Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:34 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 119 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY09 SH XTP
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Glad to hear the new bushes made the difference you were hoping for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP

[quote="JamesMR_"]Small update. Have been looking for some WRX mufflers at a reasonable price for a while now. Everyone I've messaged that has them are down south and don't want to post, so was waiting for something local and it eventually came up and for a cracking price. Ended up getting the 2x mufflers and the mid-pipe in near new condition for $150. Initially I wasn't going to grab the mid-pipe but it was thrown in so I took it and installed it all yesterday.
/quote]

i got the same mufflers but mine seem to hand quite low and dont tuck up near the holes like yours do, did you use shorter rubber mounts than the stock ones as my stock ones didnt fit the new muffler hangers as the hanger diameter was larger by a couple mm's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:02 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

esir wrote:
i got the same mufflers but mine seem to hand quite low and dont tuck up near the holes like yours do, did you use shorter rubber mounts than the stock ones as my stock ones didnt fit the new muffler hangers as the hanger diameter was larger by a couple mm's

I used the stock Forester rubber mounts and didn't modify the hangers on the mufflers - simply took the old mufflers off and swapped in the WRX ones. The rear bar needed to be cut to allow the tips to fit - this also made it a lot easier to connect the mufflers to the Y-pipe as they were sitting at the right angle.

jonp wrote:
Glad to hear the new bushes made the difference you were hoping for.

Thanks - I'm happy with the change. Won't ever have a need to put the ALK back in.

Slobbythegreat wrote:
I'm running 24 at the front with an sti flexible strut tower bar.. Feels a lot tighter.. I'm running my15 sti suspension and interested to know about these bushings as I didn't think ch aging the bushings would improve ride comfort as the sti struts are quite harsh
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I think the MY11+ suspension is firmer than the MY08-10 - from what I've read anyway. Spring rates are slightly stiffer and the shocks are matched accordingly. I think a FSB is definitely on the cards, just need to tighten the front a bit but I know once I do that, the steering rack will be the next thing annoying me. If you have the OEM LCA rear bushes - they're a soft rubber. The Whiteline ALK is firm rubber with a metal casing and the Group N mounts are basically the same as the OEM mounts but with a firmer rubber.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT SWP

I'm glad you like the group N bushings. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

Small update. Have been frustrated driving the car recently and as I only drive it every now and then, I notice all the small things and they irk me...a lot.

The NVH is still the biggest killer but now the front right shock is squeaking over bumps and I've noticed the rear left sitting lower than the rear right. Time for a change!

I've just ordered some Cusco Touring-A shocks from CMA - link: https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/tou ... 08-12.html

I'll pair these with some Pedders springs and after looking at tobyo's and HOYEO's builds - I think this will give me a good median between comfort/performance with some flexibility to move either way. I'll likely get a slightly firmer than stock spring rate and get the 30mm drop Pedders springs. This will make the car sit a bit higher than it does on the current MY08 STi kit and soften it up a bit as well, but still offer some performance as a DD and be comfortable enough for bub who's due NYE!

Plan of attack:
Order Cusco shocks - done.
Order Pedders springs - spring rate TBC
Fit springs to struts
Swap the Whiteline Com-C top hats onto the Cusco shocks
Install Cusco shocks
Remove Whiteline RCA and revert back to OEM tie-rods/mounts
Test drive and adjust.

I'll also have the stock mid-pipe put back on, hoping that the resonator will remove some of the drone. I'll keep the WRX mufflers on - they look too good and give a nice growl. While this is being done, I'm confident I have an exhaust leak either on the dump pipe or headers, so I'll have the TurboXS dump pipe test-fitted while the gaskets are being changed. If it fits, it stays on and I'll get a tune. If it doesn't fit then I'll sell it.

I never wanted to "chase" the suspension setup but it's exactly what I've ended up doing. Coming from a 280awkw MY06 STi setup on MCA's and all the bracing/bushes etc you can throw at it - I was wanting to get the XT near to a factory STi in terms of handling/comfort. It could be done with the right parts but how I've gone about it has not been the right way. The overall cost hasn't been too much - most of it in labour. The one thing I regret the most is the Whiteline RCA kit. I originally thought it was the ALK causing the NVH, but since that's been replaced with the Group N bushes, there's ultimately been no change in NVH so the RCA kit is the culprit.

If I was to do it again - I'd go quality coilovers straight up (or a KYB/Cusco shock & spring setup), WRX steering rack and swaybars. I don't think the SH needs much more than that and I'm still keen for a rack but just haven't come across one for a decent price.

I'll update this once the shocks are in. There's not a lot of information on the Cusco shocks, especially for the SH...so whilst not being a trailblazer as HOYEO had them on his, I figured I'd provide as much info on these as possible in case anyone was looking at them in future.

Cheers. J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm 

Thanks for the update. Keen to hear how the Cusco shocks work out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:21 pm 

jonp wrote:
Thanks for the update. Keen to hear how the Cusco shocks work out.

Me too! HOYEO seemed to enjoy them on Tein springs, amongst all the other goodies done to that car. I may still toy with the idea of getting a WRX rack and a front swaybar, depends how the car rides on the Cusco's as to whether the swaybar will be needed or not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:43 pm 

Ordered a set of Pedders Sportsryder springs - $392 for all 4. A bit more than I was expecting but it seems to be the going rate, considering a chap on here 6 years ago got them for $389.

An old post from waggaclint indicates the spring rates are: Front 4.4kg, Rears 3.7kg.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:34 am 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

JamesMR_ wrote:
Ordered a set of Pedders Sportsryder springs - $392 for all 4. A bit more than I was expecting but it seems to be the going rate, considering a chap on here 6 years ago got them for $389.

An old post from waggaclint indicates the spring rates are: Front 4.4kg, Rears 3.7kg.

Yeah right, that spring rate is pretty soft. I have 8's front and rear and considering my mate has a brand new sti wrx the ride isn't much different or harsh. All aboard! Have fun going down the river in your boat, be careful you don't fall out the window!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:12 am 

I think suspension is like exhausts in that everyone has a different opinion on what is good vs bad. For exhausts, one persons loud is another persons quiet. For suspension, one persons soft is another persons hard.

I have Tein springs that are front 3.9kg rears 3.2kg - so softer than Pedders (front 4.4kg rears 3.7kg) plus they are progressive. I have a 20mm RSB and find the ride nice. If anything a bit too hard. A boat it is not - in my opinion.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 10 of 12   [ 119 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next