Change font size
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 11   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:22 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Glad you are ok. Nice with the new brake setup :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

It was so weird because it felt like it happened in slow motion. My initial reaction was "oh ****" but instantly I tried to hold the car back, not even thinking about where my feet were at the time and hadn't quite grasped the thought that the car would actually hit the ground. So stupid of me!!

Tobyo wrote:
Thank a God, or better, blame physics (shakes fist at gravity).
Very similar thing happened to my brother, though the car landed on his arm.. which so happened to be on the trolley jack.
Arm didn’t look quite right once we jacked the car up again.. many bouts of surgery later had it looking like new (sort of).

Your brake work on the other hand makes me want to go out and finally do mine. The black really does look good :ok:

I can only imagine. I was very lucky and I don't think I know how close I was to potentially losing a foot. The jack itself is bent so it doesn't stand up straight, the threaded bar is bent as well which I find quite surprising too. I expected the jack to be buggered but the bar going through the middle makes me think that maybe it was just too much weight on that part which started to buckle and once it started moving, the jack didn't like it.

The brakes are worth it so if you have the parts, just chuck them on! I'm glad I went with new rotors and pads. Took the car for another drive today and you can actually hear the brakes working (no squealing, just friction). It's night and day difference and almost feels as good as my old STi.

jonp wrote:
Glad you are ok. Nice with the new brake setup :)

Cheers mate! Very lucky!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:18 am 

Forester4thetrees wrote:
JamesMR JamesMR JamesMR! (tut tut tut)

Mate you can thank God for that foot being out of range!

Glad your okay. Car is okay too.

I have had similar 'stand shifted and car fell off" happen to me.

Cheers Al

Yeah all things considered - no damage to me or the car! That will be the first and last time I let something like that happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 pm 

Sneaky photo I took at the shops on the weekend while trying not to look like a fool for taking a photo of "just a Forester".

I'm toying with the idea of getting some STi hubs fitted so I can put some STi wheels on the car. I'm very much a fan of using OEM parts and the STi wheels look nice and should be able to get some with tyres for a reasonable price.

Options:
https://res.cloudinary.com/carsguide/image/upload/f_auto,fl_lossy,q_auto,t_cg_hero_large/v1/editorial/dp/albums/album-113/lg/subaru-wrx-sti-auto-3.jpg
http://www.subaruclubsg.com/uploads/monthly_2017_04/sti_wheels_front.jpg.d20546a20c2f17dd10e79520f411b005.jpg

I've ordered some Whiteline Com C strut tops (KCA409) as I need more camber adjustment in the front - sitting on +0.70 F & L at the moment. I'm not sure how much adjustment I'll get - reported to have 0.5deg adjustment but I've read someone had MY12 struts with these tops and he was running -2.5deg camber with room for more. I'm sceptical of the "scope" of work performed by Fulcrum. I don't have any grounds for this belief, it's just a feeling. I'll see what comes of the next alignment once the tops are fitted. These should be similar to GroupN strut tops in terms of NVH. I'm not happy with how the NVH is currently anyway but I don't know what the actual cause is for the harshness coming through.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 pm 

Your car looks super low or is that just the angle of the photo?

I also do like STI wheels but I am too lazy to change hubs :) Of the 2 photos, I prefer the first one.

I have the standard STI 17” wheels that come on the S-Edition but want 18” to fill out the guards. Options I am considering are:
- Liberty tbsti wheels (basically the S-Edition wheels but 18”). These have a 55 offset so the wheels will be tucked in more. Not sure I will like that look.
- Rota gravels. Copies of the above but with 44 offset.
- Look for the very rare JPM 18” version of my wheels (ST2810088000)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm 

jonp wrote:
Your car looks super low or is that just the angle of the photo?

I also do like STI wheels but I am too lazy to change hubs :) Of the 2 photos, I prefer the first one.

I have the standard STI 17” wheels that come on the S-Edition but want 18” to fill out the guards. Options I am considering are:
- Liberty tbsti wheels (basically the S-Edition wheels but 18”). These have a 55 offset so the wheels will be tucked in more. Not sure I will like that look.
- Rota gravels. Copies of the above but with 44 offset.
- Look for the very rare JPM 18” version of my wheels (ST2810088000)

Oo la la those JDM 18" are very intriguing. The Liberty tbsti wheels must be the same as released on the 07 WRX TB STi model - both +55 and I think 18x7.5.

My car sits how it looks. Not slammed/tucking but just right IMO. A pic on the first page should give you a better idea as the lighting is better. The front is almost flush - the tyres sit a bit further out compared to the rim, so the tyres are basically flush with the guard and the rim sits just inside. There's scope for a slightly lower offset with the right tyre and a bit of negative camber. The rears are slightly tucked and I have -2.1deg camber so I can go an even lower offset rim on the rear compared to the front. I think a +43 offset for front and rear should be bang on.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

nice stealthy brakes mate! very lucky with your slip up too!!

car sits nice! have you put anything in the back? it doesnt look like its sagging at all which tends to happen with the sti suspension swap over. looks great!

i got some 17" sti wheels if you want them!

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:04 pm 

Slobbythegreat wrote:
nice stealthy brakes mate! very lucky with your slip up too!!

car sits nice! have you put anything in the back? it doesnt look like its sagging at all which tends to happen with the sti suspension swap over. looks great!

i got some 17" sti wheels if you want them!

Cheers mate. Very happy with the brakes but I need to touch up the paint on the passenger side and I'll eventually get around to painting the rears. The WRX struts/springs are renowned to sag in the rear but STi's seem to be better in that respect as they have a stiffer spring rate and the struts are well matched. If it does start to sag over time then I'll look for a pair of MY11+ as they were stiffer again. Nothing in the back of the car in that photo - that's just how it sits and I really like it. Will look better with larger wheels but I will go for 18's - thanks for the offer though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 pm 

Quick update - got the Whiteline Com C strut tops (KCA409) installed by Fulcrum and had another alignment done. The tops give a base amount of positive camber regardless of what position they're installed in, so my caster increased from 6.5/5.8 (left/right) on the previous alignment to 7.1/6.5. I'll have to have a look at the sheet to confirm the settings.

Camber was the reason for going with the tops in the first place as I was sitting a 0.70 positive camber left and right, compared to -2.15 on the rears. There's an expected 0.5deg adjustment in the strut tops but Fulcrum were able to get it to -0.40deg camber left and right. Whilst not as much as I was hoping for, at least the wheels are leaning the right way.

The most noticeable difference with the strut tops is the reduction in NVH. I definitely wasn't expecting this as from all accounts, they're supposed to increase NVH. I still have that initial shock coming through the car when hitting grid lines or cracks in the road, but they're definitely softer. I wonder if the strut tops on the OEM STi struts were buggered? I don't have them any more but that's the only conclusion I can come to. Did about 200kms on the weekend, highway/city/mountain and even a cobbled street and I was very surprised and quite pleased.

My front grille is apparently sitting in a post office in Brisbane, so I'm hoping to get a card or even a delivery today or tomorrow. Pics to follow once I've installed it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:42 pm 

Glad NVH has improved.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 11   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next