Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Forum traffic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:25 am 

Vehicle: 98 SF5 limited, ej205

Yep it's a shame to see almost every car forum die down over the last few years. Back in the early 2000s they were all booming.... So many that you couldn't keep up with reading even 10% of it. Is it really just because of Facebook? I wonder what else is causing it.

Another thing I've been wondering- what happened to imported jap engines? 10 - 15 years ago they were all over the place if you googled it. Nissan sr20det, subi engines galore. Various different businesses listing all these containers full of engines they'd just brought over. I was looking the other day and couldn't find many places doing it anymore. What's going on? Am I just not looking properly?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:41 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

tomi_g wrote:

Another thing I've been wondering- what happened to imported jap engines? 10 - 15 years ago they were all over the place if you googled it. Nissan sr20det, subi engines galore. Various different businesses listing all these containers full of engines they'd just brought over. I was looking the other day and couldn't find many places doing it anymore. What's going on? Am I just not looking properly?

Might be the facebook thing again.

A lot of small businesses seem to either not have a normal website or are happy to let their normal website die on the vine in favour of putting up info on a facebook page.

As a non-facebooker it is very hard to find information and contact details on these businesses, noting the very loose connection between google searches and facebook page info.

Also, am i just looking wrong or is the quality of information on a business' facebook page pretty sh!thouse compared to what one might find on a normal website? Eg a scrambled mess of pictures of engines & parts collated "at some point in time" is not a substitute for information about what the business offers.

[/rant]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:54 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Tobyo wrote:
..........Though Im always curious why at 7:10am (Melbourne Time) every morning the site freezes up for five minutes.. every day.

Just a guess but the site not being available each day at the same time could be because of the daily 'happy birthday' post, or another daily batch job. This would require a read of the database and that could take up all processing power. Some database admin/tuning could reduce or remove the site unavailability. If this is the cause, the site unavailability is going to get longer as the database grows. I don't think the database can be reviewed as 'we have lost the keys' to some of the site administrator functions.

I am happy to help if someone has the access.

Regardless - this is a great forum and I really appreciate the help the Admins provide!! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:33 am 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

jonp wrote:
Tobyo wrote:
..........Though Im always curious why at 7:10am (Melbourne Time) every morning the site freezes up for five minutes.. every day.

Just a guess but the site not being available each day at the same time could be because of the daily 'happy birthday' post, or another daily batch job. This would require a read of the database and that could take up all processing power. Some database admin/tuning could reduce or remove the site unavailability. If this is the cause, the site unavailability is going to get longer as the database grows. I don't think the database can be reviewed as 'we have lost the keys' to some of the site administrator functions.

I am happy to help if someone has the access.

Regardless - this is a great forum and I really appreciate the help the Admins provide!! :)

Hey, don’t blame me for saying Happy Birthday! :evil:

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

We all thought you were being so nice in wishing people happy birthday. Now we know the real reason - you want to bring down the site! What other sinister things are you up to :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:38 pm 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

jonp wrote:
We all thought you were being so nice in wishing people happy birthday. Now we know the real reason - you want to bring down the site! What other sinister things are you up to :)

I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:10 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Just noticed then at 7:02am the birthday post was up and the site hadn’t frozen.
EDIT: I attempted to post this as 7:06am and it froze up :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5