Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Clutch Whistle - How much time???
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 pm 

I Say: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition WR Blue

Whilst on the East Coast last week I helped my daughter join the Foz family in an NA 2005 SG. 11 months rego, two new tyres, timing belt just done etc.
The only issue is that the clutch has a slight whistle when used - not much - barely audible. I'm assuming this is the thrust bearing starting to let go. Any ideas as to how long she has before she'll need to get it looked at and where the best Subi mechanic is around the Byron / Ballina area?

Thanks for any assistance!

Phat-GT - Perrin RSB - PW Verticooler - HKS ES Premium - AVO Castor Correction - Liberty Brakes - Pedders Springs

Post subject: Re: Clutch Whistle - How much time???
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:14 am 

Vehicle: SH

Its a hard thing to gauge, sort of how long is a piece of string. I'd probably start to worry when it becomes louder if it is only barely audible now.
You have to be careful not to let it go too long though, if the bearing seizes completely you risk damaging the gearbox snout requiring a new casing (usually a replacement gearbox is cheaper)

The other thing id be looking at is the difference in the tyres. If it has two new tyres on the front, and half worn on the rear, you don't want the difference to cause any harm to the centre diff.

sf502 wrote:
group buy on nipples?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 am 

Vehicle: 02 SF5 NA

Most likely the release bearing. I'd suggest doing it sooner rather than later, as I've had one fail without notice and it left my partner stranded in traffic.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:07 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Could also be the pivot of the fork. These can dry out and squeak aswell.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 am 

I Say: Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?
Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition WR Blue

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking if we have to get at the clutch then probably best to do the whole lot (clutch, flywheel, thrust bearing).
From what I have been told, as its got a High / Low ratio the thrust bearing is in a steel casing that if it does let go, will not cause collateral damage to surrounding components (ie gearbox).
I might just get her to monitor it for the time being and start saving!! (Car was only $3.9K anyway!)

Phat-GT - Perrin RSB - PW Verticooler - HKS ES Premium - AVO Castor Correction - Liberty Brakes - Pedders Springs

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]