Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: The Rumble Shack ECU Tuning info
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm 

I Say: R is for RACE!
Vehicle: '15 CWP 6mt Rex

The Lowdown on our ECU Tuning
by dazzz168 (This will be updated on a regular basis as needed)

I have put this together to answer some common questions and satisfy any curiosity one may have about getting their car tuned by us. It is also a good run down on what one would expect to experience during an ECU Tune from a customer’s point of view. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Tuning Price: For Ozfoz members just $450 per vehicle, road tuned. Dyno tunes will cost more (contact us for pricing). This covers the cost of tuning from start to finish with the modifications of the vehicle at time of tuning.

Pre Tune Check list:
* Vehicles MUST be fully insured and road registered, unless we are dyno or track tuning.
Ideally, the below should be done prior to getting a tune on your vehicle, so please do as many as possible:
- Fill it up on 98ron fuel only and NO OCTANE BOOSTER! I highly recommend BP Ultimate, but use what you would normally fill up with that is convenient for you.
- Have a clean air filter and give the MAF sensor a clean.
- Good Engine oil and filled up to normal levels. The newer the better, but as long as it is not broken down and/or at (or below) the low mark.
- Send me a full mods list that will be installed at the time of Tuning. I will request or recommend anything else needed.
- Contact me to book in a suitable date and time.

Requirements during the Tune:
Prior to commencement of Tuning, the vehicle will be checked over and driven in its current state (if possible) while being logged to make sure things are ok and performing as it should mechanically. We also install our external sensors to monitor Air fuel ratios during the tune.
- I drive the vehicle while you ride shotgun. I need to drive the vehicle in ways needed for me to be able to tune the vehicle properly, this is done in a safe manner. You will need to be in the vehicle with me at all times. No other passengers allowed.
- Enjoy having a chat and being my laptop mount :D

Things to do Post Tune:
- ALWAYS run the fuel it was tuned for.
- Give us your feedback and get back to us with any concerns swiftly.

That's all I can think of for now :-)

Next section FAQs

The Rumble Shack - Subaru Mechanical and Performance Workshop
Check our vendor section or Find us on Facebook!

ECU Tuning info! Click here for info

Post subject: Re: Rumble Shack ECU Tuning info
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm 

FAQs

Q: How long does it take to tune a vehicle?
A: Our tunes take a good few hours minimum to do as we are custom tuning your vehicle properly to suit your car, not just loading on a tune and hoping for the best. We check over all areas of the tune and make sure the car is running safely and optimally from start up to WOT. This takes time to do properly, and a quick drive around the block will not be enough unfortunately. So put aside a good half a day.

Q: Why can’t I drive my car during the tune, it’s my baby, my ol' girl, BAE etc…
A: We treat your car the same way we would treat our own cars, so rest assured that it will not be mistreated and you will be in the car too. The reason why we must to drive it is because we need to collect data from it a certain way to make it useful for the tuning process, and we need to be able to control and get a feel of the vehicle to ensure everything is performing and responding as it should be. From the passenger seat, a lot of the time, we would not be able to notice hesitations and other strange behavior. Once the tune is finalized, we will let you drive.

Q: How do you guys measure gain from road tuning a vehicle?
A: We use Virtual Dyno to measure gain and progress. Like a real dyno, it is merely a tool of the trade. We do baseline runs on your vehicle before commencement of the Tune if possible, then we would do a few runs on your final tune. By running both tunes on the same day in the same environments, we are able to provide a good representation of the gains. We do our best to keep things consistent and tend to have power readings on the conservative side. For cars that are not Virtual Dyno friendly, we have a few other tools on hand as well as measure time vs speed.

Q: Do the Tunes have warranty if something were to go wrong?
A: Unfortunately, we do not offer any warranty as we are pushing the vehicle beyond factory specifications and you will find that no workshop out there will offer you a warranty as such. In saying that though, we do our best to avoid any possible failures.

Q: Are Re-Tunes free if I add more modifications later on?
A: Unfortunately, we are not able to offer free retunes on additional modifications installed at a later date. However, the cost of a Re-Tune is much less than our initial charge and is worked out on a case by case basis depending on modification.

Q: Do I need to install a wideband sensor on my vehicle prior?
A: We ALWAYS use our own portable Wideband units during the entire Tuning process to monitor Air/Fuel Ratios which is absolutely mandatory. Tuning a vehicle without a wideband sensor is bad practice and dangerous for your motor. You can install a wideband sensor in your vehicle for your own monitoring though.

Q: Can you Dyno Tune my car?
A: We certainly can! Dyno tuning is available at extra cost. Contact us for more info and pricing.

Q: Dyno Tune vs Road Tune, which do you recommend?
A: It's a widely debated topic and always different schools of thought on the subject. In our opinion, with a road tune, not only are we able to dial in WOT (wide open throttle), but we are also able to focus on part throttle and cruise for maximum street drivability and response. Road tunes may not be able to rev out through the top gears, but we put in the appropriate measures to ensure it is safe should you drive in that range. With a dyno tune, most common ones are not able to properly replicate road conditions, which means cruise and part throttle gets minimum attention and usually the tuner focuses simply on WOT. In short, if your primary goal is drivability and not too worried about all out numbers, then a road tune is probably for you. If you are a numbers guy, get it dyno'd. In saying that though, our 'Dyno tunes are actually road tuned prior to hitting the dyno to ensure part throttle and cruise areas are properly dialed in. We then strap it to the dyno and Tune WOT through the different gears.

Q: Are you guys Intense Performance Tuning from Facebook?
A: Yes, I am (dazzz168). The Rumble Shack and Intense Performance Tuning work together.

Q: Why do your Tunes only cost $450 when other shops charge much more?
A: We believe we have competitively priced our ECU Tuning services and we only use open source software which does not cost the customer a licensing fee like other certain platforms. For the price of $450, we do not use dyno equipment, so that saving is passed onto the customer. In instances where a Dyno is requested, then our prices will be closer to other workshops, yet still competitive. Ultimately, when all factors before mentioned are taken into consideration, it is realistically good value.

To Be Cont...

Post subject: Re: Rumble Shack ECU Tuning info
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:42 pm 

Monitoring the Health of your vehicle.
This applies to all cars.

It is always a good idea to monitor the health of your cars by using a program such as Epifan Log Viewer or Romraider. These programs require a Tactrix (I will confirm if cheaper alternatives are compatible) to connect to the car's ECU and requires a bit of PC knowledge to get working. Here's a good read I made a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33310&hilit=+tuning

More Info on these programs here:
Romraider: http://www.romraider.com/RomRaider/Download
Log Viewer: http://www.epifansoft.com/logViewer-screenshots.html

Tactrix Openport info here: http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=53

The Parameters I prefer to log are as follows:

A/F Correction #1 (%)
A/F Learning #1 (%)
A/F Sensor #1 (AFR)
CL/OL Fueling* (status)
Coolant Temperature (C)
Engine Load (Calculated) (g/rev)
Engine Speed (rpm)
Feedback Knock Correction (1-byte)** (degrees)
Fine Learning Knock Correction (degrees)
Gear (Calculated)* (position)
IAM (multiplier)
Ignition Total Timing (degrees)
Injector Duty Cycle (%)
Intake Air Temperature (C)
Manifold Absolute Pressure (psi)
Manifold Relative Pressure (Corrected) (psi)
Mass Airflow (g/s)
Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage (V)
Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle (%)
Requested Torque* (raw ecu value)
Throttle Opening Angle (%)
Vehicle Speed (km/h)
Your Wideband Data

By logging the parameters above, I am able to checkup on a car's health. At certain times, I may ask for more parameters to be logged.

To be continued...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]