Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chewing through fuel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:43 am 

I Say: SUBNUB - be kind
Vehicle: MY05 XT LUX

Oh I understand that for sure skyrex. Not plannim on scrubbing it with a toothbrus or annything. Just a good old squirt of throttle body/electric cleaner. Only if it needa it of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:06 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP & MY06 RColt

:thumbs: TB cleaner not the best for them, I would sway more to electrical contact type cleaner which will have less chance of leaving a coating of any funky residue as it dries.
Does the car have a K&N or oil based filter?
Previous owner may have been a little overzealous on re-oiling it.
Even if it doesn't now you can usually tell if it has had lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:19 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

Stick with Electronic contact cleaner or the dedicated MAF cleaner, which is pretty expensive about $30 a can, a new genuine Subaru MAF will set you back about $170 but I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions yet, just get some accurate fuel usage firstly. Shortly after I got my Foz I sourced a new MAF thinking it would improve economy, ultimately it made no difference at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:54 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Silver

Its done 150 km i would be inclined to think a new O2 and maf senser could be worth doing.
Then followed by a reset of ecu.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:50 pm 

Do the 03-05 XT's really use 15.4l/100km around town as stated on carsales/redbook or is that an over exageration? Im considering getting into one soon but not if the fuel usage is gonna be that high. I had a 2009 xr5 and that would generally hover around 11l-12l per 100km for around town.

What are some owners on here getting city/peak hour driving? Im looking at manuals only btw.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:24 pm 

I also owned an Focus XR5 Turbo for 7 years, fantastic car, probably the best car I've owned, so I can tell you the XT will use more fuel, I used to get 10-11L/100 with the XR5, the XT 11-12L/100 so my guess is on average you will use and extra 1L/100, but I'm having more fun with the XT, if you can find 03-05 in mint condition, do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:55 am 

I Say: SUBNUB - be kind
Vehicle: MY05 XT LUX

I guess thats not terrible fuel econ.I mean, I used to own a 05 V6 auto Commodore and after a few mods it was sitting aroumd 16-17L/100km.
Think a tune on a stock rock XT is worth the dosh? Figured it might be helpful for optimising performance in general

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:15 pm 

I Say: subtle sooped-up subie stokes surprise!
Vehicle: MY06 built SG STI conversion

Put a better dump on it and get a catless up-pipe, and yeah, for sure.

Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/MrJasper/

housemusik wrote:
your undercarrage looks so tasty from the rear!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:10 pm 

Mattde wrote:
I guess thats not terrible fuel econ.I mean, I used to own a 05 V6 auto Commodore and after a few mods it was sitting aroumd 16-17L/100km.
Think a tune on a stock rock XT is worth the dosh? Figured it might be helpful for optimising performance in general

Realistically most of your economy is controlled by your right foot, but I think 04-05 XT are pretty de-tuned stock, my understanding essentially an STI motor of the day with different ecu, turbo, intercooler, exhaust and few other bits, but the point is a stage 1 tune by a recognised tuner at the least would be very safe and make the car what it should have been off the production line. I purchased my XT which already had the entry level MRT XA kit done by the previous owner, which consist of tune, axle back muffler and resonator removal, simple as that, but a nice upgrade on the stock, and that tune has been on the XT for 9 years now. A decent tuner can give you a little more, but maintain or even improve fuel economy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:10 pm 

Thanks for the info guys. Sneaky how many km you getting out of a tank in the xt? Do you do city driving? I used to get around 450km out of the xr5 city driving.

I also used to own an auto gt forester (2.0L as opposed to the XT having a 2.5L). Does anyone know if te fuel econ on this would be comparable to what an XT manual is or are the 2.0L more economical?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next