Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Side feed injectors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 am 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

carsubie wrote:
Try to relocate the ground terminal that bolts to the manifold. Needs to be on the engine block because phenolic spacers act as insulators and will cause ECU problems.

Yep. You could just run an earth to the passenger side of the manifold from the -ve battery terminal or from the body near the strut tower.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 pm 

Vehicle: MY04 XT Cayenne Red

I've check for continuity to ground on the manifold itself and it is good. I have also checked all grounds for continuity and they seem to be good too. It's getting fuel because the plugs are wet so I'm getting fuel. Having trouble checking for spark because my wife refuses to help out. Crank angle sensor is reading 2k ohms. So if it's a spark issue, where do I go from there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:26 pm 

I have tested resistance on the crank position sensor plug, one pin is 100ohms to ground, the other seems to be open loop. Does anyone have a pinout for the engine harness? Trying to see if it is a damaged wire causing a lack of spark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Crank angle sensor is a 2 wire reluctor. It should generate a AC signal when cranking visible with an osciloscope. I believe both wires go back directly to the ECU. And there may be a 3rd wire that is purely a shield wire which may or may not be common to the other ECU shield/ground wiring circuit.

Cam angle sensors on the 2.5L EJs are a 3 wire hall effect. They should have power (i believe 5v), ecu sensor ground, and signal. This can be checked with an LED testlight on the signal while cranking.

But i somehow doubt the Cam or crank wiring/sensors have just failed like that. Unless maybe you yanked on the wiring when pulling the manifold off to do the spacers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:22 pm 

Pulled the entire intake manifold, checked all plugs and pins on engine harness for continuity. No faults found. Re-taped the harness and refitted everything.

I'll wait for the replacement cam position sensors and crank position sensor to come and swap them out one by one and see if that fixes my issue. I don't have an oscilloscope and I'm usually on my own so testing while cranking is near impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

6appeal wrote:
Pulled the entire intake manifold, checked all plugs and pins on engine harness for continuity. No faults found. Re-taped the harness and refitted everything.

I'll wait for the replacement cam position sensors and crank position sensor to come and swap them out one by one and see if that fixes my issue. I don't have an oscilloscope and I'm usually on my own so testing while cranking is near impossible.

Testing while cranking is actually quite easy. Because the starter motor is on the engine, and easy enough to rig to go while your watching the test equipment with some scraps of cable etc.

But as I said earlier, i doubt its gonna be that. A trigger fault (crank/cam sensor) is most likely gonna stop fuel injection aswell as ignition. You said your spark plugs are wet. So i dont think its that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm 

Tested with known good cam position sensors and crank position sensor with no luck. I have checked the crank position plug resistance and get 115 ohms to ground on pin 2 and pin 1 stays open loop with key on ign. Shouldn't pin 1 be between 1 and 10 ohms?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 pm 

Checked timing marks and they all line up

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:29 am 

Don't know what it was but put it all back together and it fired into life 3rd try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 am 

I Say: I am a Subarist!
Vehicle: 06 JDM STi Foz

PITA to retrace your steps but worth it... :thumbs:
I am guessing a dud connection in wiring harness plugs.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 20 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2