Change font size
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 9:03 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Posts: 901
Location: Sydney
I thought there was very minimal difference between stock rears and Liberty GT rears - mainly being vented. Would mainly be of benefit if you track your car?

_________________
2011 S-Edition SWP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:28 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 146
Location: Australia
jonp wrote:
I thought there was very minimal difference between stock rears and Liberty GT rears - mainly being vented. Would mainly be of benefit if you track your car?


The car won't be tracked but I dunno, I just feel like having vented rotors will bring it up into the 21st century and it won't hurt to have matching DBA's. Can never have too much braking capacity :mrgreen:

Yowie wrote:
JamesMR_ wrote:

Might look for a set of Liberty GT rear calipers now - just need to check if they suit vented rotors to get rid of the stock XT ones.

Gen 5 Liberty GT calipers & rotors will fit. Gen 4 wont.
If you find a supplier of the rears, can you let me know if they have more than the set you're buying.
Due to a repeated SNAFU with one wrecker i only have Gen 5 rear calipers for one side at the moment. :evil:


I'll have a look and see what I find. I've had luck with facebook marketplace and gumtree so far - might be worth having a look there?

Just picked up the car from Fulcrum. Spec sheet below. The only thing that stands out to me is trying to increase front negative camber to around -1.5deg. I'm happy with the rear camber for now but would like a bit more on the front.

Installed:
Whiteline RCA kit (#KCA313)
Whiteline Anti-Lift (#KCA334)
Whiteline H/duty steering rack bushes (#KSR207)
Whiteline Control arm bushes, front inner (#W0506)
Whiteline 22mm adj Rear Swaybar + endlinks + lateral arms (#BSR49XZ)

It's peak hour traffic so the car is parked up in the garage until it quietens down a bit but immediately I've noticed the rear sway bar. The rear end feels way more solid, even in a straight line. Took a very tight roundabout and the back end was completely flat and very controlled. I suspect the rear endlinks (spherical ball joints) are transmitting some NVH into the cabin - it's definitely noticeable and I may source some 'softer' end links if it gets too much.
The steering feel is heavier but feels more compliant in how it responds to bumps and undulations. The steering rack is still terrible and I think it will be best to swap it to an STi rack.

I'll take the car for a drive tonight and see how she goes. It's funny though - having firmer suspension and all of that starts making all the stock things start to feel too soft. The brake pedal and steering rack are the two things that stand out to me as being a bit too relaxed compared to the rest of the car.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:39 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 974
Location: Brisbane
Good write-up.

If you went for Whiteline rear swaybar end links - make sure you keep your OEM rear end links handy and watch the tightness of the whiteline bolts (where it meets the swaybar) on a weekly basis. Eg mark the "tight" position with paint.

Throw a nylock nut and some locktite over the existing nut if you have to.

Try to keep them out of the habit of "wandering loose" because it's all downhill from there.

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:41 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Posts: 2421
Location: S.E. Melbourne
I definitely noticed the car was more balanced on track with the vented rears on constant braking, but I've found it doesn't do much on the street (as predicted).

I'm about to put my quick rack in (near future) so I'll let you know. You could get the WRX (non STI) rack and would be an upgrade from the stock rack.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
Current: '09 SH9 XTP (click)

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:12 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 146
Location: Australia
Yowie wrote:
Good write-up.

If you went for Whiteline rear swaybar end links - make sure you keep your OEM rear end links handy and watch the tightness of the whiteline bolts (where it meets the swaybar) on a weekly basis. Eg mark the "tight" position with paint.

Throw a nylock nut and some locktite over the existing nut if you have to.

Try to keep them out of the habit of "wandering loose" because it's all downhill from there.


Thanks for the heads up. They didn't put the stock bits back in the car so I just went and picked them up just in case I need them. They are whiteline end links so will keep an eye on them. Worst case scenario I swap them out and put the stock ones in, but I have read the stock links can break with the stiffer bar putting more load through them.

dwee. wrote:
I definitely noticed the car was more balanced on track with the vented rears on constant braking, but I've found it doesn't do much on the street (as predicted).
I'm about to put my quick rack in (near future) so I'll let you know. You could get the WRX (non STI) rack and would be an upgrade from the stock rack.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yeah the rear rotors would basically be an aesthetic and peace of mind choice over chasing actual benefit on the road.

I'll be following your thread with interest to see how the steering rack goes. My 06 STi had a Spec C rack and DAMD wheel and both of those in tandem made for an excellent drive with so much feedback through the wheel. Definitely felt like the car was on its toes - so agile. God I miss that car. :cry: :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Posts: 901
Location: Sydney
I think changing the rotors would assist somewhat. Better pads would be a big win. My comment was more related to replacing the stock rear calipers with Liberty GT calipers - doesn’t seem worth the cost and effort for a daily driver.

_________________
2011 S-Edition SWP


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 am 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 146
Location: Australia
jonp wrote:
I think changing the rotors would assist somewhat. Better pads would be a big win. My comment was more related to replacing the stock rear calipers with Liberty GT calipers - doesn’t seem worth the cost and effort for a daily driver.


I've settled on just getting some DBA T2 replacement rotors for the rear and will order some QFM HPX pads F+R. I'll re-use the stock lines to keep costs down and may order a master cylinder brace down the track. The wife has put the hard word on me to keep costs down so I guess I'll have to do my best to comply! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 974
Location: Brisbane
JamesMR_ wrote:
The wife has put the hard word on me to keep costs down so I guess I'll have to do my best to comply! :lol:


"But brakes are all about safety! You wouldn't want to have a less safe car would you dear?"

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:53 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Posts: 146
Location: Australia
Yowie wrote:
JamesMR_ wrote:
The wife has put the hard word on me to keep costs down so I guess I'll have to do my best to comply! :lol:


"But brakes are all about safety! You wouldn't want to have a less safe car would you dear?"


Hmm seeing as she drives the car more than I do - I might get away with this approach! :lol:
I'm thinking about the whiteline endlinks - I think I do want to swap them with something that won't transmit so much NVH into the cabin. Considering the stock endlinks are to suit a 16mm bar and I've heard stories of these snapping with a thicker bar, I'm wondering whether a pair of STi endlinks would suit (or indeed fit) as they were designed for an 18mm bar in the MY08 and a 19mm bar MY10+.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm 
User avatar

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Posts: 974
Location: Brisbane
My stock endlinks support a Whilteline 22mm rear bar (middle setting) no worries.

One of my Whiteline end links eventually broke at the threaded steel bit (through swaybar) - probably weakened from too much time being loose.

To my eyes the stock end links look at least as strong as the whitelines (eg steel main body rather than alloy).

Bram manufactures super-strong end links on custom order if you want to put the "strength" matter behind you for good.

_________________
My build thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=54775


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BEEFY_XT and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
"Takka LE" for phpBB3