Change font size
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: [NSW] 11' Foz XTP
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:42 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Also, be prepared to trim the SFB to fit between the turbo intake pipe and the air box.

I grabbed a Kobe Motorsports SFB (to fit between factory air box and Perrin pre-turbo pipe) and trimmed wedge-shaped rings off each end of the SFB until it fit.

(I stuffed the SFB with newspaper to hold the shape, used a large hose clamp as a cutting guide and a razor to cut)

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:06 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

If you are going with an after market CAI I am not sure a SFB is required. Check what is supplied with your CAI. If going to stock, yes get a SFB.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:15 pm 

What would be the impact if i don’t install on whilst doing the turbo upgrade ? How long after the upgrade would feel like I’d need the psr intake / sfb.

Is the inlet something that goes with the cai? What if i do what Jonp said and not spend the time and money on the Pw CAI.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:45 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

The more the Mass Airflow sensor (MAF sensor) is messed with the more important it is to have the car tuned in the "new" configuration. The MAF sensor is in the exit to the stock airbox.

Eg. Running a so-called "cold air intake" (really a hot-air breathing pod filter in the engine bay) has a remarkable effect on the total flow through & past the MAF sensor so a tune is essential.

I got away with going from this squashed SFB...

[FYI the squashed stock SFB came about because the Perrin turbo pipe is a poor fit to a stock SFB. I'm sure a lot of aftermarket silicone turbo pipes have the same issue to some degree because they are aimed at users of their branded SFB and/or pod filter intake].

...to this silicone SFB...

...for a long while before a re-tune. In theory the airflow just after the MAF sensor could have been affected by the difference and I may have been lucky in having no issues from driving around so long before a re-tune. Eg, perhaps the richness of the tune was enough to cover any leaning-out effect of the change.

With the turbo inlet pipe a bit further away from the MAF sensor, my theory is that any extra flow efficiency will translate into the MAF sensor properly measuring the extra air and adding appropriate fuel. A contrary view could be that the pre-turbo pipe makes the whole engine breathe more efficiently and just counting the extra air via the MAF isn't as good as a proper tune taking into account that efficiency. Despite all my yabbering in this post, it's not my engine to be gambling with and I'm no expert.

The other factor is your tuner's "revisit for a check/update" cost. Most are pretty low/reasonable after the first tune. If you plan other modifications down the track you might be dropping in for re-tunes later anyway.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:20 am 

Yowie, Thanks for the detailed response about my lack of knowledge in this area. I didn't end up going through with purchasing a Silicon Host Inlet/SFB as yet, this will be something I will do in the near near future.

Update:
I have my car with my tuner at the moment, everything installed except the PW Intake - unfortunately it was missing a piece when I bought it second-hand, annoying but always next time to install! Including with the install, my front lower control arm bushes were apparently worn out, so tuner suggested I purchase a WHITELINE #w53353 and ALK #kca334 as replacement parts.

I've read a couple of posts here on this forum, looks like a great upgrade. Any suggestions/feedback from anyone else here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:42 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

I had both of those whiteline kits on my car and eventually took them off - the added NVH was absurd (IMO) and although I haven't gotten rid of most of the NVH due to some other pieces on the car, it has improved a lot. I didn't notice much difference in handling to be honest. I had MY08 STi suspension on at the same time and this made a profound difference in how the Forester behaved, far greater than the whiteline pieces could manage. I may not have felt the differences because of the STi suspension, so you may have a different result with a stock setup.

My recommendation is to retain factory rubber style bushes. Decide what path you want to go down with the car and how you're going to use it, then choose your parts accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:21 am 

JamesMR_ wrote:
I had both of those whiteline kits on my car and eventually took them off - the added NVH was absurd (IMO) and although I haven't gotten rid of most of the NVH due to some other pieces on the car, it has improved a lot. I didn't notice much difference in handling to be honest. I had MY08 STi suspension on at the same time and this made a profound difference in how the Forester behaved, far greater than the whiteline pieces could manage. I may not have felt the differences because of the STi suspension, so you may have a different result with a stock setup.

My recommendation is to retain factory rubber style bushes. Decide what path you want to go down with the car and how you're going to use it, then choose your parts accordingly.

Hey JamesMR, decided to go with the upgrade; instead of going Whiteline, supplier was out of stock so went with Superpro and the ALK. TBH, can't really feel much of a difference, with the ALK... I did notice the car is more stuck to the ground when driving tho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 am 

Updating this thread:
- Was able to source out a part for the PW Intake and now installed, love the sound when spooling up to the turbo!
- Big difference in drive, speed with the turbo upgrade and with all the necessary parts - car feels much different and much more exciting, especially around 3-4k rev range
- Thought I'd be done purchasing parts for the foz, recently bought front and rear sway bars to suit for handling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

gandalf12 wrote:
JamesMR_ wrote:

Hey JamesMR, decided to go with the upgrade; instead of going Whiteline, supplier was out of stock so went with Superpro and the ALK. TBH, can't really feel much of a difference, with the ALK... I did notice the car is more stuck to the ground when driving tho.

Glad to hear you don't have any of the terrible NVH issues I had (and still have). I'm actually at a complete loss as to what the issue is with my car. So many people have put aftermarket coils/STi suspension/struts etc on their SH Foz and haven't reported the same issues I have. Considering just about everything has been removed from the old setup, excluding steering rack bushes & Whiteline tophats (I had my NVH issues before the hats went on) - I still get massive crashes through the cabin over small crack lines in the road. I'm at the point now where I'm looking at getting a stock SJ XTP and sell the SH - it's that frustrating. The new struts/springs have helped a lot of the NVH but they haven't removed the instantaneous crashing/jarring into the chassis that I get when going over small cracks/cats eye markers etc.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 19 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2