Change font size

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 16   [ 153 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: 0-100kph times...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 am 

I Say: Hitting the Apex!
Vehicle: '11 FXT+'14 GLA45+'15 WRX

OK, so the recent thread got locked but since I had already organised it prior to the thread lock for my Sydney trip, two forum members(of seperate forums) and I went testing last week(Yes, prior to the DD weekend!) with an accelerometer to test the results... one of the owners of these vehicles happens to own an engineering firm and had access to some pretty cool equipment :drinks:

Ignore the power figures, ignore the controversy... ask the question from an engineering perspective on what is required to run 0-100kph in under 5 seconds.

One G force is roughly 9.2 metres per second per second as a few people would know
100kph ie 100,000 metres in every 3,6000 seconds which is 27.777*metres/second
To manage 0-100kph or 27.777*metres/sec in 1 second, you would require 3.1 G forces applied for exactly 1 second
THUS
An average of 0.602 G forces or more for 5 seconds will rocket into the sub 5 second sprint :)

An accelerometer measures acceleraion and deceleration(negative acceleration such as during a gearshift or also the decay in acceleration as torque drops off etc) which is what G Forces are. Hopefully some of you paid attention in High School Physics and know what I am referring to :)

Here is the cool bit... if you managed 2.1 G forces for 0.8 seconds on launch with a TD04 you are already over halfway there with 4.1 seconds to keep the average G forces high enough to break into the 4's. On a TD04, which makes most of its torque between 2000rpm and 4000rpm, allowing 1st gear to rev out results in 2nd gear missing out on the TD04's torque curve which is already falling away when 1st shifts at 6400rpm and hits mid end of the 2nd gear torque curve. But what if you could induce an early gear change under WOT in an auto?
http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160
I actually did the reverse of the above thread and by limiting first gear to say 4500rpm under WOT sprints and making the engine change into 2nd gear early, your dropping into the meat of the 2nd gear torque curve which offers the most acceleration on any TD04... the manual owners know how hard 2nd gear can sprint from 2000rpm up and it is this same feature that can be used to get the TD04 SH9 solidly into the 4's for the 0-100kph sprint.

Stock 2010 Gen5 Liberty GT with just a tune. No Per Gear Boost or Wastegate Control and a peak 14.7psi boost, just optimised gearshifts and earlier torque at owners request. Factory auto tune is in the high 6's, manual is in the mid 5's :)

In comparison to say an S Edition: Same gearbox and gear ratios, LGT weighs 50Kg more, but 6Nm and 2Kw extra in factory form. Suddenly the claims of S Editions doing similar times in stock form is no longer fantasy but there is video of that in motion right now ;)

Essentially... this thread will prove that a TD04 is capable of 0-100kph and have Colin98 haunting the dreams of innocent Parramatta Westfields shoppers for years to come.

Anyone want to question the maths/physics logic?

I already have the data, just want to ensure everyonebody understands it :)

Throttlehappy Tuning

Upcoming Travel Dates
June 30th - July 3rd: Taree, Newcastle, Gosford(30th-1st), Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Canberra(2nd-3rd)
July 6th -13th: Sydney, Townsville, Cairns, Mackay, Brisbane

Post subject: Re: 0-100kph times...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:20 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT 5MT

I'm still waiting to see the evidence that a stock SH XT, with just a tune, can do 0-100 km/h in under 5 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 am 

I Say: R is for RACE!
Vehicle: '15 CWP 6mt Rex

The above theory means SFA. Is it really that hard to do some logs??? Rofl!

I've seen the logs of one of your TD04 tunes... And even with flat foot shifting, it takes 4 secs to get to 60kmp/h, so I see another 2 secs minimum to get to 100.

The Rumble Shack - Subaru Mechanical and Performance Workshop
Check our vendor section or Find us on Facebook!

ECU Tuning info! Click here for info

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:52 am 

I Say: subtle sooped-up subie stokes surprise!
Vehicle: MY06 built SG STI conversion

Dyno slip or gtfo.

Unless you can find a non-believer to sit in a car logging Vehicle speed & time in RomRaider to verify your claims.

Mixcloud: https://www.mixcloud.com/MrJasper/

housemusik wrote:
your undercarrage looks so tasty from the rear!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am 

I Say: Look a rabbit!
Vehicle: VW R36 Wagon

So why are you talking about a liberty that doesn't come with a td04 as standard and a S edition which also does not have a td04? I'm really confused.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:30 am 

Go to http://www.060calculator.com

Type in 217kw / kerb weight 1470kg (stock SH), select 0-100. Hit calculate.

That 217kw is what a stock SH with a TD04 + tune would need to make at the flywheel to do a sub-5 sec.

/endthread

housemusik wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:51 am 

I Say: Who Needs Boost Anyway??
Vehicle: MY10 2.0D Premium

217kw at the flywheel isn't a huge amount?
150kw ATW from a 2.0 GT Forester (16psi) is pushing over 190 at the flywheel

Add in a 2.5 and the figure jumps easily plus a huge amount more torque for most of the rev range.

Those calculators are a mix of averages from turbo and NA cars, where the turbo will make more torque earlier and get the weight moving compared to the linear power and torque curve of the NA engines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:00 am 

Not a huge amount with mods, but we are talking about an un-modded car here. I see the examples you quote are modded, so they are moot.

Stock output on the EJ255 with a TD04 is 169kw at the fly. That's a 48kw difference needed, just with a tune.

housemusik wrote:

Last edited by itsjasper on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:28 am 

Vehicle: 98 GT SILVER

not sure how accurate the iphone app is but my Sti spec c ver 6 with mines chip and 21psi does 1 - 100 in 6 seconds (traction is the issue, 2nd gear 103kph) so thats a real world time as a guideline for you.
Im sure with full grip it could easily do mid 5s at best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbs:

gadgit7 wrote:
not sure how accurate the iphone app is but my Sti spec c ver 6 with mines chip and 21psi does 1 - 100 in 6 seconds (traction is the issue, 2nd gear 103kph) so thats a real world time as a guideline for you.
Im sure with full grip it could easily do mid 5s at best.

Once again, this is not an example with a stock Forester running a TD04.

But then again, this does show that if the cars running bigger turbos that can do more airflow and boost are only doing mid fives, what does that say about the claims of the smaller, less powerful TD04 on a stock motor?

housemusik wrote:

Forum lockedPost a reply Page 1 of 16   [ 153 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next