Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Head bolt torque procedure EJ251 non-turbo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 Forester

I am just about to torque the heads on my 11/2004 (MY05) non-turbo EJ251 Forester engine but am having difficulty finding out what is the correct procedure.

When I search the net & youtube I find the procedures are both different and also not the same as the 2004 Workshop Manual.

After the initial tightening procedure the manual says to first turn all the bolts 90 degrees. Then turn them all another 45 degrees. The final torque rotation is only for the two centre bolts of another 45 degrees. This means the two inner bolts are rotated 180 degrees and the four outer bolts 135 degrees.

The net or in other places it says two lots of 90 degrees. This gives all bolt rotations of 180 degree.

In another site I found it states to use three torque rotations but the total bolt rotation is still 180 degrees.

A non-genuine head bolt supplier recommends the 135 +180 as above degrees for turbo cars and 2 x 90 degree for non-turbo.

Which is correct?

Thanks. Peter

Post subject: Re: Head bolt torque procedure EJ251 non-turbo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

I'd suggest following the workshop manual.

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:29 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

JAK50N wrote:
I'd suggest following the workshop manual.

Maybe not such a good idea. These 2.5s were notorius for a leaking oil gallery going through the head gasket on the left head.
I dont know if there would be a revised gasket or revised torquing procedure after the FSM was vopied and made available online. Certainly worth investigating further, than just blindly following the FSM.

Also, i have found errors with the FSM in sections that i know are 100% wrong. So juat because it has subaru on it doesnt mean its gonna be right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:54 am 

Vehicle: MY05 Forester

Yes, there is a revised factory gasket which I think was released around 2008. I purchased the Subaru gasket and it has a different part number. The Subaru parts guy assured me it was a different gasket and that they have had no problems with the revised gasket.

Mine had just started to leak at the back left and as it was time to replace the timing belt plus the water pump was weeping a little, I took the engine out.

I have done a lot of research and it appears to me the rubber type compound on the original gasket was not resistant to the oil and it softened. I took the heads off about six weeks ago and noted that the rubber material around the leak could be easily rubbed off with my finger. Now after drying out a little, the rubber has hardened up.

The revised Subaru gasket is not an MLS type it just has a new coating. In regard to the aftermarket MLS gaskets I wasn't convinced they were the ultimate solution as some persons had them fail as well. I don't think that anyone knows what is best. Also, I asked one of the US suppliers if their MLS gasket was thicker and they said it was.

Another problem I came across was that I purchased an aftermarket set of head bolts and later found they hadn't been made properly. As such, I purchased a genuine Subaru set.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 am 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

Glad you added which head bolts you are using. I presumed previously you were using genuine, but you should follow the head bolt manufacturers process, which accounts for stretch bolts, etc.

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]