Change font size
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:31 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 12   [ 119 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY09 SH XTP
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:49 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I think Berjo is assuming the Forester is being used as a track car. I can confirm with facts, that the Pedders springs are a vast improvement over stock, as we have two SH Foresters in our household and one has Pedders Springs, the other OEM. No one in either car has fallen out nor confused a Forester with a sports car. :ok:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 pm 

I Say: What goes around comes around
Vehicle: MY12 S-Edition Forester

Ha ha, holy crap mate I thought you would have melted down some steel and machined up your own springs, but point taken, by all means my Foz is no track car. And yeah, I thought you might want to take a roundabout maybe a little faster than a stock Mitsubishi Express van. I would have gone with a 6kg in the fronts and 5kgs in the back, even the dude at Peddlers said 6f 5r when I was getting a wheel alignment done there 3 months ago. Josh at MCA recommended 6 and 5 for the street/comfort. I used to have Peddlers Sports lowered springs in my wife's supercharged VT commo wagon and in my Datto 1600, but I found overtime their springs got saggy and I end up driving a boat. Got rid of the Commo ages ago but I've still got my Datto and I changed out the springs for Swift Springs. The quality of the spring coil is visually thicker but has never lost the spring if you know what I mean. But horses for courses, whatever works for you. And Tobyo that was a joke, your Foz is absolutely awesome, and bloody hell you definitely have some skills/time!

Last edited by Berjo on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:45 pm 

jonp wrote:
I think suspension is like exhausts in that everyone has a different opinion on what is good vs bad. For exhausts, one persons loud is another persons quiet. For suspension, one persons soft is another persons hard.

I have Tein springs that are front 3.9kg rears 3.2kg - so softer than Pedders (front 4.4kg rears 3.7kg) plus they are progressive. I have a 20mm RSB and find the ride nice. If anything a bit too hard. A boat it is not - in my opinion.

Yeah fair enough, wow that is low spring rates , my R32 GTR had Kei Office coilovers that were 12kg front and 11kgs rear, that was rough but man did it fly around corners in the Adelaide Hills!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:47 pm 

Berjo wrote:
Ha ha, holy crap mate I thought you would have melted down some steel and machined up your own springs, but point taken, by all means my Foz is no track car. And yeah, I thought you might want to take a roundabout maybe a little faster than a stock Mitsubishi Express van. I would have gone with a 6kg in the fronts and 5kgs in the back, even the dude at Peddlers that when I was getting a wheel alignment done there 3 months ago. Josh at MCA recommended 6 and 5 for the street/comfort. I used to have Peddlers Sports lowered springs in my wife's supercharged VT common wagon and in my Datto 1600, but I found overtime their springs got saggy and I end up driving a boat. Got rid of the Commo ages ago but I've still got my Datto and I changed out the springs for Swift Springs. The quality of the spring coil is visually thicker but has never lost the spring if you know what I mean. But horses for courses, whatever works for you. And Tobyo that was a joke, your Foz is absolutely awesome, and bloody hell you definitely have some skills!

Maybe it's like Jean's, size 32 can be different between brands,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:04 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Berjo wrote:
Ha ha, holy crap mate I thought you would have melted down some steel and machined up your own springs....

Nah, billet. Tobyo starts with a cylinder of spring steel the size of a fire extinguisher then CNC mills away everything that isn't the final spring shape... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:45 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

The spring rates are low, but they are firmer than stock and should maintain a compliant ride. The kicker for wanting to essentially reverse all of my modifications is that my wife is 2 months away from giving birth to our first child and this will be our primary car. It MUST be comfortable. I didn't want to go back to the stock SLS as they have about 110k on them and the front left was knocking about before I swapped it for STi struts/springs, so there was little point in putting them back on.

Opting for the Cusco's over the typical KYB/RCE shocks was purely about adjustment. The overall package with struts & springs comes in slightly cheaper than MCA Blues and a few hundred less than the Street Performance series. A friend with an SJ has the Street Performance on his and he's on roughly 4.5/4kg springs. That car rides like a magic carpet, far more comfortable than my SH.

I've had an MR2 with 10/12kg springs and my last STi was 9/10kg on MCA XR's. That was a firm ride but those MCA's put in some work - very good coilovers. The MR2 was far too firm.

If I can get the SH to be as compliant as stock, slightly lower than stock and without the boatiness - I'll be happy. The 22mm RSB will stay, the RCA kit will be removed, the GroupN LCA bushes will stay and the H/D rack bushes will stay.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:23 am 

JamesMR_ wrote:
The spring rates are low, but they are firmer than stock and should maintain a compliant ride. The kicker for wanting to essentially reverse all of my modifications is that my wife is 2 months away from giving birth to our first child and this will be our primary car. It MUST be comfortable. I didn't want to go back to the stock SLS as they have about 110k on them and the front left was knocking about before I swapped it for STi struts/springs, so there was little point in putting them back on.

Opting for the Cusco's over the typical KYB/RCE shocks was purely about adjustment. The overall package with struts & springs comes in slightly cheaper than MCA Blues and a few hundred less than the Street Performance series. A friend with an SJ has the Street Performance on his and he's on roughly 4.5/4kg springs. That car rides like a magic carpet, far more comfortable than my SH.

I've had an MR2 with 10/12kg springs and my last STi was 9/10kg on MCA XR's. That was a firm ride but those MCA's put in some work - very good coilovers. The MR2 was far too firm.

If I can get the SH to be as compliant as stock, slightly lower than stock and without the boatiness - I'll be happy. The 22mm RSB will stay, the RCA kit will be removed, the GroupN LCA bushes will stay and the H/D rack bushes will stay.

How much difference did the steering rack bushes make?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:26 am 

Couldn't tell you to be honest. They went in with the Whiteline ALK, RCA and RSB so I couldn't really say what each component did individually. There's still a tonne of play in the rack but I think that's just down to it being so pathetic from factory.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:10 pm 

No word on my Cusco's just yet, CMA may not have received their shipment. Can't wait to get them on the car!

Booked the car in with Subaru to get the 4 (!) recalls done:
Both Passenger & Driver's airbags
Secondary Air Pump Relay
Towbar (not fitted but needs to be "checked")
Interior Light - gets too hot apparently

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:24 am 

Vehicle: S15 silvia, Datsun260z

Hey bud just read through your whole thread!
In relation to your crooked STI badge at the front, same thing happened to mine. I bought the badge, was told that the traditional pink STI badge for the car and the newer style cherry red ones would both fit as the mounting points were the same.
They were not, and i needed to dremmel out my cross sports grill quite a bit to fit my badge, and the mounting posts made my badge crooked too. O well!

Nice to see a fellow dato owner on here too! you still have her?

Rudi.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 11 of 12   [ 119 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next