Change font size
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 36   [ 359 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: MY07 SG9 XT - Thinking of a engine rebuild, damn you HG
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .
Vehicle: MY04 XT

Your list sounds pretty good , arp 2000 will be fine for a vf 34 , I put stem seals in , got clearance reset , you’ve pretty much covered everything really ... I used genuine gaskets .
You might get awhile out of it yet .... mine was slow process , actually the gasket was still pretty good but blowing over from old stock head bolt stretch by the looks of it . Don’t forget rear main seal and possibly reseal the sump .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm 

Vehicle: 2007 XT

cam99 wrote:
Your list sounds pretty good , arp 2000 will be fine for a vf 34 , I put stem seals in , got clearance reset , you’ve pretty much covered everything really ... I used genuine gaskets .
You might get awhile out of it yet .... mine was slow process , actually the gasket was still pretty good but blowing over from old stock head bolt stretch by the looks of it . Don’t forget rear main seal and possibly reseal the sump .

Thanks mate, I will take note of changing the rear main seal, it's a good opportunity to change it while the engine is out. :thumbs:

I will more than likely get a full genuine gasket set and the sump will be re-sealed when the oil pickup (and maybe forged pistons) are fitted.

Did you fit forged pistons? If so, what are your thoughts?
Another option is to go for a STi shortblock and have a fresh bottom end. :dontknow:

Is the STi oil pump good insurance or not really worth it?

The head gasket is not bad yet, I wouldn't of known it was starting to go if I didn't check for bubbles in the overflow bottle. Hopefully it holds out for a while.

Should I attempt the rebuild myself??? :dontknow:
Will see what happens when the time comes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 pm 

I Say: You tell me Picasso - are you a s*** painter , or do just paint ugly f***** people .

No worries mate , of course it will vary but I got a bit over a year I think between first noticing strange things going on with the coolant and getting to the point of - it’s time to fix it - though don’t miss having to syringe the coolant back outta the overflow most mornings by the end

Reply 1/3 due to forum problem / or my phone

Last edited by cam99 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 pm 

Oh yeh of course if your pickup off etc the sump will be off , late sg prone to cracking I’ve heard so good call .
nah no forgies here , my sump was weeping a bit so that’s why I mentioned that ( there’s no gasket afiak)
Your plan with forged sounds good , I’ve done very well with the stock pistons but they are considered a weak point in the ring lands. The short block was very tempting but stretching the budget at the time and the price of second hand lower k wasn’t worth the gamble so mines just got the arp 2000 and put back together- at 260thou
Still going strong nearly another 50 thou later , so I would go yours with forgoes over a new bottom end unless you have the cash for both

Last edited by cam99 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:46 pm 

Wtf is going on with my reply lol typed a long one and it won’t post farrrk...
Mostly Saved via copy n paste -bits still missing though
Had this happen the other day to , typed a lengthy reply for someone and lost it all , anyway sorry whoever that was , carry on lol

Last edited by cam99 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:57 pm 

I’ve done head gaskets on ford sixes no probs but chickened out of doing the suby due to not confident with the stud kit / timing gear / time / certain tools , if you got all that and or the patience to learn you could consider it - motor out again bro if ya **** it up though
Don't know enough about the advantages of the 11mm pump , hopefully someone in the know will chime in there

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:02 am 

cam99 wrote:
I’ve done head gaskets on ford sixes no probs but chickened out of doing the suby due to not confident with the stud kit / timing gear / time / certain tools , if you got all that and or the patience to learn you could consider it - motor out again bro if ya **** it up though
Don't know enough about the advantages of the 11mm pump , hopefully someone in the know will chime in there

Same here, I rebuilt a few old school 4's & 6's back in the day but finding time is my biggest problem at the moment.
As much as I would love to have a go at it, I have work and too many other little projects going on at the moment so I will probably hand it over to a professional.

I will see what happens when it gets worse, at the moment I have a temp alarm set for 95° (I haven't see the temp climb over that on the torque app yet) and I am not driving on boost as much.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:03 pm 

Mental note (and typed here) I might fit some EGR blanking plates too.

Does anyone have dimension of the plates so I can add them to my list of things to make. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:46 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

99STi wrote:

Does anyone have dimension of the plates so I can add them to my list of things to make. :lol:

If you are taking the heads off, you dont need blanking plates. Just run a 1/8 NPT tap through them and put a steel plug in. The heqds will be on the bench so very easy to tap, and clean up after. The blanking plates are pretty expensive for what is literally a few dollar part. (Think ive seen prices as much as $100 for some)

The hole is literally the perfect size to accept a 1/8 tap. Its like they knew it would need blocking off :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 pm 

Bram wrote:
99STi wrote:

If you are taking the heads off, you dont need blanking plates. Just run a 1/8 NPT tap through them and put a steel plug in. The heqds will be on the bench so very easy to tap, and clean up after. The blanking plates are pretty expensive for what is literally a few dollar part. (Think ive seen prices as much as $100 for some)

The hole is literally the perfect size to accept a 1/8 tap. Its like they knew it would need blocking off :dontknow:

Good thinking Bram. :thumbs:

I was not really planning on buying the plates even though I think you can get them for about $30 on ebay.
If I made some blanking plates, the only real cost would be my time.
Plugging the heads sounds like a good option. :drinks:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 34 of 36   [ 359 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next