Change font size
It is currently Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:00 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 17 of 19   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY09 SH XTP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

I might leave it then if there's nothing to be gained from it.

Update on the white XTP - the problem has finally been solved. Not without costing a small fortune along the way but you live and learn.

The LCA rear bush that I had was a Group N (part# 20204ZR010) which I got from Japanparts. The new OEM bush I got from partsouq was part# 20204AG011. Both had the 20204AG011 part number on the bush itself. I was torn between not swapping them over and so I made the call to leave them. Then I went to Google and found in various posts that the consensus is that the Group N bush uses the exact same mould as the OEM bush, markings and all - and that they simply use a different rubber for the Group N bush as well as giving it a new part #. I called back and asked them to swap it anyway, so doubling up on labour as the LCA had already been refitted to the car. Oh well. At least I'd know that the OEM rubber bush was installed and not need to wonder if there was a genuine Group N bush installed or not.

The front LCA bush was replaced, moving from the Whiteline W0506 part to the OEM Subaru part. Standard stuff but I actually suspect this as being the culprit the entire time. I say this because the removal of the Whiteline ALK (which was replaced with the Group N bush) achieved nothing, and this swap was done on its own on a separate trip to Fulcrum. There was no change in car behaviour or NVH with the ALK->Group N swap and the front LCA bush remained in place.

So potentially, a pissy $50 Whiteline bush has been the bane of my existence and causing extreme levels of NVH (namely "Harshness").

The drive home was comforting, knowing that the Cusco/Pedders setup and Whiteline top hats could all remain. I'll sell the car with these bits installed as if I ever modify the S-Edition, I'm going straight to coilovers.

For the sake of everyone else's sanity - DO NOT put the Whiteline W0506 LCA front bush on an SH Forester. I believe the Group N or ALK will be of benefit with many others not having any notable increases in NVH with either of these.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:16 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Glad it all has been resolved. How does the white car compare to the S-Edition?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:30 pm 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

JamesMR_ wrote:
Also, has anyone removed the "milk bottle" baffles in the drivers side wheel arch for the intake? I'm thinking about removing this to get a bit more spool sound but not sure how much effect this will have on a Forester. Both of my previous STi's had it removed but both had a Process West intake on it which sounds mega on spool up.

Does nothing on performance, if anything it makes it feel as if theirs a flat spot on initial acceleration, not worth removing in my opinion unless your gonna plug up the hold with something else.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:47 am 

Vehicle: MY12 SWP E-EDITION

JamesMR_ wrote:
Also, has anyone removed the "milk bottle" baffles in the drivers side wheel arch for the intake? I'm thinking about removing this to get a bit more spool sound but not sure how much effect this will have on a Forester. Both of my previous STi's had it removed but both had a Process West intake on it which sounds mega on spool up.

I removed mine and add a 90 degree bend i had laying around for a cold air feed. No noticeable gains but extra spoil noise.

Previous Ride: MY04 XT Luxury - JDM STI SG9 Heart/VF41

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:10 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Probably no noticeable gains as they come from factory with a “Cold Air” intake.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:51 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

My theory is that with a big enough turbo you probably start to suffer from flow limits of the OEM snorkel setup (and probably the MAF sensor too, but different topic).

At that point your choice would probably be between:

(a) selecting "more flow but more heat" with an engine bay pod filter (as many racing cars do); or

(b) getting serious/creative with a "sealed to engine bay" low-restriction source of cool air from outside - using large pipes, perhaps removing a headlight or foglight, etc.

I read a review of some German performance car (forget if Merc or Bimmer) has a flapper in the factory air box that only opens under "full load" conditions for a bit of extra airflow and noise. The rest of the time it drawing in only only cold air quietly through a snorkel (Schnorchel!) in the OEM style with which we are familiar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

jonp wrote:
Glad it all has been resolved. How does the white car compare to the S-Edition?

Pretty easy to compare really, now that the NVH is similar (not exactly the same but close enough) between the two cars.

White XTP:
RSB is very noticeable compared to the factory SE. Rear end is much more stable and settled in the corners.

Car is lower on the Pedders springs. This seems to be beneficial basically in every aspect - lower/more stable/less body roll/looks better. The only downside is potentially less spring travel and causes a slightly bouncier ride. Some additional tweaking of the rebound on the Cusco's may reduce this.

Brakes - Liberty GT with QFM HPX and DBA slotted rotors comfortably outperforms the factory SE/XT brakes. It's a must-do for any SH owner IMO (same with the RSB).
TD04 vs VF52 on factory tunes - TD04 spools much earlier and feels much more eager off the line or initial pedal input. VF52 is noticeably laggier but pulls harder and for longer.

4EAT vs 5EAT - the 5spd is much smoother on up and downshifts when warm. I've noticed the 5EAT doesn't like to do much of anything when it's cold. It tends to hold 1st gear for longer and doesn't like transitioning from reverse to drive. I get a fair shove in the seat when doing this but after a short drive this disappears. The 5spd will hold a lower gear going downhill which saves me covering the brake which is necessary with the 4EAT to stop speeding down hills. Having paddles makes changing gears more accessible and I tend to use it more often as opposed to shifting the lever over on the 4EAT (even though you can still do this on the 5EAT).

Interior - SE is just nicer overall. Better looking seats, in which the fabric part of the seat adds a bit more grip compared to the leather seats in the XTP. I like the small LCD screen in the dash but I prefer the XTP AC controls/dials in the middle. They're just easier to use and navigate without looking.

Small things - wheels are nicer on the SE but 18's would be so much better. There seems to be less road noise in the SE - whether that's a byproduct of having stock suspension vs Cusco/whiteline/pedders on the XTP or if there's just better sound deadening in the SE, I'm not sure. Maybe both. The rear spoiler has larger extensions on the side of the boot.

The only thing I dislike about the SE is I have a rattle from the sunroof on the drivers side. I can't tell where it's coming from exactly, sounds like a piece of tin/metal rattling around and this noise disappears if you push upwards on the glass (while the roof is closed). The seal around the glass squeaks a bit but I don't think it's that.

Everything else is pretty much the same between the two cars. I'll absolutely be swapping the brakes and RSB over to the SE which should improve handling and braking. I'll need to force myself to leave it there but the Tein springs are looking good - I just don't think I can let myself start playing with suspension again.

Regarding the milk bottle - I'll simply leave it in place. Sounds like there's no point in removing it despite it being a very common thing to do. I don't plan on replacing the intake with a "cold air" kit, so the factory box and piping can remain. A silicone intake pipe might help but unless the factory one is cracked, I won't upgrade this either. If anything, I'm still open to a tune of sorts to extract a bit more power and torque and may still swap the WRX mufflers over from the XTP. The sound is nice and may have less drone with the 5EAT.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Good comparative review :thumbs:

When you get a chance for some freeway time, i'm interested to hear about the cruising revs/behaviour with a 5th gear compared to the 4 speed auto.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:33 pm 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

4EAT vs 5EAT - the 5spd is much smoother on up and downshifts when warm. I've noticed the 5EAT doesn't like to do much of anything when it's cold. It tends to hold 1st gear for longer and doesn't like transitioning from reverse to drive. I get a fair shove in the seat when doing this but after a short drive this disappears. The 5spd will hold a lower gear going downhill which saves me covering the brake which is necessary with the 4EAT to stop speeding down hills. Having paddles makes changing gears more accessible and I tend to use it more often as opposed to shifting the lever over on the 4EAT (even though you can still do this on the 5EAT).

It's not supposed to shove you in the seat. From new our S-Edition didn't do that until around 60k on the clock. Gradually got worse and used to shunt you in the seat when changing from park to drive when cold, that was the start of my stuffed valve body. Would get a trans flush and make sure you run the absolute correct fluid in the trans.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:07 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Thanks for the feedback James.

A tune will definitely get the most out of the VF52 and help with driveability - add that to your must do list :)

I don't get the gear change issue. As Berjo said, do a flush and fluid change and see if that helps.

I read that the 11/12 models did have reduced road noise from better firewall insulation (from memory). I highly recommend adding some Dynamat or Focal BAM to all the doors and boot as it makes a huge difference.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 17 of 19   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next