballast unit would be appreciated.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next