Change font size
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:09 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Yowie wrote:
My stock endlinks support a Whilteline 22mm rear bar (middle setting) no worries.

One of my Whiteline end links eventually broke at the threaded steel bit (through swaybar) - probably weakened from too much time being loose.

To my eyes the stock end links look at least as strong as the whitelines (eg steel main body rather than alloy).

Bram manufactures super-strong end links on custom order if you want to put the "strength" matter behind you for good.

Did you notice a reduction in NVH when going back to the stock link? The only change to the rear of the car is the RSB and whiteline links and I'm pretty surprised at how much vibration is coming through. I fully expected more NVH from the front with the RCA kit and the poly bushes that went in but wasn't expecting the rear to be so noisy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

I didn't notice any NVH differences between end links.

If you have made more changes than just the swaybar (eg at the front) then don't rule out extra NVH from the front. Polly bushes, more castor etc tends to add NVH.

Noise is a funny thing too - hard for human beings to tell exactly where it is coming from. The boot of a wagon is a bit of a resonant chamber for noise.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:00 pm 

Yowie wrote:
I didn't notice any NVH differences between end links.

If you have made more changes than just the swaybar (eg at the front) then don't rule out extra NVH from the front. Polly bushes, more castor etc tends to add NVH.

Noise is a funny thing too - hard for human beings to tell exactly where it is coming from. The boot of a wagon is a bit of a resonant chamber for noise.

Yeah you might be right. I've just noticed more noise in the cabin when going over bumps, but can definitely notice them more when the rear wheels go over them.

I've contacted Fulcrum again to see what can be done about the front camber (I've only just noticed it was positive camber, not negative) so this definitely needs to change. I also want to pull the caster back in to around 4deg across both sides and get the steering wheel pointing straight as it's slightly right hand down at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm 

Bit of an update - I'll be placing an order through CMA for some Whiteline Com C top hats for the front struts. This should give me a little more adjustment options for the front camber as I'm not happy with where it's at currently. I don't have any other options available to me now as the camber bolts are already dialled in for as much negative camber as possible, and still sitting at 0.70deg left and right. If I can get to around -1.5deg I'll be happy.

I've had a look at my old STi alignment and it had -3deg camber front and -2.5 deg rear, with 4.20deg caster (front left and right). I've been told that the caster settings are normally 0.4-0.5deg variance between left and right due to the camber of our roads but I think I'll just get this neutralised so both sides are the same.

Will also order some DBA T2 replacement rear rotors and QFM HPX pads (front and rear). Might need to get some more VHT paint so I can do the rear calipers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:07 am 

James very graciously let me drive his car through a section of Mt Nebo / Mt Glorious this morning.

I can confirm that the 2008 STI struts have a very car-like ride (i.e not harsh) and the handling is very good generally (eg "go cart like"). :thumbs:

[The roads were A & B grade and we weren't driving at any more than "six tenths", so I can't comment on pot-hole-induced maximum suspension travel or the suspension behaviour at the "ragged edge".]

Noting the low price of 2nd hand 2008 STI struts, this seems to be an excellent-value lowering option as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 pm 

Yowie wrote:
James very graciously let me drive his car through a section of Mt Nebo / Mt Glorious this morning.

I can confirm that the 2008 STI struts have a very car-like ride (i.e not harsh) and the handling is very good generally (eg "go cart like"). :thumbs:

[The roads were A & B grade and we weren't driving at any more than "six tenths", so I can't comment on pot-hole-induced maximum suspension travel or the suspension behaviour at the "ragged edge".]

Noting the low price of 2nd hand 2008 STI struts, this seems to be an excellent-value lowering option as well.

Cheers and nice to meet you. The one thing I took away from driving both cars back to back was how heavy and laboured the stock suspension 'feels' compared to the STi gear. It was far more comfortable and compliant but for some reason your car just felt heavy and big in comparison, despite having a lot more oomph.:D I'm really impressed with the VF46/E85 combo but I'm just not sure if it will hit the same mark on pump fuel and may leave me wanting for more. My choice now is to either maximize the TD04 with the dump pipe and a tune, or go all-in with the VF52.

I'll be fitting the Liberty GT calipers/DBA T2 rotors/QFM HPX pads next weekend. I'm keeping the stock rear rotors but putting QFM HPX pads in the rear as well, with new DOT4 fluid. The stock brake lines will be retained and I'll paint the rear calipers to match the fronts. I'll do these the night prior so they should be dry enough to handle and put back on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 pm 

Cheers :thumbs:

I agree that the handling at stock height is still a "pay attention" situation despite my various handling mods. Probably due partially to the actual physics and partially to the psychological effect of having one's inner-ear balance sensory system further out on the vertical "lever" during a turn.

As discussed, the characteristic of my steering wheel to fight the driver about bumps during a turn came about when the additional caster was introduced (Superpro lower control arms) and is also a bit unnerving :lol:

All that said, i spent Sunday towing a laden cage trailer up and down gutters on steep hills in the rain, so the stock height is still good for something :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:09 pm 

Installed the Liberty GT (Gen5) calipers and DBA T2 rotors yesterday. Along with these were some QFM HPX pads and Dot4 fluid.

I'll start off with saying I **** up. I had the car up on a single jack with a single wheel sitting under the front of the car. As I was tightening up the bolts on the drivers side caliper, the torque going into the bolt moved the car enough for it to fall off the jack and land on the ground. I was standing over the car putting weight on the ring spanner and that was enough to twist it off the stand. The stand must have slipped as the car started to fall backwards and away from the wheel that was placed under it. The end result was my brand new rotor taking the weight of the car as it sat on the garage floor. It was sheer idiocy and laziness on my part to not have the wheels chocked and not putting a proper stand under it. I could've lost a foot as my feet would have been right where the rotor ended up.

SAFETY FIRST :idea: :idea: :!:

After this we had to use another two jacks to get the front of the car off the ground and up high enough to support it. Ended up having two wheels under it, 2 jacks and a proper stand as well as a wheel chock to complete the work. I'll know for next time.

Surprisingly there was no visual damage to the rotor, not even a mark or blemish on it. There doesn't appear to be any cracks either so I'll keep an eye on it after a few heat cycles and see how it's held up after the shock.

The brakes are phenomenal in comparison to the stock setup. I'm yet to properly bed them in but a few hard stops in drizzling rain and wet roads still blew me away at how solid the braking feel is. The pedal doesn't feel much different but the braking performance feels much "meatier" and you can definitely feel the front brakes doing their thing. The stock setup felt balanced as the car just 'slowed down' - the feel of the brakes now feels biased towards the front and much, much better.

I took some pics of the drivers side strut and whiteline goodies while I was at it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

JamesMR JamesMR JamesMR! (tut tut tut)

Mate you can thank God for that foot being out of range!

Glad your okay. Car is okay too.

I have had similar 'stand shifted and car fell off" happen to me.

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:46 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Thank a God, or better, blame physics (shakes fist at gravity).
Very similar thing happened to my brother, though the car landed on his arm.. which so happened to be on the trolley jack.
Arm didn’t look quite right once we jacked the car up again.. many bouts of surgery later had it looking like new (sort of).

Your brake work on the other hand makes me want to go out and finally do mine. The black really does look good :ok:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next