Change font size
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 19   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY09 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:47 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Berjo wrote:
It's not supposed to shove you in the seat. From new our S-Edition didn't do that until around 60k on the clock. Gradually got worse and used to shunt you in the seat when changing from park to drive when cold, that was the start of my stuffed valve body. Would get a trans flush and make sure you run the absolute correct fluid in the trans.

Thanks for the tip re; gearbox shunt. I'll organise a flush and see how it goes after that. Nothing has been noted in the log book history about anything gearbox related so we'll see what happens as time goes on.

jonp wrote:
Thanks for the feedback James.
I read that the 11/12 models did have reduced road noise from better firewall insulation (from memory). I highly recommend adding some Dynamat or Focal BAM to all the doors and boot as it makes a huge difference.

I recently went through your thread and the dynamat will be on the cards, as well as a new HU and under-seat sub. The HU in the SE has a yellow tinge in the upper half of the screen, whereas the screen in the XTP is white, so it's due for a replacement anyway (and it's a POS). Would a bulk pack of Dynamat be able to do the 4 doors and boot floor?

Yowie wrote:
Good comparative review :thumbs:
When you get a chance for some freeway time, i'm interested to hear about the cruising revs/behaviour with a 5th gear compared to the 4 speed auto.

I'll make a note next time I'm in the SE and will need to get some fuel in the XTP and eventually drive both over to the in-laws to swap the brakes etc over as they have more room to get both cars up on stands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:03 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Yep - a bulk pack of Dynamat will do the 4 doors (inner and outer skin) and boot floor. May also have enough to do the tailgate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:54 pm 

Thanks jonp.

Small update - swapped the OEM SH XTP brakes back onto the car and put the Liberty GT brakes onto the S-Edition. Took my time and took most of the day to do with lunch and tea breaks.

Next job - remove RSB off the XTP and replace with the original 16mm, then put the 22mm RSB on the S-Edition. Will swap the mufflers over as well. Any tricks with doing the swaybar? Can I do it with the car up on stands or does it need to be on the ground?

Weekend after that I'll swap the radiators. Couldn't be assed doing it last weekend. Didn't feel like bleeding brakes and doing coolant flushes on two cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:57 pm 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

Sway bar has to be put on with the weight on the wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:00 pm 

Berjo wrote:

Easy done! Will just get the ramps setup and swap it over then.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:05 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I'm impressed you have enough energy to remember which way to turn a bolt to tighten it with a new baby in the house.

Solid effort with all the parts-switchover :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:21 am 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

JamesMR_ wrote:
Berjo wrote:

Easy done! Will just get the ramps setup and swap it over then.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am 

Yowie wrote:
I'm impressed you have enough energy to remember which way to turn a bolt to tighten it with a new baby in the house.

Solid effort with all the parts-switchover :thumbs:

Oh don't worry, I caught myself having to really think about which way to crank the spanners. "Lefty loosey righty tighty. Lefty loosey righty tighty. Lefty loosey righty tighty."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:58 pm 

Yowie wrote:
Good comparative review :thumbs:

When you get a chance for some freeway time, i'm interested to hear about the cruising revs/behaviour with a 5th gear compared to the 4 speed auto.

Ok so cruising behaviour at highway speeds is surprisingly similar. At 100kmh both cars are just a smidge over 2k rpm but it feels like the TD04 is already semi-spooled, so when you want to increase speed it will happily do so. The VF52 in general needs a bit of time to wind up in comparison but it's easily stronger from that point to the top of the rev range.

What has stood out to me more is how the 4EAT seems to "request" torque from the motor. This is especially noticeable going up hill with steady throttle input - with no change in throttle position, the turbo will surge as the car slowly increases speed, then taper off and surge again and again. On a fairly steep incline at 70kmh over say, 200-300m, the turbo spooled no less than 4 separate times as I went from 70-80kmh up the hill. The S-Edition won't do that at all and also seems much happier to stay in a higher gear to maintain speed.

The XTP is great around town and quick enough from a set of lights to 70kmh which it feels like takes no time at all. The S-Edition is very similar but just has more oomph. It definitely feels like it's being held back whereas the TD04 gives you the impression it's doing everything it can on the stock tune.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Cheers for the detailed write-up. :thumbs:

JamesMR_ wrote:
....What has stood out to me more is how the 4EAT seems to "request" torque from the motor. This is especially noticeable going up hill with steady throttle input - with no change in throttle position, the turbo will surge as the car slowly increases speed, then taper off and surge again and again. On a fairly steep incline at 70kmh over say, 200-300m, the turbo spooled no less than 4 separate times as I went from 70-80kmh up the hill. The S-Edition won't do that at all and also seems much happier to stay in a higher gear to maintain speed...

I wonder if this is caused by a feedback loop with the smaller turbo.

Eg the more ready boost of the TD04 comes in with mild engine load, the driver's foot eases back on the throttle because a load of boost isn't needed, torque map changes, turbo spools back down, mild engine load triggers rising boost, repeat.

Contrast with the bigger turbo that isn't nudging boost conditions at the same mild engine loads.

All things being equal, you'll probably save fuel with the VF52 because it's not trying to tip into boosted/rich all the time in normal driving.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 18 of 19   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next